Random Irritations

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Saw an interview from someone who turned a slot down the other week. Apparently it is way below normal rates and it can end up actually costing some people. If you get a slot that is going to be shown on BBC then it is worth it but if not then it may not be apparently.
Obviously they will have done some research and I get the fact that a BBC audience will always get the name to a bigger audience but I would have thought the kudos of being at the festival is something that could be used well in future publicity. I guess if you add in band costs, travel, any accommodation then it may not be viable for all and I know from conversations Fish has put out there since Covid there are so many bands trying to get live shows in a dwindling number of venues who are all charging more than pre-Covid and so it is becoming harder and harder to make any level of touring in particular, but playing live cost effective

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The BBC. I just despair. The reigning Wimbledon Champion is on Centre Court and they're not covering it. Not on BBC1 or BBC2 and not on the red button. They get worse when I think it's impossible to do so. Recent coverage at Eastbourne was equally rubbish at times.

I imagine it will start at 2pm on BBC1. So the opening 30 minutes will be missed - it's bloody disrespectful if you ask me NOT to cover his match from the start. Instead we've got Medvedev on Court 1 and Court 12 on the red button. Well done BBC...

Wait a minute (it's stopped raining!). We're moving to it now but not before a piece on Alcarez. Why not cover from the first point? Even from the warm up. Useless.
I really hate it when they start swapping matches between channels around 7pm. Just keep the tennis on 1 channel, probably BBC2 and leave BBC1 alone for the other stuff (although it will just be election rubbish!)

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Driving up the M74 this morning in the middle Lane starting to overtake a coach. No problem so far. Still in the middle lane on on his tail when he indicates and starts moving out.

Surely coach drivers should know better and whilst I swerved slightly into the outside lane he then starting getting all excited on his horn as if it was my fault!

RichA

Visit site
The Jersey Royal potatoes that MrsA buys every time (thankfully rare) that she goes into a supermarket in the summer.
They're always bashed, cut and bruised; they're often a bit manky with rot; they're less tasty than and 3 times the price of the Tesco baby new potatoes I normally buy.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The Jersey Royal potatoes that MrsA buys every time (thankfully rare) that she goes into a supermarket in the summer.
They're always bashed, cut and bruised; they're often a bit manky with rot; they're less tasty than and 3 times the price of the Tesco baby new potatoes I normally buy.

I had the first of my new potatoes today fresh out the ground, they were delicious can’t beat home grown 👍

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
My missus is currently having a fancy for pop tarts. The trouble is, every time she says "I think I'll have a pop tart", this image goes through my mind..

S02E08-1zUk6XBq-subtitled.jpg

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Murray (and others) leaving it until the last minute to say if they are playing at Wimbledon. Late withdrawals aren’t fair on the opponent, the replacement or the public and you should state if you are playing or not before the tournament starts

Agreed. I think 3 women withdrew yesterday and a couple of men. Not fair on their opponent and the paying fans.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Fella on a motorbike this morning (when it was still full dark) no lights no hi-viz (law here) riding on country road so no street lights. his only nod to staying alive was the small torch he held in his mouth
1 min later, same road, again no hi-viz, two headlights come towards me but it was 3 motorbikes, 2 where acting as outriders for the bloke in the middle who had no lights at all!

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Motorway roadworks. Again.

I’ve just completed a 230 mile round trip, just under 200 miles of which was on motorways.

A frankly jaw dropping NINETY miles of that was through roadworks. Ninety.

When I say roadworks I do of course mean cones, with 50mph speed limits and very little work going on.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Motorway roadworks. Again.

I’ve just completed a 230 mile round trip, just under 200 miles of which was on motorways.

A frankly jaw dropping NINETY miles of that was through roadworks. Ninety.

When I say roadworks I do of course mean cones, with 50mph speed limits and very little work going on.
Was it up the M1? Did Leicester to Barnsley and back at the weekend and it was just as you described.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
It was M25 and M1 as far as Derby. Glad I didn’t have to tag on the M1 north of Derby/Nottingham - that would have tipped me over the edge.

The M25 has been largely roadwork free between the M1 and Dartford for quite a while now, but the cones are out either side of the M11 for a considerable distance at the moment, and seem to be extending by the day.

A lot of the intended work seems to be adding emergency refuges now there has been an acceptance that smart motorways are inherently unsafe.