Terms of Competition Section5A

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I have looked at the above wording and I cannot find anything and do not think it is covered in The T and C's of The Competition.

We have a lad who has not played for 5 years', possibly more but had played for The County and has been as low of around +2.

His handicap has lapsed and he wants to enter The Club Championship. He has been unable to submit 3 scores because of temporary greens etc but hopes to soon. He realises that if he does not have a Handicap by the closing date for the playing of the first round he is out of the competition. He has paid his entry fees.

Prior to WHS The County could become involved I think for Cat1.No idea whether this is still the case..

If The Handicap/ Competition's Committee have a rule stating, Their decision is final or word to that effect problem solved. They decide.

My 2 questions are: 1. Does a player need a handicap to enter a Club Competition? Not in evidence in T of C.
2. Are there any practical options?

Thanks for any help.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have looked at the above wording and I cannot find anything and do not think it is covered in The T and C's of The Competition.

We have a lad who has not played for 5 years', possibly more but had played for The County and has been as low of around +2.

His handicap has lapsed and he wants to enter The Club Championship. He has been unable to submit 3 scores because of temporary greens etc but hopes to soon. He realises that if he does not have a Handicap by the closing date for the playing of the first round he is out of the competition. He has paid his entry fees.

Prior to WHS The County could become involved I think for Cat1.No idea whether this is still the case..

If The Handicap/ Competition's Committee have a rule stating, Their decision is final or word to that effect problem solved. They decide.

My 2 questions are: 1. Does a player need a handicap to enter a Club Competition? Not in evidence in T of C.
2. Are there any practical options?

Thanks for any help.
IMO it doesn't make any difference but is the Club Championship gross or net?
Why would he need a handicap for a gross competition?
1) He could use the score as the first for getting a new handicap
2) The Rules of Handicapping are not the same as the Rules of Golf.
ROG 5 says "The Committee may make Terms of the Competition that restrict who is eligible to play."
And also "The Committee may set restrictions and/or limits on the handicaps eligible for entry or use in a competition".

Last edited:

Steven Rules

Visit site
This is a question that only the Committee can answer. You need to ask them. If it is a scratch event then the player’s handicap status should be irrelevant but ultimately that is up to the Committee.

Section 5A of Committee Procedures says that it is the responsibility of the Committee to:

*Set clear and concise terms for each competition.

*Make these terms available to players in advance of the competition.

*Interpret the terms should any questions arise.

The Committee may make Terms of the Competition that restrict who is eligible to play - including their handicap.status.

Last edited:

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
IMO it doesn't make any difference but is the Club Championship gross or net?

1) He could use the score as the first for getting a new handicap
2) The Rules of Handicapping are not the same as the Rules of Golf. And ROG 5 says "The Committee may make Terms of the Competition that restrict who is eligible to play."

Thanks
It is scratch Matchplay.
2. They have not made those terms.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
This is a question that only the Committee can answer. You need to ask them. If it is a scratch event then the player’s handicap status should be irrelevant but ultimately that is up to the Committee.

Section 5A of Committee Procedures says thay it is the responsibility of the Committee to:

*Set clear and concise terms for each competition.

*Make these terms available to players in advance of the competition.

*Interpret the terms should any questions arise.

The Committee may make Terms of the Competition that restrict who is eligible to play - including their handicap.status.
Thank you SR. It is a scratch event.From your 1st sentence are you saying that a 54 handicapper could enter if there is no HC limit?

From the final sentence yo mention may but nothing has been done so far. I expect The Committee can back date the T and C's.

Steven Rules

Visit site
Then you need to ask them for clarity. If this issue isn't specifically covered in the Terms, then on what basis do you think your player might be ineligible?

Yes, a 54 handicapper could enter if the Terms of tbe Competition are silent on the issue of handicap eligibility.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Then you need to ask them for clarity. If this issue isn't specifically covered in the Terms, then on what basis do you think your player might be ineligible?

Yes, a 54 handicapper could enter if the Terms of tbe Competition are silent on the issue of handicap eligibility.
. I said initially about not having a handicap. I recall talking to another guy at our Club who is off 9 and think the limit is 8. Therefore The Club has it covered as if he has not been given a Handicap it is a none starter. My mistake.

Swango1980

Visit site
Can the Committee award the player a temporary handicap, until he has a chance to get 3 cards in? And if so, are there any limitations as to what handicap they could give?

Giving the player a handicap of 8 would seem ridiculous if he used to play off +2 and can play anywhere near that. But, I also suppose giving him a handicap of +2 to +4 (with the expectation that he wouldn't really be in with an unfair chance of winning any handicap comps) might also be impossible, as it would give him an elite amateur handicap that would allow him to qualify for elite events.

Viewer

Visit site
Can the Committee award the player a temporary handicap, until he has a chance to get 3 cards in? And if so, are there any limitations as to what handicap they could give?

Giving the player a handicap of 8 would seem ridiculous if he used to play off +2 and can play anywhere near that. But, I also suppose giving him a handicap of +2 to +4 (with the expectation that he wouldn't really be in with an unfair chance of winning any handicap comps) might also be impossible, as it would give him an elite amateur handicap that would allow him to qualify for elite events.
The County have to get involved for a + handicap award I think!

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
It is scratch Matchplay.
If it is a scratch competition why would any handicap be relevant at all? If there is in fact a lower limit of 8, the committee can always give a named player or players of known ability an exemption. The committee can set whatever TOC they wish.

.....and so a Committee may not be able to implement every recommended practice. Where this is the case, the Committee will need to decide its priorities for each competition.

Last edited:

LizAig

Visit site
Surely he can’t play in a comp without a HI!! I get that he used to be a good player and if it’s a scratch comp it doesn’t matter but having an HI is a fundamental of playing in comps! Also if you change the rules for one person then you are setting a precedent and the Comps Committee is setting themselves up for complaints!! That’s why T of Cs are so valuable - they may be a pain to write but it’s great when the answer to a question is ‘it’s in the T of Cs’!!