Qualification for your CC

D

Deleted member 15344

But why, when it's scratch and would have few problems accomodating everyone who wanted to enter?

Because that’s the rules of the competition

Just like the KO for 10-20 HCs

And the one for 20 plus HCs

And then the one for everyone

I know it’s such a disgraceful action to limit a competition to the very best golfers in the club - but we can handle the shame 🙄

peld

Visit site
2 day qualifier (one round on each course)
- Lowest 16 gross scores qualify for the Club Champs Knockout
- Then..lowest 16 gross scores with Index of 12 or above qualify for Second flight knockout
- then lowest 16 nett scores qualify for the handicap knockout

D

Deleted member 1147

Why on earth do clubs have handicap limits for scratch events?
As tee times are restricted probably. We have 77 players who were old category 1 alone. So if there are too many players it would be difficult to get both rounds in on one day.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well, you have to be a full member (i.e. not lifestyle or 5-dayer I guess), and to play in any major/board comp you need 8 qualifying scores in the last year - at least four of which must be competition ones. I think I've got that right anyway. I usually have plenty so I don't pay close attention to it.

No stipulations on handicaps, our Club Champs is a two-day competition and there is a gross prize and a nett prize. Personally I think they should add a wooden spoon so I have a chance of winning something, but they haven't entertained that idea yet.

In all seriousness, I love the Club Champs weekend, and I'm really glad my club doesn't have a bunch of restrictions on who can actually play in it like a lot of other clubs seem to have, from reading this thread.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Ours is restricted to those with a HI of 17.6 or lower...that means the maximum number of shots is 21 - no idea why..
Also you must have, I think, 6 qualifying scores in the previous 12 months - no requirement for them to be competition cards.
Scratch and handicap Medal over 2 days and I think there's a cut depending on numbers.
I don't enter as I've got less than zero chance of winning the Scratch comp, the handicap comp is essentially just another Medal and, probably most important, I don't want to be out on the course for 4 3/4 hours......

CountLippe

Visit site
I like the idea of a club championship being scratch, 36 holes in one day. It separates wheat from the chaff. Playing both morning and afternoon means there's no luck of the draw, and performing over 36 holes in one day is a strong test of golf.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I like the idea of a club championship being scratch, 36 holes in one day. It separates wheat from the chaff. Playing both morning and afternoon means there's no luck of the draw, and performing over 36 holes in one day is a strong test of golf.
Speaking from recent experience, playing 36 holes over two days in ours was also a strong test of golf. Too strong for some of us. 😣

carldudley

Visit site
We had ours last weekend, was a bit short of numbers this year.

Three divisions playing 36 holes in one day
Div 1 - 10 HI and below - Gross and Net winner & 2nd place
Div 2 - 10.1-22 HI - Net winner & 2nd place
Div 3 - 22+ Stableford - Winner & 2nd place

Then there's a Ladies and Gents 18-hole Stableford events.

In the whole it worked well and everyone had a really good enjoyable day (I would say that, I came home with a winners salver).

wjemather

Visit site
For many/most, 36 in a day is more a test of fitness than golf, especially on some courses.

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
Ours is lowest 72 entrants on day 1. Looks like it will ballot at around 9.5

Top 20 qualify for day 2. 36 holes total

No such thing as a ‘net club champion’ 😂

I somehow managed to sneak into day 2 last year on the cut mark even though I was 60th on the handicap list. Won’t even qualify for day 1 this year!

wjemather

Visit site
The 10 -20 and 20 plus KOs are off scratch 🤷‍♂️

Who said they were HC knockouts
The implication of your initial post...
Our scratch KO is HC limited to 10 and below
...was that your scratch KO is singular, i.e. there are no other scratch knockouts; therefore it was reasonable to deduce that any other knockouts would not be scratch, i.e. they are handicap.

Last edited:

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
As tee times are restricted probably. We have 77 players who were old category 1 alone. So if there are too many players it would be difficult to get both rounds in on one day.
Why not determine the number of playing slots available, sort the applications by handicap and eliminate the highest over the no of slots. this is a very common process for elite competitions. And surely within a club, the CC is the elite comp.
With so many cat 1 would a cat 2 ever be in with a shout?

D

Deleted member 15344

Why are people it appears to be so “bothered” about clubs putting in HC limits for scratch comps when it’s something that’s in place for opens , major am scratch comps - club champs for most clubs is prob the one comp that’s for the elite of the club - the very low HC’s.

It’s an elite comp so make it the elite only just so that Mr 25 HC isn’t spending 5 hours going around at 100 plus

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I guess because it is not a scratch comp at some clubs. At my old club the club champion was the lowest gross score but there were prizes for lowest net, low rounds on day one, day two etc. As such, it riled some that the comp was limited to the lowest handcaps that entered.

Now, that is fine with some but you also add that it closes much, if not the whole, course for 2 days. Those that pay a 7 day membership are denied access to the course for a weekend.

Actually, one has to ask why the course should be limited to the elite of the club for a weekend (bearing in mind that elite get the course closed for matches as well). Quite a few members just want to play golf and really do not care about the 'elite' level of the game at their club.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Why are people it appears to be so “bothered” about clubs putting in HC limits for scratch comps when it’s something that’s in place for opens , major am scratch comps - club champs for most clubs is prob the one comp that’s for the elite of the club - the very low HC’s.

It’s an elite comp so make it the elite only just so that Mr 25 HC isn’t spending 5 hours going around at 100 plus

Isn’t it funny how people suddenly want inclusion when not being allowed to participate in something may impact on them?

Anyway, the previous club I was a member at was 36 over one day. You had to be Cat1 to play. The course was set up as hard as it could be for the day, with pins changed for the afternoon round.

If it had been open to hackers and all there would be no way of getting everyone round 36 holes and many would have been shooting very high scores or NRing.

D

Deleted member 15344

I guess because it is not a scratch comp at some clubs. At my old club the club champion was the lowest gross score but there were prizes for lowest net, low rounds on day one, day two etc. As such, it riled some that the comp was limited to the lowest handcaps that entered.

Now, that is fine with some but you also add that it closes much, if not the whole, course for 2 days. Those that pay a 7 day membership are denied access to the course for a weekend.

Actually, one has to ask why the course should be limited to the elite of the club for a weekend (bearing in mind that elite get the course closed for matches as well). Quite a few members just want to play golf and really do not care about the 'elite' level of the game at their club.

Which is why many clubs host the club champs alongside a net trophy that everyone can enter 🤷‍♂️

For many it’s two separate competitions

Is it the “elite” the only ones that have club matches ?

This is a list of who has clubs matches and blocking out tee times

Senior Team - 12 home matches
Scratch team - 3 home matches
Senior scratch - 4 home matches
Mid HC - 4 home matches
Club ( any HC ) - 8 home matches
Club KO team - 2 home matches
Ladies - 8 home matches
Ladies seniors -4 home matches
Juniors - 6 home matches

That’s the same for all the clubs in our area - seems that the “elite” have the course closed less than the rest of the club

Last edited by a moderator: