Qualification for your CC

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
I never said anything about practising. I want my handicap to be lower, doesn't mean I particularly do anything about it. I wish I could make myself not care about it. I was disputing Phil's point where he generalised that people deliberately don't get it down so they can win more competitions. Of course it is easier to win the higher you are, that's just obvious.

If you dont do anything about it, then I'd say you arent that bothered about your handicap coming down.

You are correct, you didnt mention practising, but you did say "having a handicap as a visual marker of their ability makes them want to get it as low as they can". Natural ability will only get you so far, so in order for the handicap to come down, you would need to practice......even just a little bit.

Phil's point probably was too general, but there are definitely people who deliberately dont get their handicap down so that they can win more competitions.

RichA

Visit site
We need to change the rules on the 100 metres at the Olympics. Instead of it being the fastest person getting the gold medal, everyone should have a chance to enter and some 20 stone lardass who gets a 60 metre head start will then have a chance to win.
Wow! They give out a gold medal to the club champ at your local golf club? Your local amateurs must be really elite.
What's the entry fee? Or are the sponsors providing the gold?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you dont do anything about it, then I'd say you arent that bothered about your handicap coming down.

You are correct, you didnt mention practising, but you did say "having a handicap as a visual marker of their ability makes them want to get it as low as they can". Natural ability will only get you so far, so in order for the handicap to come down, you would need to practice......even just a little bit.

Phil's point probably was too general, but there are definitely people who deliberately dont get their handicap down so that they can win more competitions.
I still disagree. Wanting and doing are two different things. Playing every week is essentially practising anyway. Let's just say I think there are a lot more people who want to get their handicap lower than those that don't / want it to be higher.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
But we aren't talking about The Open
We are talking about championship day at local recreational golf clubs. Nobody seriously believes it decides their club's best golfer - it's just who happens to have the best round(s) on that particular day.
Actually you are talking about the Open the random nature of golf outcomes is that the winner of any one competition does not necessarily identify the best golfer it is who has the best on the day.
But just as other amateur sports clubs are not elite sport it does not mean that they cannot have reasonably high quality competition without handicap at times.
It's a competetive sport as well as a past time for many. The original point of handicapping was for gambling purposes.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Why on earth do clubs have handicap limits for scratch events?

I ‘get’ what your saying from an inclusivity perspective but a number of 20? handicappers will slow the field down. And then you’ve got the low guys bumping their gum about being out with …….

My last club championship round was played in a 2 ball in just over 2 hours. A guy hitting close on 100 shots is going to take around 3 hours in a 2 ball.

No, no, no.

Flip it on its head, would your rabbits section(over 18 h’cap) want a dozen single figure handicappers playing in their championship?

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
I still disagree. Wanting and doing are two different things. Playing every week is essentially practising anyway. Let's just say I think there are a lot more people who want to get their handicap lower than those that don't / want it to be higher.

A good way to improve without practising it to play with better players, you should put your name down with your new club champ and see how he gets round the course

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
A good way to improve without practising it to play with better players, you should put your name down with your new club champ and see how he gets round the course
Maybe I will. 😄 I did play with the Club Champs runner-up on Saturday, when he smashed me in the singles matchplay. It turns out he gets round the course by hitting it much better than I do.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
We have 2 trophy board comps that are for 19 HC and over.
One board comp for 10-18 HCs.

36-hole scratch club championship attracts no justifiable criticism.
On club championship day, the other players play in a club-wide 18-hole stableford for pro-shop credit prizes.

Top 8 in club championship go into a draw for another trophy board comp - scratch matchplay.

:):):)

D

Deleted member 1147

Why not determine the number of playing slots available, sort the applications by handicap and eliminate the highest over the no of slots. this is a very common process for elite competitions. And surely within a club, the CC is the elite comp.
With so many cat 1 would a cat 2 ever be in with a shout?
Times are restricted so the numbers of those who can enter are also restricted.
It’s quite simple.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
We need to change the rules on the 100 metres at the Olympics. Instead of it being the fastest person getting the gold medal, everyone should have a chance to enter and some 20 stone lardass who gets a 60 metre head start will then have a chance to win.
A la the 'Powderhall Sprint'

D-S

Visit site
Handicap sprint racing was an extremely popular sport in the early part of the last century with participants earning huge sums of money.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Handicap sprint racing was an extremely popular sport in the early part of the last century with participants earning huge sums of money.
There’s a few Bob to be had in handicap golf !
couple of wins a season is very lucrative.
ours is £120 that’s to high imo.
it the reason there is so many bandits in it for the money. Especially in opens.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Club champs (scratch) open to all members - we have no juniors - but men and women like all comps.

Club handicap championships runs concurrently.

18 holes Saturday
18 holes Sunday

Only a handful of guys below 5 at our club - if that. The better players tend to move on to better courses than ours.

If the owners son entered he would walk it - but he won’t.

Realistically before a ball is hit I could guess the top 3 correctly. In fact I might try it this year and feedback 😂

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
it the reason there is so many bandits in it for the money. Especially in opens.

There‘s always been a few bob in handicap golf. I pretty much always got my subs back in comp winnings every year. (Bandit) usually achieved off 5 or below (Bandit).

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site

That is also why I think that prize money should be removed from the amateur game. The prize should be a cup/medal/ piece of glassware and that is it. Could also help to get more people involved as you would need to charge less by way of an entry fee if there is no prze pot to fund. For Opens, prize should be a cup etc and a free entry for the event next year to defend the title.