Poor Etiquette/ Keep my mouth shut in future

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
What a contrast compared to what I'm used to. My friends will take great pleasure in reminding me not to hook it oob on the 18th hole and proceed to wet their pants when I inevitably do. I just call them a hunch of *&+%`# and laugh it off. Its a game off golf for God sake

Instead of a 59 watch, we sometimes refer to someone as being on bottle watch after a good front 9.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
What a contrast compared to what I'm used to. My friends will take great pleasure in reminding me not to hook it oob on the 18th hole and proceed to wet their pants when I inevitably do. I just call them a hunch of *&+%`# and laugh it off. Its a game off golf for God sake

I wouldn't be playing with them. I don't spend thousands each year on my main hobby to put up with that sh*t.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Played with a good mate in a medal today who plays off 9. Was 3 over after front 9 and had 3 pars on the next 3 and then a bogey on a par 5 after missing a 5 foot putt. Trying to give him reassurance I said he would have taken 1 over after 13 holes. The last 5 he did not play too well being 9 over and ending up with a nett 75.

Realising at the end he was unhappy and he said that I should not have mentioned his score after 13 and I apologised. He was obviously aware of his score.

How poor etiquette was it with what I said or could there be another reason?

So he knew his score but it was only after he found out that you knew his score did his game fall off a bit? Doesn't make sense, what on earth did he say/do after missing the 5ft putt on 13th that made you believe he needed reassurance?

Surely as a 9 handicapper this fella will regularly bogey holes anyway, so a tap in 6 on a par 5 is hardly cause for reassurance (or for his game to melt just because he was told his score)

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
So he knew his score but it was only after he found out that you knew his score did his game fall off a bit? Doesn't make sense, what on earth did he say/do after missing the 5ft putt on 13th that made you believe he needed reassurance?

Surely as a 9 handicapper this fella will regularly bogey holes anyway, so a tap in 6 on a par 5 is hardly cause for reassurance (or for his game to melt just because he was told his score)
Fair comment Slab. It is a short par 5 where he can reach in 2 so is looking for a birdie 4. He had just got up and down from a bunker on SI 5 and was congratulate.

However here his 2nd shot on 13th could have been lost and I suggested he may consider a provisional. He was 100 yards out for his 3rd shot and would expect to get on the green and 2 putt. He ended up 20 yards short of the green for 3 and what could have been a 4, certain5! was a 6. As said before my mistake and I apologised.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Fair comment Slab. It is a short par 5 where he can reach in 2 so is looking for a birdie 4. He had just got up and down from a bunker on SI 5 and was congratulate.

However here his 2nd shot on 13th could have been lost and I suggested he may consider a provisional. He was 100 yards out for his 3rd shot and would expect to get on the green and 2 putt. He ended up 20 yards short of the green for 3 and what could have been a 4, certain5! was a 6. As said before my mistake and I apologised.

careful...verging on advice :)

Turtleboy

Hacker
Visit site
Just looking for something to blame, I don't comment if someone is going good, I'd hate to be the reason his head couldn't handle it.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Believe it not I am out with the same guy as last Saturday. Should be interesting especially after the 13th when I compare his score to last week NOT!
We are in the same WhatsApp Group but silence this week.

Should be an interesting 3.5 hours and very quiet.
No advice required what I should do but any comments appreciated

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Believe it not I am out with the same guy as last Saturday. Should be interesting especially after the 13th when I compare his score to last week NOT!
We are in the same WhatsApp Group but silence this week.

Should be an interesting 3.5 hours and very quiet.
No advice required what I should do but any comments appreciated

No need for it to be very quiet. Ask him at the start to tell you when he wants to know his score, and otherwise talk about football, politics, women, beer and all the rest.

Mandofred

Visit site
Why??
Why even mention it? Just play, chat and sort out the score at the end. ?‍♂️
And what millions of other things might upset this person? Can you talk about anything? Obviously telling that person their score is a no-no. I've only played with one person in 5 years that asked me to not tell them their score and it's no problem. I mentioned this topic to the guys I played with on Monday and they couldn't believe anybody would get upset about it. There are too many golfers who are just too easily upset. But I would tend to think if there is something you are easily upset about.....let the people know before you play......don't make them guess what upsets you. I played a knockout (and lost) on Tuesday. I talked to the young guy that kicked my butt about gimmies.....I don't give anything over a foot. He was fine with it, but by setting it out ahead of time it solved the problem.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I think your mate was just angry at himself, and you got the brunt of it. I dare say in the cold light of day he might even be a little bit embarrassed by it. Apart from not mentioning his score, which you now know he doesn't like, just carry on as you normally do with him. He'd probably welcome that, and after a few holes everything will be as it always was.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Hobbit

I tried to reply but Vanguard intercepted yet again. Really needs sorting by GM. Not seen you on here much recently. You always talk sense. How is everything in Almeria Brian? Spoke with mi hijo en Madrid esta noche. !Hay 3800 COVID hoy! Cuidate mi amigo.

saludos cordiales

Graham

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Hobbit

I tried to reply but Vanguard intercepted yet again. Really needs sorting by GM. Not seen you on here much recently. You always talk sense. How is everything in Almeria Brian? Spoke with mi hijo en Madrid esta noche. !Hay 3800 COVID hoy! Cuidate mi amigo.

saludos cordiales

Graham

Soy muy bueno Graham.

Madrid started building another emergency hospital a couple of weeks back. The north is taking the brunt again, and us in the south are starting to see a drop in numbers now the tourists have pretty much gone.