GPS for optically challenged

YandaB

Visit site
My current GPS seems to be on the blink. Does anyone have any recommendations that suit the following:

1) Large numbers so I can see them without glasses. I use varifocals for everyday but can't get on with them on the course so I take them off. Makes reading small things a challenge.
2) I think all watches do front, middle and back, I'd also like distances to bunkers and penalty areas.
3) I'd like it to be fast at finding a signal, I often only remember to switch it on when I arrive at my second shot on the first fairway.
4) No need for score keeping or any other features like shot measurement.
5) I don't wear a watch, so no requirements around looks. Also battery will therefore get recharged after every round. I think I've only played 36 holes in a day twice over the last few years so battery life not so important.
6) I'm not wedded to it being a watch, handheld would probably be OK, especially if it allows for bigger numbers.
7) Prefer to have no subscriptions associated with it.

Anyone recall seeing one that matches that list that they can recommend?

Thanks all.

RichA

Visit site
I use a Garmin Venu 2.
When I'm playing golf I wear distance glasses. Scorecards are a nightmare. I've never thought about this before, but I have no problem seeing what's on the watch even though it should be a struggle.

IMG_3133.jpeg

And just to preempt someone else's hilarity, no that's not my golf course. Our fairways are in even worse condition than the east Herts roads.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My reading glasses are +3.

I have no problem reading my Garmin handheld with distance glasses on.

It is not fast to switch on but that may be due to the fact that the first has some very tall trees that might be blocking the satellite signal.

Have you considered using an app on a smartphone?

YandaB

Visit site

It is not fast to switch on but that may be due to the fact that the first has some very tall trees that might be blocking the satellite signal.

App on a phone is a possibility, I think that there was a thread on that recently, I'll have a look.

YandaB

Visit site
I use a Garmin Venu 2.
When I'm playing golf I wear distance glasses. Scorecards are a nightmare. I've never thought about this before, but I have no problem seeing what's on the watch even though it should be a struggle.

View attachment 49903

And just to preempt someone else's hilarity, no that's not my golf course. Our fairways are in even worse condition than the east Herts roads.
Thanks, that looks like a lot of watch for one specific app, but it does fulfill most of the criteria. Do you have a picture of how the distance to hazards looks?

YandaB

Visit site

I had a look at a few smartphone apps and despite the large screen available compared to watches, the size of the numbers is often smaller than on a watch! A really simple GPS app on the phone with large numbers would be ideal.

sjw

Visit site
I had a look at a few smartphone apps and despite the large screen available compared to watches, the size of the numbers is often smaller than on a watch! A really simple GPS app on the phone with large numbers would be ideal.
Golf Pad (Android) has some pretty large numbers iirc

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
3) I'd like it to be fast at finding a signal, I often only remember to switch it on when I arrive at my second shot on the first fairway.
I've had two GPS watches (a Garmin and a Bushnell) and they both seem to be a bit sluggish at locking on to satellites.
Sometimes you're lucky and get a signal almost immediately, but usually it takes quite a while.
I think it might be that there's not much room inside a watch, so perhaps they have very small antennae with low sensitivity?

One other tip if you do get a watch: GPS lock happens quicker if you take it off and leave it completely stationary while its searching.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Some of the garmin gps have a 'big numbers' mode in the watch menu that takes the already easy to see numbers for front/middle/back and supersizes them

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've attached two screenshots from Hole19, which is the app I've been using for four or five years. The second image appears when you click on the yardage in the top right corner of the first image. For yardages to hazards you have to manually move the little target to the point you want yardage to and it gives that in the number on the left (showing 61 here).

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231011_120037_Hole19.jpg
    Screenshot_20231011_120037_Hole19.jpg
    930 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20231011_120059_Hole19.jpg
    Screenshot_20231011_120059_Hole19.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 8

YandaB

Visit site
Thanks all for your contributions. I have gone for the Garmin S12 with the 'big numbers' mode. I tried it out today and it fits the bill perfectly. I couldn't justify the Venu and I couldn't find an app that did all things with large enough numbers (and I tried 5). All in all, a watch works quicker for me and this ticks all of my boxes :)