Rick Garg

Swinger

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Wow. Only just heard and not sure what to say. Thought Rick was the kind of guy to go on forever. Very sad times for a lot of people with all the good work Rick has done. My thoughts go out to his family. Godspeed.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'll be honest, the first time I met Rick I remember asking some of the NW lads "Do you think he's a genuine fella", the cynic that I am - they all said yes. Over the course of that H4H weekend and further times, he was to prove that he was a genuine fella, and much, much more. He was a true gentleman.

He had a natural enthusiasm for life and golf, and most of all something that very few people have - charisma. You knew that if he was at a meet, it wouldn't just be a game of golf, it would be a bet, banter, beers and burgers. I was lucky enough to have 3-4 games in his company and all were a pleasure. When I was first thinking of captains for the Trump trip, Rick was the first person I thought of for the southern lads. I knew that him coming would also bring another 10-12 people, as you couldn't help but get carried along in the whirlwind of enthusiasm that he brought with him.

In that first game, me and another guy didn't give him a free drop from what he was asking may have been a rabbit scrape - I said if the rabbit had a "club foot", and that foot was an 8 iron, then ok. He burst out laughing, took it in the right spirit and carried on, without any repercussions.

I only found out about what happened on Sunday night on the course, and after hearing the terrible news last night, I was absolutely gutted. Rick (and Richart)are the type of fellas who in no small measure have united the forum from north to south, through the H4H meet, and the forum is a better place for it, and genuinely, is like a well spread out family.

I'm sure he's asking St. Peter if Pearly gates get free relief, as we speak.

Condolences to Rick's family, and close friends. Rest well, fella.

great words Peter

JCW

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Trying to take it in , Just found out this morning , He came to a golf trip I had arranged for the HDIDO forum at Formby Hall in 2009 , I played with him too that weekend and We had dinner in a pub he stayed in on his way up as we travel back home after the weekend , Got some stories about him , made me laugh at times with the stuff he got up too , just very sad day as I was planning to get up and play his home course , but such is life , busy busy , RIP my friend , yours is a light that will shine on .............................EYG

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
Shocked to find out this news. As others have said, Rick was a true gent and certainly made a lasting impression on me.

Was fortunate enough to be paired with him a number of times over the years and every time I'm sure I've ended up in tears of laughter, when he's got himself into certain predicaments and receiving untold amounts of stick for it (usually from Smiffy or Paul :D). Always so much pre-round faff as well. It's a wonder he ever made it to the 1st tee.

His fashion choices were abhorrent, but he wouldn't have been Rick wearing anything else.

My thoughts go out to Karen and Jodie (who he would always beam with pride over) and to those who knew him well.

RIP mate.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
I am deeply saddened by this terrible and shocking news.

I had the absolute pleasure of playing with Rick a few times and will cherish the memories.

A very special person who would always make you feel welcome.

RIP mate.

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Absolutely shocked to read this this morning. I never got to play with Rick but met him a few times at various meets. One of the most friendly and genuine people you could hope to meet.
Rest in peace.

D

Deleted member 18588

Didn't see this until last night and having, yesterday, attended the funeral of one of my very closest and dearest friends I just couldn't find the right words.

Still can't really but I can only add to the wonderful tributes already paid to Rick.

Only a true gent could have commiserated with me when, at Mentmore last year, I twitched a putt on the final green. Rick knew that, as a result, he had beaten me on countback but rather than celebrate or gloat his first action was to put an arm round my shoulder and sincerely say "Hard luck mate, you played well."

I just hope that there is a Mid-Am Tour "up there" that you can play every day and that the greens are true.

God bless to a real golfing gent!

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
A bit of a shock, because he seemed to be a fit healthy bloke. Although we occasionally crossed swords (or should that be pens or keyboards) on this forum, I did play a few rounds with him and he was good company. My condolences to his wife, family and friends. RIP Rick.

JCW

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Maybe Golf Monthly should arrange a golf day in his name each year and we all meet up and play for a Trophy in his name and raise money for charity at the same time , Just an idea and all playing should dress in colours galore as a mark of respect to him .....................Any funeral details yet ? ..................RIP RG

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
So, so sad to read this.
Rick was one of the very few people from this forum I met in real life when he was kind enough to host me at Centurion. We had a great day despite my presence reducing his game to that of a Hacker.
My sincere condolences to his wife and daughter

RW1986

Head Pro
Visit site
I think think it would only be right if the first one was held up at the Centurion Club.
so I'd be happy to arrange a golf day with help from people from here and MikeH for a summer date next year...
I'd have to speak to the club of course but I'd hope some of the money paid would go towards Air Ambulance and also Harefield Hospital.

Rick W

Maybe Golf Monthly should arrange a golf day in his name each year and we all meet up and play for a Trophy in his name and raise money for charity at the same time , Just an idea and all playing should dress in colours galore as a mark of respect to him .....................Any funeral details yet ? ..................RIP RG

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
We will definitely do something to honour Rick, What form it takes and whether it is part of or separate to the H4H day will be discussed later. But not now.

May I ask that this thread is limited to tributes and memories of Rick. I know Karen has read the thread and hope she gains some comfort from the posts.

Thank you

Three

Tour Rookie
Visit site
This thread speaks volumes about a guy that many of you obviously had massive regard for.
Sorry to read the news.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Oh my goodness! what an absolute shock and such a huge loss.

Everyone who met Rick was touched by him, initially because of the brightness of his clothing, then by his charisma, charm, energy and enthusiasm.

So many of us have spent time with him and will miss him greatly. He was such a friendly man, kind, supportive and so very generous (both financially and with his time) and he was a proper gentleman, so very proud of his wife and daughter that he'd mention them constantly.

I was lucky to stay at his house a couple of times, on one occasion we played 5 rounds over 3 days, one night he plugged in his electric guitar and we sang karaoke songs until 4am, then woke up at 6am and stood on the 1st tee at 7am... oh my God we played sooooo very badly!!

My thoughts obviously go out to his family but also to Richart and his wife who have lost a very, very close friend indeed.

I take my hat off to his commitment to Help for Heroes, I'm sure the forum will never forget him and he will be fondly remembered by many.

He had that kind of a life that many of us would have wanted. He certainly lived it to the fullest and has been taken from us far too soon.

Rest in Peace RickG

fCsNNuk.gif

Bigfoot

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Wow ! This is terrible news. My condolences to Karen and Jodie. I have only known Rick through the forum and met him at meets and finally played with him at Woburn in the rain. He was a pleasure to play with. Great company and his hard work for others deserves great support in return. He will be greatly missed.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
We will definitely do something to honour Rick, What form it takes and whether it is part of or separate to the H4H day will be discussed later. But not now.

May I ask that this thread is limited to tributes and memories of Rick. I know Karen has read the thread and hope she gains some comfort from the posts.

Thank you

Bang on, talk of a golf day can continue when wounds of Ricks passing are beginning to heal. I'm sure we all would like to see something but agree this thread should be about tributes

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Oh my goodness! what an absolute shock and such a huge loss.

Everyone who met Rick was touched by him, initially because of the brightness of his clothing, then by his charisma, charm, energy and enthusiasm.

So many of us have spent time with him and will miss him greatly. He was such a friendly man, kind, supportive and so very generous (both financially and with his time) and he was a proper gentleman, so very proud of his wife and daughter that he'd mention them constantly.

I was lucky to stay at his house a couple of times, on one occasion we played 5 rounds over 3 days, one night he plugged in his electric guitar and we sang karaoke songs until 4am, then woke up at 6am and stood on the 1st tee at 7am... oh my God we played sooooo very badly!!

My thoughts obviously go out to his family but also to Richart and his wife who have lost a very, very close friend indeed.

I take my hat off to his commitment to Help for Heroes, I'm sure the forum will never forget him and he will be fondly remembered by many.

He had that kind of a life that many of us would have wanted. He certainly lived it to the fullest and has been taken from us far too soon.

Rest in Peace RickG

fCsNNuk.gif

Very well written James. I only knew when this thread went up and never actually had the privilege of playing with him, but everything you wrote is spot on.

Last time I chatted to him he said that he hadn't forgotten that he had promised me a game at Centurion - my big regret is not missing out on the course because I'd have played the worst goat track in the world if it had been with Ri, but I do so wish he was still here to enjoy his company on the course

Last edited: