Rickg Memorial Trophy 2020

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Well the rain tried to put a dampener on it but failed and another excellent forum meet was held, many thanks to Fish for all the hard work you put in to make the day a success.

I won't give anything away re the amount raised or who won but I had an enjoyable round with a couple of Coventry members, the course was great and food delicious.

I didn't lose a ball but still had too many blobs for a 28 point total.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Well organised again Robin and I am sure that the effort that you put into this is far more than we imagine. In the current climate this is doubly so.

Despite a couple of loud rounds of thunder making me feel somewhat uneasy about half way around it was an enjoyable time alongside two of the RTR boys Chris and CJ. Chris was unlucky not to be in the prizes having played well, falling a point short. The look on CJ's face when he realised that there was a prize for coming last and that it was a very good putter was priceless.

I started blob, blob and was on just 4 pts after 5 holes. I then went on to score 30 pts in my remaining 13 holes, to give a total of 34, to show what may have been. The better scores came with the rain so maybe I'm best in the wet.

teegirl

Head Pro
Visit site
We smiled we laughed and we got very very wet. Thanks for organising Robin and thank you so much Pat and Tony for the great company....... We did alright didnt we ??
Still brings tears to my eyes when I read words about Rick, so pleased the forum continue to fundraise in his memory.
Great day!!

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Back home and wringing out the masses of wet stuff, and reflecting that if the rain had started 1/2 an hour earlier we might have had to stop as some of the greens were turning into lakes.

Thankfully we finished, it was great to play with Old Skier and Ron from the Royal Tank Regiment golf society, given the weather I’m quite happy with my 28 points with 0, zero, nadda blobs.

Thanks to Robin for letting me bag r the last place, another well planned and well executed meet

The White Trousered one would be suitably proud ?

full_throttle

Tour Winner
Visit site
Many thanks to Robin (Fish) for organising this once again, also thank you to all the sponsors, and to the staff of Coventry Golf Club.

Very happy with a NTP prize, disappointed with my score but the day wasn't about the golf, it was to remember an old friend and raise vital funds for the British Heart Foundation.

Already looking forward to next years event,

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thoroughly enjoyable day being able to catch up briefly with old mates under the current situation and hats off to Coventry GC and Robin for a superbly organised day.
The rain was somewhat persistent for the second half of the round but the course stood up well I thought, indeed the course was extremely well presented and Martin as ever very welcoming in the Pro shop.
Both my guests enjoyed the day and they hope can be there next year as I know will I be .
Once again cheers Robin , top job (y)

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Great day and the lads I roped in thought is was something they would love to be involved in again. Great organisation by @Fish and great to play with @PhilTheFragger who did well to keep the dreaded blob of the scorecard. Started on the long par 6 fifth with a birdie and proceeded to go down hill fast from there. Thanks to @GG26 for keeping Chris in line.

Looking forward to the next meet.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Well what a day, where the preparation started almost as soon as last years finished, and saw me on the course racing around at 6am putting out all the sponsored hole & challenge cards on each tee block plus our sponsors banners.

Stewart Golf 1st.jpg Crow Card.jpg RMH Same Day Couriers Banner.jpg BHF Banner.jpg

Forum members and their guests arrived, and after a bacon roll & coffee, started to warm up in readiness to take on the course, which was looking great.

R1.jpg R2.jpg R3.jpg R4.jpg

The raffle table was very well supported, and the prize table was full of quality items donated by our sponsors.

R5.jpg R6.jpg

TBC....

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Stewart Golf was our headline sponsor who donated a RS-1 Push Trolley and Cart Bag. R.M.H Same Day Couriers sponsored the 1st Guest prize and 2nd & 3rd overall prizes. Benross sponsored the Team (best card) prize. Martin Sutliff (CGC Pro) sponsored all the NTP Par 3's. Redwood Landscape & Consultancy (Robert Klein) sponsored the Best Gross prize. Rewmar sponsored the Longest Drive & NTP in 2 prize. Garry Carr sponsored the Wooden Spoon prize.

R7.jpg R8.jpg R9.jpg R11.jpg

R12.jpg R13.jpg R14.jpg R15.jpg

R10.jpg

A huge thank you to all our sponsors of the day, especially during these difficult times (y)

TBC.....

Fish

Banned
Visit site
You always receive an excellent welcome at Coventry Golf Club.

Rickg Welcome.jpg

The divot bag holder on the 1st tee was an excellent stand for the Rickg banner to be displayed.

Rickg Banner.jpg

This is the carving which was made by Veterans Woodcraft that forum members were playing for.

Rickg Trophy.jpg

Both the winning forum member and a guest win a 1st prize trophy to keep.

1st Prize.jpg 1st Guest.jpg

We started dry, smiling...

Dry Start.jpg

and finished like drowned rats, but still smiling :)

Wet Finished.jpg

TBC..

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Right, down to the nitty gritty.

Challenges:

Nearest the pin 5th: Fullthrottle
Fullthrottle.jpg

Nearest the pin 7th: Teegirl
Teegirl 5th.jpg

Nearest the Pin 15th: Crow
Crow.jpg

Nearest the pin 17th: Pokerjoke
Pokerjoke.jpg

Nearest the pin in 2: RTR Ron
RTR Ron.jpg

Longest Drive 6th: Teegirl
Teegirl 6th.jpg

Longest Drive 16th: Jason Smith
Jason 16th.jpg

Well done to you all.

TBC...

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Now for the main parade....

Wooden Spoon: RTR CJ (I've never seen someone so happy to be last (y) )
CJ.jpg

3rd Place: RTR Carl
RTR Carl.jpg

2nd Place: Andy Thomas (collected on his behalf by Jason)
OBO Andy Thomas.jpg

1st Place (Guest) Pat Murphy (Coventry Captain)
Guest Winner Pat (Capt).jpg

Best Team Card score: Pat, Pokerjoke & Teegirl
Team Winners.jpg

Forum scores ranged from 19 - 36, so no silly scores were recorded.

With 9 holes of dry weather and 9 of solid consistent rain, throw in some tricky pin positions, it was a real test off our whites with the blocks quite far back on some holes.

So everyone did very well for sticking it out, which I thank you all for, and would have been the spirit that Rick would have shown (y)

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Ladies & Gentlemen, I am proud to present the 2020 winner of the Rickg Memorial Trophy, and subsequently the Best Gross prize also, to........

Upsidedown (Ben)
Upsidedown 2.jpg Upsidedown 4.jpg

Well done Ben (y)

Huge thanks to my club, Coventry (Finham) Golf Club for working so hard to make this happen, it was touch & go so many times with guidelines constantly changing.

Thank you to everyone who attended, I am still finalising some details with 2 clubs in the running for next year to hold this annual event.

Both courses are forum favourites, I hope to announce something formally in the coming weeks.

We raised a magnificent £1,730.50 which under all the challenges we faced, was an excellent achievement, thank you one and all

I'm going back to bed now.......