Random Irritations

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
Do you not know that NO parts of the Highway Code apply to cyclists, apparently?
Yes, but the speed limit one was new to me, apparently under the Road Traffic Act speed limits apply only to “mechanically propelled vehicles” which might cause a bit of head scratching as to the status of electric bikes, i.e was the motor engaged or not?

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
+1 for Paragon. Not used the other two.
Also take a look at Charter Bank.
I have a few accounts in Paragon, the 120day access is a nice balance of return and access.
Aldermore and Shawbrook I use for my company monies, rather than having it all in the current account and not earn anything.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
No speed limits for cyclists is to all intents and purposes a non problem.
Very few cyclists pedal fast enough to go above the speed limit on any kind of consistent basis.The few who can and who flagrantly pedal dangerously probably would not stop they break plenty of other laws. Enforcing the speed limit for drivers is done very poorly anyway.
I live on a residential road with a school on it. Every day I see drivers speeding, a minority but always some . I've yet to see a cyclist going fast along it.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Being able to book online with a national tyre replacement chain but not being able to change the booking online.....
Makes perfect sense.... :rolleyes:

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
On the packet of blue cheese I have been eating. Consume within 3 days of opening.
It's Cheese! This kind of thing annoys me as it encourages people to throw out perfectly edible food because the suppliers are covering their backside with these statements.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
On the packet of blue cheese I have been eating. Consume within 3 days of opening.
It's Cheese! This kind of thing annoys me as it encourages people to throw out perfectly edible food because the suppliers are covering their backside with these statements.

You made blue cheese last 3 days? That's serious self control .. 🤣

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Competency based interviews.

I despise them. it seems only our senior management rate them.. just teach you to lie to meet the competencies (apparently past behavior is key to future performance ) I mean its nothing to do with why we dont get the right people through as trainees because the ones who could do it cant pass those type of interviews .. much prefer scenario based interviews where your given a failure and asked "what would your actions be" actually about the job.

anyways ive been talked into going for trainer by my boss. even though Im really not up for the sheer level of work increase for the very little pay difference between me and trainer. However he convinced me to go for it. I owe him to at least try.

So my 10 min powerpoint is complete. did that a month ago.

the interview competencies just drive me insane . got 3 examples ready and just need one more.. very much "look at me im the hero of the hour" rather than "look how team work makes the dream work"

ah well be over by the weekend

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Premium bonds.

@williamalex1 this isn't to be overlooked

With an investment of that size (assuming your ISA is maxed out) I'd be tempted to put 20k in a 5% paying account then maybe premium bond the rest

As you will be taxed on interest over £1000 so at least anything in premium bonds HMRC can't get their greedy mits on

Assuming ofc your not a higher rate tax payer then it's £500 or even an additional rate payer than it's £0

RichA

Visit site
Where could someone invest, say a £30/50 grand lump sum to get the best rates, without locking it away for a long period of time ?.
Just asking for a friend.
Checking back through Premium Bonds winnings over the last 12 months, my wife, my dad and I have a return of about 2.5%.

On the general advice of somebody on here, I've just opened an account with Flagstone and cashed in mine and MrsA's PBs to save there. There are a couple of instant access savings accounts at ~5% with Bank of London and HSBC that aren't accessible through normal personal banking. To me, it's more manageable than faffing about with multiple ISAs and the rate cancels out the tax free benefits of most ISAs.
I'm definitely not a savings and investment guru but it looks like the best easy option for somebody like me.

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
No speed limits for cyclists is to all intents and purposes a non problem.
Very few cyclists pedal fast enough to go above the speed limit on any kind of consistent basis.The few who can and who flagrantly pedal dangerously probably would not stop they break plenty of other laws. Enforcing the speed limit for drivers is done very poorly anyway.
I live on a residential road with a school on it. Every day I see drivers speeding, a minority but always some . I've yet to see a cyclist going fast along it.
Pretty much agree, the issue is more likely to arise in 20 mph zones, which has happened in Regents Park where a “fast group” of cyclists doing timed laps were thought to have been travelling up to 29 mph, one collided with a lady crossing the road and she was killed.

Last edited: