Random Irritations

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
As a regular cinema goer, I quite enjoy "pitting my wits" against the committee & seeing where we agree or disagree.

My irritation as far as this is concerned is that you can no longer go to the cinema and see all the candidates. You now need Netflix or Amazon or Apple or whatever to see all the candidates, which I have no desire to do.

Not seen Parasite so cannot judge, but was it THAT good? Or after a lot of criticism of the academy for being old and white did they just throw everything at the ethnic film to save face?

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Not seen Parasite so cannot judge, but was it THAT good? Or after a lot of criticism of the academy for being old and white did they just throw everything at the ethnic film to save face?

Haven't managed to see that one yet, but certainly agree with the best actor & actress awards from the ones we've seen and the ones that 1917 picked up.

See your point, but I suspect the academy are too entrenched in their opinions to be concerned about what others think of them.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
He's got a perfect excuse, that being the way he learnt the game facing his father who was a righty.

Out of interest do you feel the same about Bob Charles, Mike Weir, Ben Hogan, Johnny Miller, Greg Norman, Curtis Strange, Nick Price, David Graham & Byron Nelson? They apparently all played from their non-natural side.

Mike Weir, never liked him. Looks clunky.

Wolf

Visit site
Jordan Spieth is left handed!
Probably why he can't find a fairway ?

He's got a perfect excuse, that being the way he learnt the game facing his father who was a righty.

Out of interest do you feel the same about Bob Charles, Mike Weir, Ben Hogan, Johnny Miller, Greg Norman, Curtis Strange, Nick Price, David Graham & Byron Nelson? They apparently all played from their non-natural side.
Weird how the brain interprets mirror image copying of functions. I learnt to play snooker and pool from my Dad as a kid in working men's clubs, because i was opposite side of table mirroring his actions it felt more natural to me to play left handed. Even though dad plays right handed snooker, and I'm naturally right handed in all things, but soon as I pick a snooker cue up I'm left handed all the way.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site

It was THAT good, best film of last year by a long way. I've watched all the nominated films and Parasite stood out head and shoulders above the rest.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Probably why he can't find a fairway ?

Weird how the brain interprets mirror image copying of functions. I learnt to play snooker and pool from my Dad as a kid in working men's clubs, because i was opposite side of table mirroring his actions it felt more natural to me to play left handed. Even though dad plays right handed snooker, and I'm naturally right handed in all things, but soon as I pick a snooker cue up I'm left handed all the way.

Ditto. Learnt my snooker from dad. Used to drive my dad nuts. Weirdly, I use the rest right handed.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
almost getting knocked over twice by tossers on bikes this morning - the first was screaming and shouting at people crossing the road as she went through a red light and the second was riding on the wrong side of the road.

I might have directed some bad language at them

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
The usual farce over here in Spain when you're waiting on a parcel. Not the courier's fault, although you would think that after 14 years they would know of the new area around the village. From yesterday, when the delivery was out in the van... "we can't find Huerta Nueva, and we've never heard of Los Cerezos." At least we didn't have the problem explaining that although the plot number is 6 the house number is 12.

We have great fun with the utility companies. We're still having fun explaining to the utility companies that send bills to number 6 instead of plot 6(number 12)… actually, it isn't much fun when they cut the electricity and gas because they haven't been able to do their 5 year inspection. They cut it remotely. You get on the phone and shout in Spanglish - everyone shouts out here, and it gets put back on remotely. The good thing is they'll reconnect before the inspection.

And don't get me started on the b'band. We pay for 30mb... if it gets to 4mb its a minor miracle. And if you want to watch an England game when the rest of the expat community are tuning in.

But at least its forecast to reach 22* today;)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
When I spoon out my porridge in the morning, the static created by the packaging that it's in causes oats to jump off the spoon and fly in all directions all over the work surface. You would think by the year 2020 they would have been able invent a suitable non-static wrapper for porridge oats wouldn't you?

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When I spoon out my porridge in the morning, the static created by the packaging that it's in causes oats to jump off the spoon and fly in all directions all over the work surface. You would think by the year 2020 they would have been able invent a suitable non-static wrapper for porridge oats wouldn't you?
Have you considered that it's not the oats or their packaging, but you and your clothing that's created the static?
I bet if you were to touch something earthed (like a fridge casing) before going to your oats you wouldn't have an issue.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Have you considered that it's not the oats or their packaging, but you and your clothing that's created the static?
I bet if you were to touch something earthed (like a fridge casing) before going to your oats you wouldn't have an issue.
No because they literally jump back towards the packaging as I'm lifting the spoon out.