Random Irritations

D

Deleted member 18588

Okay, I'll bite. It is perfectly legal but there are enough people who struggle with gambling, debts, addiction etc that a multi millionaire joking and promoting a gambling firm is not something I would do in similar circumstances. Promote something else but not something that creates genuine misery for many of the supporters who follow the game he works in.

There are talks about banning clubs from having betting firms as shirt sponsors. Why would that happen if all was well?
So do you think gambling should be banned because a small minority of those that gamble have an addiction problem.

In which case what about alcohol and the damage it has caused and continues to do so.

And tobacco. Promotion of such products has long since been banned yet people continue to smoke and become addicted.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Absolutely see your point but I think you're confusing Jose with someone who gives a monkeys......to be honest, do any of them in the upper echelons of celebrity.?
Absolutely. It's depressing really. Wave a cheque and most will come running no matter the product or service.

It's why we should not idolise individuals, other than Jennifer Anniston obviously.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
So do you think gambling should be banned because a small minority of those that gamble have an addiction problem.

In which case what about alcohol and the damage it has caused and continues to do so.

And tobacco. Promotion of such products has long since been banned yet people continue to smoke and become addicted.
I did not state gambling should be banned, just not promoted. People are free to make choices, whether to drink, smoke, gamble or all three at once.

D

Deleted member 16999

Okay, I'll bite. It is perfectly legal but there are enough people who struggle with gambling, debts, addiction etc that a multi millionaire joking and promoting a gambling firm is not something I would do in similar circumstances. Promote something else but not something that creates genuine misery for many of the supporters who follow the game he works in.

There are talks about banning clubs from having betting firms as shirt sponsors. Why would that happen if all was well?
I thought those in the game were banned from appearing in gambling adverts.

Yerry Mina was fined £10,000 a few years back by our FA after doing a gambling advert in Colombia.

Klopp also came under some pressure a few years back as well.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

Yerry Mina was fined £10,000 a few years back by our FA after doing a gambling advert in Colombia.
Well, they can hardly miss these ones can they?

To be fair, spurs fans might claim that Jose has not been a coach for a few months now so that is how he gets away with it? :LOL:

D

Deleted member 18588

I did not state gambling should be banned, just not promoted. People are free to make choices, whether to drink, smoke, gamble or all three at once.
So what is achieved by banning its promotion?

After all tobacco and alcohol addiction continue to be big problems.

Banning promotion is purely gesture politics. Something we are good at in this country.

D

Deleted member 16999

Banning promotion is purely gesture politics. Something we are good at in this country.
In this instance it’s nothing to do with gesture politics, it’s the risk of insider dealing with the PL players/managers etc.

Just read the FA Policy and the ban is only for Betting firms not gambling per sa.

D

Deleted member 18588

In this instance it’s nothing to do with gesture politics, it’s the risk of insider dealing with the PL players/managers etc.

Just read the FA Policy and the ban is only for Betting firms not gambling per sa.
But the previous posts were questioning why a "celebrity " would promote gambling.

I am well aware of the restrictions upon those in the game.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

If commercials have no impact then why is so much spent on them? They influence people and if we can reduce the number that we influence then that has to be a good thing. There is no one silver bullet to resolve these issues but surely stopping advertising is a very simple and easy one to do. It is more than gesture politics imo but perhaps not in yours. We will have to disagree on that (y)

I am conscious this thread has been sidetracked by this so I will bow out now. Feel free to reply but don't think i am taking the hump if I don't come back.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

Some people are addicted to eating but do we ban food adverts? Video games as well? Seems like a slippery slope to me. Addiction can come in countless forms, you can't ban everything.

Klopp also came under some pressure a few years back as well.
I think the Paddy Power advert with Jose was recorded when he was between jobs, so he'd get away with it on that basis I imagine.

D

Deleted member 16999

Some people are addicted to eating but do we ban food adverts? Video games as well? Seems like a slippery slope to me. Addiction can come in countless forms, you can't ban everything.

I think the Paddy Power advert with Jose was recorded when he was between jobs, so he'd get away with it on that basis I imagine.
We need to eat, so I don’t that is a realistic comparison if I’m honest. As for the other bad things, they are restricted to after 9pm, totally agree we can’t ban everything, but surely that also doesn’t mean anything goes?

Not sure on the Jose one.(y)

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Mrs 3OTT caught short whilst walking today. Would have been OK for me but she needed to spend a penny. Well that was what it used to be. It is NOW 10/-, for people who do not know what the sign means it is 10bob or or 120D.

OK in simple terms 50p. Unbelievable Jeff!

50 years last week since D Day 15/2/71

D

Deleted member 16999

Police Officers not being made a priority in the next round of Covid Vaccinations.:mad:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Police Officers not being made a priority in the next round of Covid Vaccinations.:mad:

I understand their reasoning, same with teachers that they believe it will be quicker to do by age

However that said it is easy to prove you are an officer with your warrant card so surely could have been done

Then with the way they are smashing through the vaccines prob be done by may!