Qualification for your CC

jpjeffery

Assistant Pro
learnergolfer.wordpress.com
Does your club have any kind of qualification for members' entry to your annual championships (CCs)?

We can safely, I think, assume the following:
1 - You're a current member (though there may be a minimum period, i.e. so you can't have just joined the day before)
2 - You have a current WHS Handicap Index

Ours is pretty easy to achieve: One Tee Closure (aka "major"), or two Handicap Qualifying medals in the same calendar year.

The other club at the same venue as us requires 3 cards (medal, swindle, major comps) in the last 12 months which, again, is hardly difficult to achieve. And yet I've heard that some of their members are complaining that they're not eligible to play.

So, I was just wondering if such qualifying requirements are in any way unique. What does your club have in place for CC eligibility? Anything beyond items 1 and 2 above, or nothing else?

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Two of my old clubs had the 16 lowest handicap players on the entry sheet for KO
Very simple.

Stroke play used to be 36 holes scratch so generally sorted itself our.
The secretary would usually have a word with any handicap players over 12 who put their name down
[The Club would probably get sued nowadays.]

Club championships went to hell in a handcart when clubs introduced handicap sections.

D

Deleted member 15344

Two of my old clubs had the 16 lowest handicap players on the entry sheet for KO
Very simple.

Stroke play used to be 36 holes scratch so generally sorted itself our.
The secretary would usually have a word with any handicap players over 12 who put their name down
[The Club would probably get sued nowadays.]

Club championships went to hell in a handcart when clubs introduced handicap sections.

Why would the club get sued ? Just have a HC limit 🤷‍♂️

As for the OP - our CC is open to all , to win the scratch there is very limit restrictions, to win the HC version - need to have 4 comps scores in the last 12 months

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
We have a 36 hole medal comp. Gross and net for two different trophies.

The top 15 gross scores and last year's club champion qualify for a scratch matchplay ko to decide club championship.

The final is 36 holes scratch on finals weekend. All other matchplay finals are that weekend and go out with a referee too.

No bandit or cheat is winning that anytime soon. Proper golf.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We have two comps

One is the best gross and the other the handicap nett. A player can enter both*

Any male player can enter but must have a H.I.

The scratch comp has no nett prizes and this tends to self stop high handicap players from entering and the handicap has no gross prizes.

* The handicap first round is played on one day and second round the next.
The best gross is played on the second day with 2 rounds in one day.
Players in both - their first round in the gross is also their second round in the handicap.

It works really well as the players in the gross comp are not having to go out for the first or second round following high handicap players as the second round in the handicap follows the first round of the gross.

wjemather

Visit site
Our club championship is a 36 hole gross aggregate competition - starts with an 18-hole qualifying medal, open to all members (men, women, seniors, juniors) regardless of handicap, on the Saturday; the lowest 36 gross scores and ties play the second 18-hole medal on the Sunday morning. There's also a trophy for best nett aggregate.

Edit: we have a separate scratch knockout match play competition, again open to all, that runs from April to September.

Last edited:

D-S

Visit site
Our club championship is a 36 hole gross aggregate competition - starts with an 18-hole qualifying medal, open to all members (men, women, seniors, juniors) regardless of handicap, on the Saturday; the lowest 36 gross scores and ties play the second 18-hole medal on the Sunday morning. There's also a trophy for best nett aggregate.
Interesting - do they all play off different tees or is there some adjustment due to CR differences?

wjemather

Visit site
Interesting - do they all play off different tees or is there some adjustment due to CR differences?
Each gender plays from a single set of tees (white/red on Saturday, black/yellow on Sunday), and there's an adjustment based on the difference in Course Ratings.
It's only been open to all for the last few years, and as yet, no women have qualified for Sunday (very few have entered).

Reactions: D-S

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
36 hole scratch competition for which you need a handicap under 10 I think, it varies a bit.
Best 16 go to matchplay.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
For the men's championships we have best 2 gross scores out of 3 qualifying scores.
Three divisions plus seniors, 16 qualify.
Finals day in September.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
36 hole 2-day event with h/cap limit of 24, need to play in minimum number of qualifying comps in the year
Nett and gross winners get same prizepot but the nett winner gets the the title and club champ trophy

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
36 hole 2-day event with h/cap limit of 24, need to play in minimum number of qualifying comps in the year
Nett and gross winners get same prizepot but the nett winner gets the the title and club champ trophy
Nett winner is THE club champion, surely not?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
No idea at my current place. Previous club I think it was single figure golfers only, scratch comp though, 36 holes over 2 days. They had very few entries so ended up running a shadow comp for everyone else, 18 holes, to run alongside the main comp on the last day. That looked better, meant a few more in the bar, when the champion finished their round.