Qualification for your CC

RichA

Visit site
Any member can qualify by finishing top 3 in one of the April - July monthly midweek, Saturday or Sunday Stableford comps. If any of the top 3 have already qualified then the spot goes to the next place down.
36 golfers play a single strokeplay round on the day to decide the club scratch champ and handicap champ.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Our ladies is 36 holes, 24 max playing handicap, men's first round is a normal saturday competition in which anyone can enter, then best 15 gross play 2nd round the day after.
The men's used to be the same as the ladies and 36 holes on same day but some men moaned that they were missing out on a competition so it was changed a few years ago

Asian Dawn

Visit site
I was at a club where juniors could play in but not win the Club Championship as it was a "Mens" event. They also had a rule where if you were a member of two clubs, you had to have your handicap at this particular club as again you could play but not win. I would have had three more without that.

I heard a few years ago that the Captain got rid of the first rule when his 16-year old son thought he had a chance and then the following year, when he was on a scholarship at another club, the home club rule went as well. Bunch of cheats.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Odd. I'd have thought if a junior wins the (scratch) championship, it reflects really well on the Club.
I was at a club for a single year that had the same attitude as that described by @Asian Dawn . It blew my mind, so backward.

In comparison, a previous club at the same time had a young lad coming through winning on a regular basis. The members there were bursting with pride about his success. They viewed it as per your comment, only a positive.

Clubs, people, can be strange 🤷‍♂️

IanMcC

Visit site
This interests me. I am M&H Secretary at our club. For years we have had a 36 hole 1 day comp for Club (Scratch) Champion, and a separate Handicap Club Championship later in the year. 36 holes over Saturday & Sunday.

This all seemed to work fine until recently. We have a young superstar at our club. Played in the knockout stages of the recent Amateur Championship at Hillside. He has easily won the last 3 renewals of the Scratch Champs, so the entry numbers were significantly down this year, as everyone was playing for 2nd place.

I want to have a Championship weekend, incorporating both comps. I have written to the low handicappers, but have not had much feedback. Anyone else encountered such a dilemma?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
HI limit of 28.0 and 6 competition cards submitted in previous 12 months at entries closing. Juniors can enter but they have to have a HI of 9.0 or less (no criteria in respect of number of competition cards).

Last edited:

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
We hold 2 qualifying rounds for our CC and H/C comps, usually played within a month.
The 32 lowest gross scores from the 2 qualifying rounds will play a 36-hole playoff on Finals day, all scores continue on from the qualifying rounds, so basically the lowest gross score after 72 holes will be the Club Champion [18-hole playoff ]
The next lowest 32 players, will play for the H/C champions prize over 18 holes, so the lowest net score over 54 holes is the H/C champion.

Last edited:

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Although it's not actually called 'the club championship' our de facto championship is a one day comp of 36 holes played off scratch. You have to be a club member, and have an index of 9.9 or better to enter. Very rare for it to be won by anyone with an index outside the 5 lowest in the club. Its the only board comp where the winning score goes on the board with your name. At the moment, its only for men. Don't know that that's an actual rule (it's a golf club, so I guess it probably is) but currently the women aren't interested anyway. Off scratch & off the back tees, the best women in the club know they can't compete. The women still prefer to have their own championship.

As most of us don't have indexes that low, to cater for lesser mortals, there is a concurrent, but separate, 'trophy' competition - also 36 holes off scratch. Open to club members with indexes of 10.0 to 20. It's a reasonably prestigious win, but we know it ain't 'The Cup'. Most of us enter just to see how high up the leader board we can get (and to try to bag some 2's money).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1147

Club Champs is open to handicap indexes of 9.1 and below only

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
"Competition Description:
The event is called Club Championship. The format is qualifying Mens Singles Strokeplay. It is a closed competition, visitors are not allowed to enter. The competition consists of 2 rounds over 1 day. The men will play the course off the White tees."

Its off scratch, but no handicap limit. If more than 27 enter, the lowest 27 handicaps will be selected and others balloted out.
I doubt that over 20 players will enter this year.

Players are not allowed to use a ride-on buggy.
They brought that restriction in after I won in 2019 when doing so. But I had being doing so for several years before then. So had one or two others. Hmmm.

RichA

Visit site
Why on earth do clubs have handicap limits for scratch events?
Reading this forum for a couple of years, it's bad enough for the egos of some low handicap, local club recreational golfers to lose to a much worse player in a handicap event. Imagine the trauma if the proper golfers all had a bad round and a mid-handicap player had a PB and won a scratch event.
Seeing "B. Hacker (16)" immortalised on the honours board might damage the integrity of the competition.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We simply let players enter the club championship, subject to having 6 qualifying card in over the previous 12 months. The lowest gross score is the club champion and the lowest nett wins that prize (although gross winner always referred to as club champion). There is a halfway cut on the Saturday and lowest 45 and tied (nett) play on Sunday. Players go out in reverse score order and the lowest 12 in the gross event go out in score order at the end of the field

D

Deleted member 15344

I’m going to guess that the ones that do have 36 holes comps in a single day so numbers will be tight so it’s limited

We have ours over two days with the HC one running at the same time so it’s not too much of an issue - players go out in HC order

Our scratch KO is HC limited to 10 and below

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
As suggested above the medal part is 36 holes in a day, too many entrants and the course would be too crowded. The seniors is played the same day without handicap restriction though it's scratch but the numbers are smaller.