Qualification for your CC

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Does make me laugh.
when a low handicapper complains they can’t compete with some of the silly scores coming in these days.
They are told by many “ to play in scratch comps”
but now they complain they can’t play in the CC off their high capper

we have a Champion of Champions where the local clubs CCs play off scratch against each other.
Imagine a high capper in the middle of that.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Which is why many clubs host the club champs alongside a net trophy that everyone can enter 🤷‍♂️

For many it’s two separate competitions

Is it the “elite” the only ones that have club matches ?

This is a list of who has clubs matches and blocking out tee times

Senior Team
Scratch team
Senior scratch
Mid HC
Club ( any HC )
Club KO team
Ladies
Ladies seniors
Juniors

That’s the same for all the clubs in our area - seems that the “elite” have the course closed less than the rest of the club

That is great for your club. My old club had the A team (normally plus handicappers) the B team (low single figures) the ladies and the seniors that excludes much of the club. Whilst I appreciate that team golf is part of most clubs, as far as competions are concerned, every member should be treated evenly with even access to all events.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
That is great for your club. My old club had the A team (normally plus handicappers) the B team (low single figures) the ladies and the seniors that excludes much of the club. Whilst I appreciate that team golf is part of most clubs, as far as competions are concerned, every member should be treated evenly with even access to all events.

So no seniors, ladies or junior events at all? Every comp is open to everyone?

D

Deleted member 15344

So no scratch teams ? Golf played to the highest level within a club ?

Should everything be dumbed down within the sport to ensure everyone is included

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
So no seniors, ladies or junior events at all? Every comp is open to everyone?

Juniors are an exception due to protection issues etc but no, I think if there is a handicap for each tee, every member should be entitled to enter every competition irrespective of age or gender.

RichA

Visit site
I thought that this was about annual championships at local recreational golf clubs, rather than elite amateur events.
2 years ago ours (gross, not net) was won by a 19 handicap who happened to have the round of his life when all the good players had an absolute shocker. Is that not the beauty of sport, that sometimes an underdog can triumph?

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
So no scratch teams ? Golf played to the highest level within a club ?

Should everything be dumbed down within the sport to ensure everyone is included

Yes A and B teams are played off scratch so not open to most.

That is a fine attitude to have, people with higher handicaps wanting to play, compete and use the course is 'dumbing down' and should be subserviant to the club 'elite'.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I thought that this was about annual championships at local recreational golf clubs, rather than elite amateur events.

if you are the upper echelons of the club as far as golfing ablitity is concerned, you are 'elite' it seeems.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site

That is a fine attitude to have, people with higher handicaps wanting to play, compete and use the course is 'dumbing down' and should be subserviant to the club 'elite'.
Surely they are open to everyone if they are off scratch?

Whether you get selected to play may or not is a different matter.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Surely they are open to everyone if they are off scratch?

Whether you get selected to play may or not is a different matter.

In a very far reaching definition but what percentage of golfers make scratch in any one club or in general. I am not arguing against team golf (well I do but not on this thread) but merely quoted that as another example of where the 'elite' take over use of the course for a period and that it is not just the club championshi where access is reduced from those who 'dumb down' the game.

D

Deleted member 15344

But you don’t appear to be in favour of the scratch team having the tee booked out for them because it’s not open to all ? But surely it is open to all - but it’s up to the captain on who he picks ?

Competitions at all clubs will have entry restrictions whether that be - age , sex , or HC

Most clubs will have a number of comps open to all , some comps open to just seniors or juniors or females or males or low HC or high HC .

Making every single comp open to all would be the first step to reducing people playing comps

It’s no different in any other sport where there are teams for age , sex and ability

It’s a sport , a competition.

Springveldt

Visit site
No idea at my current place. Previous club I think it was single figure golfers only, scratch comp though, 36 holes over 2 days. They had very few entries so ended up running a shadow comp for everyone else, 18 holes, to run alongside the main comp on the last day. That looked better, meant a few more in the bar, when the champion finished their round.

It's a scratch, 36 holes on a single day competition. Have to have a playing (not index) handicap of 9 or under to enter. Winner on the day wins the salver (and possibly name on the board) and the top 16 go through to knockouts to determine the club champion.

There is also a 2nd Division net championship held on the same day for handicaps 10+.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
But you don’t appear to be in favour of the scratch team having the tee booked out for them because it’s not open to all ? But surely it is open to all - but it’s up to the captain on who he picks ?

Competitions at all clubs will have entry restrictions whether that be - age , sex , or HC

Most clubs will have a number of comps open to all , some comps open to just seniors or juniors or females or males or low HC or high HC .

Making every single comp open to all would be the first step to reducing people playing comps

It’s no different in any other sport where there are teams for age , sex and ability

It’s a sport , a competition.

It is but it is unnecessarily restrictive. You have a handicap system, you have handicaps for each tee, let everyone play. As with most comps I have entered, crown the lowest gross score as the champion but let everyone who wants to have a shot.

Why would opening comps to all reduce entrants, are you against playing a Saturday morning comp with the ladies or the seniors. Would that stop you playing.

This is different in that everyone pays the same to use the facilities and so access should be even to all. I see no reason to encourage segregation or to discourage higher handicappers from competing but, hey, that is dumbing down the sport.

Sport is a competitiion, so let everyone compete.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's a scratch, 36 holes on a single day competition. Have to have a playing (not index) handicap of 9 or under to enter. Winner on the day wins the salver (and possibly name on the board) and the top 16 go through to knockouts to determine the club champion.

There is also a 2nd Division net championship held on the same day for handicaps 10+.
That all sounds about right. Course open to everyone but the key comp is for the best golfers, scratch.

Springveldt

Visit site
2 years ago ours (gross, not net) was won by a 19 handicap who happened to have the round of his life when all the good players had an absolute shocker. Is that not the beauty of sport, that sometimes an underdog can triumph?
What did he shoot? There is just no way that would ever happen at my place. Even on their worse days at least one of the the low guys would be shooting no more than +4.

D

Deleted member 15344

It is but it is unnecessarily restrictive. You have a handicap system, you have handicaps for each tee, let everyone play. As with most comps I have entered, crown the lowest gross score as the champion but let everyone who wants to have a shot.

Why would opening comps to all reduce entrants, are you against playing a Saturday morning comp with the ladies or the seniors. Would that stop you playing.

This is different in that everyone pays the same to use the facilities and so access should be even to all. I see no reason to encourage segregation or to discourage higher handicappers from competing but, hey, that is dumbing down the sport.

Sport is a competitiion, so let everyone compete.

Everyone can compete in multiple competitions

How many ladies do you think will play in comps with men ?

How many people can you fit into a competition each day ?

What about those that can only play Saturday and can’t get a spot on Saturday comp because it’s been opened up to the whole club

The handicap system alone is not fit to provide the level playing field across all the sections

It’s pure fantasy land to have every single comp open to all - it’s not practical in any way

Common sense must be applied - a balance must be applied , there is only a finite amount of golfers that can be put onto a course at any one time.

We have our club champs across two day with two comps running alongside.

We have senior comps for the seniors golfers - they wouldn’t play if it was opened up to all , ladies comps for ladies - they wouldn’t play if it was opened up to all.

You must have been away from golf comps and members for a long time if you think opening up every comp to all is a workable solution

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
In our Club Champs the other week the winner was off 7 and he was the lowest person who entered. The rest of the top five were off 9, 10, 10 & 8. I guess two of them would have been denied entry at some people's clubs. :LOL: If the limit was 9 like someone else said, we would have only had seven people entered.

D

Deleted member 15344

In our Club Champs the other week the winner was off 7 and he was the lowest person who entered. The rest of the top five were off 9, 10, 10 & 8. I guess two of them would have been denied entry at some people's clubs. :LOL: If the limit was 9 like someone else said, we would have only had seven people entered.

The guy is nowhere near 7 , proper bandit 😁

And clubs will adjust and look at their rules to fit their membership

Some clubs have 100 plus amount of golfers of HC of 5 and below so they will have limits applied

Springveldt

Visit site
Depends on your club. I've just had a scan down the men's handicap list at my club and there are currently 87 people who have an index of 7.7 and under who would be eligible to enter. An index of 7.8 is a playing handicap of 10 at my place.