Greens in reg

HPIMG

Visit site
The milestone post got me thinking about what is the hardest thing to do in golf. I have been focusing on how many green in reg I hit for maybe the past month and usually a good game for me is 12/13.
Today I had a pretty flawless game but only hit 13 greens in reg. After my round I stopped in to chat with the pro and his best round as a pro was -11 so he must of been pretty handy in his day. He couldn’t say if he had hit 18 greens in reg, he said possibly but not something he remembers and said it’s a really hard thing to do.

So any who’s done the 18 greens in reg what was the final score I’m guessing-4 or -5 ? And can anyone think of anything harder to do in golf ?

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not done it...Rory did it around The Old Course and only shot -2

Guess it depends more on proximity to hole. You could hit it to 40ft every time, and 3 putt every green

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I think its also easier on courses with large greens.

Our greens are very small, any time I've played somewhere significantly better I notice that greens are far larger in general. Obviously some may still be small.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've checked back in my stats and the most greens I've ever hit at my home course was 10. Final score was 77 which is still my best score on my home course actually. It was off yellows though. In August 2022.

Ironically I only hit 4 fairways which is low for me, my average is more like 7. Putting was a rather mediocre 35 putts.

AussieKB

Visit site
I've hit 14-15 in reg and nowhere near my best round, always comes down to chipping and putting,
have had one round where I had 20 putts, have had 2 course records and they were down around
12-13 greens in reg.

Bottom line it is great to hit the green in reg but where on the green, maybe a near impossible
2 putt.

Asian Dawn

Visit site
I have hit all 18 GRs in a round six times. Two were 65s, a 68, 69, 70 and a 71. Shockingly one of them was +1 gross, one birdie and two 3-putts.

AussieKB

Visit site
I’ve done it once but had a lot of long putts and, frankly putted badly including missing a total gimmie. Think I shot level par in the end.

What I’ve never done is shoot a bogey free round. Got to the 17th without a bogey once (and to the 14th recently) but the quest continues.
Yep I have done that, 18 pars......crazy day missed easy birdies and made hard par putts, you have to be crazy to play this game.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
when you actually see the stats from the PGA pros, it is quite startling how often they don't hit GIR, so I would say as a metric along with FIR and number of putts it could be one of the hardest to get perfect.

125-150 yards the pros are hitting the green 69% of the time and on average leaving themselves a 23' putt
150-175 yards which is probably the distance most club golfers are hitting, this drops to 64%

HPIMG

Visit site
I think its also easier on courses with large greens.

Our greens are very small, any time I've played somewhere significantly better I notice that greens are far larger in general. Obviously some may still be small.
Yes I didn’t really think of that, my home course is also mostly small greens and I’ve played a few links course recently with massive greens that are quite hard to miss lol so probably has a lot to do with what course you play.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
7 greens in regulation is fairly normal for me when I do a reasonable or good golf score.

few greens in reg.jpg

Particularly pleased with only one green hit in the last 5 holes, but only dropped one shot.
Holing only one out of seven birdie putts though - disappointing.

This score was not recent, however.

Last edited:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Just worked out that if I exclude par 3’s then there’s only 4 holes where I could go for a GIR attempt using a club of 7iron or less, every other hole is either out of range or needs a big club like FW/Hy to even attempt GIR… conclusion; I’m never gonna get 18 GIR, best possible would maybe be 9/18 but I’ve never been close to that

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
8 greens in regulation today. Not one birdie putt holed. Dreadful.

Ten two-putts in a row - very disappointing. All tap-ins.

Came very close to a zero putt par on the 5th and a zero putt birdie on the 17th. Two more tap-ins.

20th place out of 42 in a seniors comp. Score is 11th best on my 20 scores. A typical "nothing happening" round.

230622 score.jpg

Its never going to happen, but if I could get 18 greens in regulation at my course, I would expect to be 5-under par or better. Lifetime best is 3-under.

Last edited:

D-S

Visit site
Jin Young Ko hit 63 consecutive greens in regulation at LPGA CME Group Tour Championship in 2021. I think this is one of the most impressive feats in Pro Golf, I think the PGA tour record is 37.