Random Irritations

PaulMdj

Visit site
News outlets reporting the riots in Hartlepool are linked to the stabbing in Stockport. Just how are they linked?
If you mean Southport, there were/are message boards on the internet/X etc calling for protests against immigrants after the misinformation put out over the scumbag who murdered the kids.
One of the protests was arranged in Hartlepool.

Paperboy

Mini Cam
Visit site
Expenses. I have to go through an umbrella company due to IR35 (another irritation). So although the company I work for and the company that pay the umbrella company have approved my expenses.

The umbrella company have not put them through as non taxable. So for this weeks wages I'm around £500 down, good job I wasn't relying on the expenses money for my outgoings this month.
I've had to fill out a questionnaire about where I'll be working duration etc, before I can even resubmit my expenses for a third time if they believe I should be getting expenses :mad:

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Hotel Parking. I stay at hotels when travelling for business and had to use a rental car earlier in the year. I got an email saying that I was being charged for parking at a hotel that I was staying at and had registered my car for. The rental company paid it early (£60) then invoiced our fleet management company and then they sent me an email saying that I £60 + £50 admin charge(!) would be taken from my salary.
I contacted the hotel who confirmed that the charge was incorrect and sent me a cancellation note. But as the bill had already been paid then the proof would have to be sent to the rental company, who would query it with the parking company and, if cancelled by them I would "eventually" get my salary reimbursed. The incident happened on 15th May and I first heard of this on 27th July. At no time was I contacted to be asked if this charge was correct.
Now I have to contact our payroll to ask for the money not to be taken from my salary and await the reimbursement from the parking company.
To say I'm fuming is an understatement!

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Pigeons again

So the little 💩 were starting to build their nest behind the sat dish as they do , harmless really and the spotted them and each morning says hello to them and then when she comes back from holiday camp looks and checks the nest they have built getting really excited at the thought of chicks

This morning it looks like the nest has fallen off and it upset the daughter as she saw the pigeon then at the bottom looking at the pile of twigs

She is hoping they try again - I’m hoping he little 💩 do it on the opposite house 😂

Morfeen75

Visit site
Nothing to do with Brexit, 100% due to lack of staff.
I disagree, i agree they do have a staff shortages but that is not 100% the issue. Stamping passports takes between 10-30 seconds per person. That is a direct result of Brexit. The amount of visitors they have in peak months there are always going to be delays.

I have travelled throughout Europe with my job over the last 9months and everywhere we've been, we've had longer waiting times to get through passport control.
The British people are now treated as 2nd class citizens.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
All these years on and still people deny thats it's been anything other than a disaster. Bonkers.
It was certainly a disaster for my own business. Increases in costs and delays that didn't exist previously. It's strange but customers just weren't willing to pay extra for longer lead times.

For larger businesses that could absorb these costs it probably hasn't felt as bad, but for the sole traders relying on European components, it was an unmitigated disaster.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
It was certainly a disaster for my own business. Increases in costs and delays that didn't exist previously. It's strange but customers just weren't willing to pay extra for longer lead times.

For larger businesses that could absorb these costs it probably hasn't felt as bad, but for the sole traders relying on European components, it was an unmitigated disaster.
It has still been a real issue. Increased admin costs for bringing stuff over the border, variable VAT rates, extra paperwork. Maybe the business can absorb the costs, but for multinationals who deal across borders, it's made things so much more complicated.
Anybody with any sense could see this was going to happen. I've not really seen any major benefit from leaving the EU.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
It has still been a real issue. Increased admin costs for bringing stuff over the border, variable VAT rates, extra paperwork. Maybe the business can absorb the costs, but for multinationals who deal across borders, it's made things so much more complicated.
Anybody with any sense could see this was going to happen. I've not really seen any major benefit from leaving the EU.
We took our country back bruv! I mean, yeah there's been some minor consequences but, y'know.. Sovereignty an all that guv.

It's been like the guy that takes a 10 mile detour to avoid a half mile tail back.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
We took our country back bruv! I mean, yeah there's been some minor consequences but, y'know.. Sovereignty an all that guv.

It's been like the guy that takes a 10 mile detour to avoid a half mile tail back.
That was the problem with the arguments. Appealing to peoples logic is never going to be as powerful as appealing to their emotions (and delusions).

Mandofred

Visit site
I bought a stupidly big lawn mower for the move to the new house. Piece of junk and just want to return it. Bought it from Amazon (Hyundai mower). Tried the returns.....they forward you to Hyundai......who send you back to Amazon. At this rate, somebody is going to get a mower fairly cheap on Gumtree. I should have bought a battery mower......

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
Maybe I have a more cynical view of how life is at the moment.
European airports are generally terrible for passport control. Usually 2 booths open for non EU passports when a couple of flights roll in at once. Zurich is a shocker for it. I’ve spent too much time in queues there for work

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
European airports are generally terrible for passport control. Usually 2 booths open for non EU passports when a couple of flights roll in at once. Zurich is a shocker for it. I’ve spent too much time in queues there for work
So, the problem is not Brexit, just shocking lack of staffing.
Sometimes there are huge delays at Heathrow. Experienced those a few times coming back from the States 1995 - 2008.