Random Irritations

Asian Dawn

Visit site
Peter "Bonkers" Hitchins. OK he writes for the Daily Fail as no-one else would ever employ him. Now he wants our favourite ISIS export to be allowed back into the country.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Haynes manuals were like the ultimate bible! They don’t make them anymore do they (or Atleast print them)

Mine for the Dolly Sprint was more oil than paper. I did my own servicing, and even replaced the clutch + a full head rebuild. I wouldn’t dream of lifting the bonnet on a modern car.

Mrs H bought me the Haynes manual for a Supermarine Spitfire several years back. Very disappointed that it didn’t have the level of detail of a proper Haynes manual.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That makes no sense.

Genuine question, how often have you used those services you mention?

In the last 6 months i have used them on 2 occasions and both times i waited 2hr 15 for the AA in a work veichle and 1hr 50mins RAC in my own veichle.

Having spoke to colleagues and friends who have used these services, the wait times havent decreased. The general consensus is the services have got worse

The issues that you have stated of services getting worse are the past 5 years correct? Manufacturers have been phasing the spare out for over a decade when the services were better

Just because services decrease doesn't mean they suddenly going to reintroduce them.

Considering they offer run flats or cans of filler as an option and break down cover picks up the slack it does make sense.

I've been lucky to have not had to use the AA / RAC for a while. Well I did have to call them out to jump my big car last year but I managed to get it going before they arrived so cancelled it (they were due within 40 mins at the time)

samthom99

Visit site
The issues that you have stated of services getting worse are the past 5 years correct? Manufacturers have been phasing the spare out for over a decade when the services were better

Just because services decrease doesn't mean they suddenly going to reintroduce them.

Considering they offer run flats or cans of filler as an option and break down cover picks up the slack it does make sense.

I've been lucky to have not had to use the AA / RAC for a while. Well I did have to call them out to jump my big car last year but I managed to get it going before they arrived so cancelled it (they were due within 40 mins at the time)
If you havent actually used these services, how do you know break down cover has improved??

For clarity this was your post

Improvement in break down cover (ie short call out times)

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you havent actually used these services, how do you know break down cover has improved??

For clarity this was your post

Improvement in break down cover (ie short call out times)

Again I refer you to the post above

When manufacturers started getting rid when was this? 2006 sort of time. My 2006 BMW didn't come with one

Break down cover had improved from the 90s for example.

But as I also said it was only one factor. There are many more reasons as I listed originally.

samthom99

Visit site
Again I refer you to the post above

When manufacturers started getting rid when was this? 2006 sort of time. My 2006 BMW didn't come with one

Break down cover had improved from the 90s for example.

But as I also said it was only one factor. There are many more reasons as I listed originally.
The 90's was 25yrs ago!! For someone who hasn't used a breakdown service for 15yrs you're very cocksure that your right. I know you usually like to have the last word on everything but you are actually talking rubbish on this occasion.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
After all this time, the amount of people who don't seem to realise the @PGATUOR account isn't trying to be serious 😬

Not really an irritation but didn't seem to fit on another thread.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The 90's was 25yrs ago!! For someone who hasn't used a breakdown service for 15yrs you're very cocksure that your right. I know you usually like to have the last word on everything but you are actually talking rubbish on this occasion.
Wind your neck in please. No need to be so aggressive.