Poor Etiquette/ Keep my mouth shut in future

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Played with a good mate in a medal today who plays off 9. Was 3 over after front 9 and had 3 pars on the next 3 and then a bogey on a par 5 after missing a 5 foot putt. Trying to give him reassurance I said he would have taken 1 over after 13 holes. The last 5 he did not play too well being 9 over and ending up with a nett 75.

Realising at the end he was unhappy and he said that I should not have mentioned his score after 13 and I apologised. He was obviously aware of his score.

How poor etiquette was it with what I said or could there be another reason?

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Sometimes we look for any excuse for playing badly and your pal maybe just used that for his poor finish.

But some really don’t want to know their score during their round and I can understand that, however well intentioned your comments were you would have been perhaps better to keep quite.

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
Personally, if I don’t want to know my score during the round, I always mention it to my playing partners before starting.

I also never mention anyone else’s score unless they ask, but that’s in no way criticising you for what you said. From my point of view you were just trying to be helpful

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Sometimes we look for any excuse for playing badly and your pal maybe just used that for his poor finish.

But some really don’t want to know their score during their round and I can understand that, however well intentioned your comments were you would have been perhaps better to keep quite.
Agree entirely with your comments. He was aware of his score as after 9 holes all scores were confirmed. My mistake, live and learn

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
If I'm keeping someone's score in a comp I'll alway confirm his/her score after each hole and the total after 9 holes and 18 holes.

As long as the 9s/18 total is done after clearing the 18th green then all is good.

A person can be aware of their "score" but its still not good to say it if they don't like it.

Personally I try to be as mentally solid as I can and stick to my game plan, rather than back off or start attacking when on a good score.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think it is bad etiquette to tell someone their score unless they ask, and i never do. I have seen a lot of rounds derailed by an untimely comment about the score. Some players try to stay in the moment, as all the golf psychs advise, and knowing their score ruins that strategy. Knowing that their playing partners are taking an interest inter score and expecting them to play well also doesn't help some. I don't go over the scores after 9 unless someone wants to do so.

Visit site
I keep it safe and in the moment

Good shot, good putt, good par etc (well here it's bel culpo, bravo, etc)

Only exception is playing with my brother if we're not partnered (..."you've got a good round going"... starting at the first, and then every prime number) :)

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
If I'm keeping someone's score in a comp I'll alway confirm his/her score after each hole and the total after 9 holes and 18 holes.

I normally do this as well, thing you have to look out for is that there are some players that don't want to know their score and could rightly or wrongly ruin their round.

It's ok at my home course as I know everyone that plays but if I was playing with a new player I would always ask if they want to confirm scores after 9 holes.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As a 9 handicapper I would be extremely surprised if he did not know his score so telling him is a bit superfluous.

We nearly always do grosses for front 9 on the 10th tee and I like to knpw their scores because we are all around the same handicap and want to know if I am playing better than them.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
It's really bad form to tell someone their score during a round, lots of golfers are total snowflakes over it and will use it as an excuse for their round to self combust - so don't do it.

On the other hand commenting that it's remarkable that they can score so well with that swing is perfectly acceptable IMO.