WHS and Club Handicaps

PistolP

Visit site
Owing to the Pandemic and taking safety measures in respect of my Personal Health Conditions, I decided to give up my existing UK Golf Club Membership at the end of August 2020 which was also becoming unaffordable for me on an annualised commitment basis. I have not as yet decided to re-join a Golf Club because I still believe that there are uncertainties surrounding the on-going Pandemic for the current year of 2021. I will continue to play golf on a Pay & Play basis albeit possibly not as often (on average, twice a week) as prior to the commencement of the Pandemic. I do enjoy playing competitive amateur golf and have always striven to better my golf game and handicap, currently being 11 and wish to continue to do so. I belong to an Association which is registered with the EGU and have played in almost everyone of their 6 annual tournaments for numerous years which are all qualifying for handicap purposes but of course, such scores must be registered with the Home Club of each Participant under what I believe are unchanged CONGU requirements prior to the change to the WHS. I've been informed by the Association that I cannot play in their Tournaments without being a member of a Golf Club and now feel alienated, frustrated and discriminated against under such old fashioned and out modded regulations. This in my opinion requires a modernistic and holistic new approach to rectifying this issue which should run in conjunction with the new WHS and I feel sure must apply to many amateur golfers. In my opinion, the EGU should have a separate paid for amateur section where they get paid to handle and administer this situation for golfers without Golf Club Membership otherwise is does not help promotion of the game! PistolP

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Owing to the Pandemic and taking safety measures in respect of my Personal Health Conditions, I decided to give up my existing UK Golf Club Membership at the end of August 2020 which was also becoming unaffordable for me on an annualised commitment basis. I have not as yet decided to re-join a Golf Club because I still believe that there are uncertainties surrounding the on-going Pandemic for the current year of 2021. I will continue to play golf on a Pay & Play basis albeit possibly not as often (on average, twice a week) as prior to the commencement of the Pandemic. I do enjoy playing competitive amateur golf and have always striven to better my golf game and handicap, currently being 11 and wish to continue to do so. I belong to an Association which is registered with the EGU and have played in almost everyone of their 6 annual tournaments for numerous years which are all qualifying for handicap purposes but of course, such scores must be registered with the Home Club of each Participant under what I believe are unchanged CONGU requirements prior to the change to the WHS. I've been informed by the Association that I cannot play in their Tournaments without being a member of a Golf Club and now feel alienated, frustrated and discriminated against under such old fashioned and out modded regulations. This in my opinion requires a modernistic and holistic new approach to rectifying this issue which should run in conjunction with the new WHS and I feel sure must apply to many amateur golfers. In my opinion, the EGU should have a separate paid for amateur section where they get paid to handle and administer this situation for golfers without Golf Club Membership otherwise is does not help promotion of the game! PistolP

There are a few clubs that let you be members for like £50 a year just to get a handicap

Look into one of them until the nomads get handicap?

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
There are a few clubs that let you be members for like £50 a year just to get a handicap

Look into one of them until the nomads get handicap?
I tried doing this with Orchardleigh GC in Somerset. They offer £1 a year membership plus union fees. The accepted my application but asked me to "just pop in" to pay my pound. It's four hours away! :D

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I tried doing this with Orchardleigh GC in Somerset. They offer £1 a year membership plus union fees. The accepted my application but asked me to "just pop in" to pay my pound. It's four hours away! :D
What do they get out of your membership? Hardly likely to be worthwhile bar takings.

D-S

Visit site
What do they get out of your membership? Hardly likely to be worthwhile bar takings.
For the member who cares what they get out of it? However as a m ember you get a Somerset County Card, EG insurance etc. so a no brainer versus the proposed Nomad scheme - as I have stated elsewhere, there are other similar offers out there.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
For the member who cares what they get out of it? However as a m ember you get a Somerset County Card, EG insurance etc. so a no brainer versus the proposed Nomad scheme - as I have stated elsewhere, there are other similar offers out there.
I'm just wondering why any club would be happy with only £1 income from a member

D-S

Visit site
I'm just wondering why any club would be happy with only £1 income from a member
Maybe they’ll get some competition income from them, I know this Club offers various pay and pay package deals to ‘members’. It might mean that even though they don’t get any ‘up front’ revenue, they might engender some loyalty from normal pay and play golfers who will go there over other clubs. Either way it is the clubs choice.
In fact Orchardleigh is a cracking course with simple but functional clubhouse facilities. It is set in the grounds of a Chateau like mansion. Well worth a day out and a popular destination course for those in this part of the world.
An interesting choice of business model but by no means unique.
If I wanted a handicap and didn’t want to fork out for a more standard membership deal, I would join like a shot as it confers significantly more benefits at a far lower cost than the proposed EG offer.