New Members and Major/Boarded Competitions

philly169

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Does your club championships or boarded competitions have any pre-requisites?

We have a number of board competitions in July/August and with membership starting in June new members come straight in and normally win the comps. Most of the time they haven't played any qualifiers and are playing off a higher handicap than you'd expect.

Should clubs big competitions have pre requirements associated like X many medal competitions or qualifiers played prior to entry or should they be a free-for-all new members welcome?

How does you club do it?

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
as per fundy, plus they need to be full members, not like me on what my club call an 'associate' member. (discounted, but limited # rounds per year)

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If you have new members coming straight in and winning your club championship I don't see any reason to be iffy about it.

Naturally assuming your club championship is played off scratch.

matt71

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Think my club you have to qualify for the big majors, not 100% sure as I have never entered them though. however after finishing 3rd the other week in a normal comp I was told I have qualified for some other tournament but was not really paying attention, as per usual lol

philly169

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you have new members coming straight in and winning your club championship I don't see any reason to be iffy about it.

Naturally assuming your club championship is played off scratch.

The overall club championships is scratch, but there is also net for div 2 and 3.. trophy and winnings but no name on board for net.

Birchy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Might as well close this thread as it will just get the usual replies from the usual suspects thus dragging it into the gutter.

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
Firstly, I'd say starting in June is fairly unusual. Most clubs start their year between Jan and April so immediately your handicap committee has a problem that is made worse by that timing.

I'm against having a bar on new members winning board comps because they pay the same money as everyone else, pay the same entry fee and are just as entitled to "a day out" as anyone who's been a member 10 years and shoots 65 or whatever. That said, the committee have to be careful to monitor new players properly (which they should be doing anyway). Our board comps nearly all require qualification for a final so that job is easier and our board comps have a handicap limit of 20, but it will always be an issue.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Good to hear.

I hate going into clubhouses to see winners boards like the Bert Smith Motors Mixed Foursomes or The Fat @rse Slimming Parlour match play etc etc.

:) We (same club as OP) seem to have a boarded competition a week at the moment! Only some are deemed "Majors" though and qualify for "The Masters"...not sure which they are!

philly169

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Don't get me wrong, I am all for new members playing in major comps, the problem we have is we have a number of new members that join and with high handicap, play in a few board comps and win, but never play other qualifiers or medals, the following season they have left the club...

Just to reiterate, our club championships (name on the board) is won overall by best gross over two days, so the normal culprits in the scratch groups, no problem with that. As a higher handicapper as many others, I don't have a chance in winning that, however the higher sections are split into division as you would in a medal, which then allows the chance for someone in those to win their division. You don't get your name on the board, but you do get a trophy, masters entry and winnings.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We have a number of honours board events throughout the year, not just the club champs (which have a board each for scratch and handicap). Members must have an active handicap and must play a minimum of five club comps to be eligible to win the event although they are free to enter and get cut. Once they have five cards in, they are free to play in everything

Jack_bfc

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Good to hear.

I hate going into clubhouses to see winners boards like the Bert Smith Motors Mixed Foursomes or The Fat @rse Slimming Parlour match play etc etc.

I wouldn't visit Lytham then!!!!

Acquisition Trophy
Ballam Trophy
Captains Prize
Club Champion
Hawkins Trophy
Jenner Cup
Lifeboat Competition
Lighthill Cup
Mid-week Medal
Mixed Knockout Trophy
Nordrach Cup
Police Competition
President
Scratch Medal
United Services
Veterans Cup
Vice President
Whiteside Trophy

I won the Lighthill the other week as a new member ;)

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
in a similar vein to some other responses we have a requirement that entry to 'major events' require to have played in 3 Q comps in the previous 12 months ie they are actively competing members of the club.

nothing to do with bandits or handicaps

nothing to do with new members - you could join today, play Wed, Sat, Wed and enter a Major the following weekend and everyone would be delighted to see such an active new member.

all knockout competitions are Majors...

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
lee park don't let you play in the majors in your first year or two I think. I came to them with 4 years comp history.

big LB swung it so I could play in them this year.

I put my name down for the match play events but for some reason I wasn't included in the draw. not even for the scratch one!

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
not sure what it is at Knebworth but at Chesfield it was you had to have played in 3 qualifying comps in the past 12 months to be eligible to to win and 6 for a Major (Board) comp.

Personally that felt about right to me.

DCB

Visit site
Board Competitions seem to be a very English thing. We only have one honours board and that's for the winner of our Club Championship. We do have other 'major' trophies to play for, but no honours board just the name on the trophy.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Board Competitions seem to be a very English thing. We only have one honours board and that's for the winner of our Club Championship. We do have other 'major' trophies to play for, but no honours board just the name on the trophy.

TOOOOOOOO True.
Only important to one person.

Nobody reads them, and they cost a fortune to maintain.
Good fun to miss spell a name occasionally though!
And the credit card fraudster and axe murderer are living proof that they were ex members !!

Last edited: