Ricky Fowler -Wrong Drop

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
So how is it any 'less stupid' than the 'Dropping from Shoulder height' one? Or the Drop over the shoulder one?

Btw. I'm not a geat fan of it either, but wouldn't describe it as 'stupid' because I know what its purpose is!
It's not saving time if you can re-drop without penalty.
BTW the drop over the shoulder rule change was sensible, this one isn't.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I've had a few drops since the new rules and had no problem at all, in the main the ball has landed and stopped almost on the spot I've dropped it on - we'll all get used to it in no time

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I wonder how quickly the R&A can amend a rule. While I understood their initial explanation for the change it is clear it’s not working. Shoulder to knee drop is the right way to go

Why is it clear it's not working?

If he and his caddy can't be bothered to learn and memorise the new rules then he deserves the penalty coming his way.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The idea is , I believe, less need for 're drops, players less likely to be placing the ball and getting a perfect lie. Ultimately though there has been enough publicity about this change and so for a pro to forget is a bit embarrassing.

I'm not defending the change by the way, I can see arguments and issues all season around 'was that knee height or not.

D

Deleted member 1147

It's not like they need to take drops every round. It was probably Rory's first drop under the new rules! Easy mistake to make.
You’re kidding, pros take more drops than I do.
How often do you see them drop because of line of sight obstacles, sprinkler heads, cart paths etc etc

D

Deleted member 18588

Not just about this, you see people bending the leg slightly while dropping too.

So what!

I has already been established that iy is within the Rules to squat when dropping provided the ball is dropped from a height equivalent to the knee when standing.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
It just didn’t need changing!

in and of itself the rule did not need changing....however when you view the dropping rule alongside the change to the rule where the ball has to remain in the relief area (as opposed to last year where it could roll a further two club lengths) then there needed to be a change in the drop height to enable the ball to be more likely to remain in the relief area when dropping on sloping ground.