Qualification for your CC

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That is also why I think that prize money should be removed from the amateur game. The prize should be a cup/medal/ piece of glassware and that is it. Could also help to get more people involved as you would need to charge less by way of an entry fee if there is no prze pot to fund. For Opens, prize should be a cup etc and a free entry for the event next year to defend the title.
I agree 100%.

IanG

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Three medals are nominated by the club as Championship qualifiers, with your best 2 from 3 gross scores making up your qualifying score. Best sixteen gross qualifying scores move to scratch matchplay with the final being 36 holes.

Only proper golfers have any chance of getting to the matchplay stages.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
So,this now seems to have been taken to the illogical conclusion, monday qualifying for the international tour event in england, last place with a commendable score of 44 over par, was a 29 handicapper.

#inclusion

Somebody who has dedicated their life to golf, is scrambling to make a living, has just been paired for 5 hours with a rank beginner. I'd be livid.

Last edited:

wjemather

Visit site
So,this now seems to have been taken to the illogical conclusion, monday qualifying for the international tour event in england, last place with a comendable score of 44 over par, was a 29 handicapper.

#inclusion

Somebody who has dedicated theit life to golf, is scrambling to make a living, has just been paired for 5 hours with a rank beginner. I'd be livid.
£125 is not bad for two rounds (the tournament round and a courtesy practice round) at Close House, so fair play to him for taking advantage of lax terms of entry and overly optimistic numbers (they filled fewer than 100 of the 144 available spaces).

Anyway, the tee sheet shows him as being out on his own in the final group (presumably with a marker).

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
our cut off is 14.4 index, which means 18 shots or 17 in the comp with the 5% - but i didn't realise that money is v good - £250 each for gross and net winners and £125 second, £75 third. Must try harder next year!

RichA

Visit site
our cut off is 14.4 index, which means 18 shots or 17 in the comp with the 5% - but i didn't realise that money is v good - £250 each for gross and net winners and £125 second, £75 third. Must try harder next year!
Our club champ gets their name on the board, a photo with the trophy, an engraved beer mug and a sleeve of balls. Perhaps this explains our more relaxed attitude towards the competition.
I joined a golf club after decades of competitive amateur cricket and football. Months of matches, home and away, in a league that established the best team of the year - never playing for anything other than pride.
The expectation of some amateur golfers to receive an individual 3 figure prize for a few hours of recreational sport is something I'm struggling to compute.

D

Deleted member 1147

Our club champ gets their name on the board, a photo with the trophy, an engraved beer mug and a sleeve of balls. Perhaps this explains our more relaxed attitude towards the competition.
I joined a golf club after decades of competitive amateur cricket and football. Months of matches, home and away, in a league that established the best team of the year - never playing for anything other than pride.
The expectation of some amateur golfers to receive an individual 3 figure prize for a few hours of recreational sport is something I'm struggling to compute.
I wouldn't have a clue what you win at my place. It's all about the pride of being the club champion.
My greatest achievement in golf is coming 2nd to a future Challenge tour player (by only 6 shots - the handicap difference was 18 over 2 rounds), and beating quite a few scratch and plus players. I also took the net prize.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

i have been there for 17 years and i thought it was just for a Trophy and in gross comp name on the board. Only found out about cash last week.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When I won it I also got my own parking space for a year!
Now that’s worth winning.