Picked up and walked off walking down the 18th.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Played today for the first time in 6 weeks. The four of us got to the 1st tee and the fourball in front were just walking off the green. We played the first and second and promptly waited on the 3 rd tee for the four guys to get out of range. It became apparent the four in front of us were waiting for the four in front of them. It was the same on every hole til the 10th. At that point we lost a player who went to work. The fourball in front of us played the front nine again. We got to the tenth and the other fourball was just walking off the tenth. We had to wait for them to clear the 11th before we could play our approach shots. It was the same on every soddin hole. One of our group spent every opportunity looking for balls. He found 38. Stood on the 18th tee (previous hole is a par 3) and they are 200 yards down the fairway. We were waiting again. It was purgatory. We had been out 4 hrs and 25 mins. I knobbed me drive, spent another five mins looking for balls whilst we waited, knobbed me ball again and it started bladdering it down. By this time I had lost the will to live. They had teed off 15-20 mins before us and still not finished. I picked up and walked off. Waited at the side of the green for me PP and shook hands. It was a nine hole comp, but I was bogged off.
Chucked the clubs in the car and went into the 19th. One of the guys looked at me and I must of had a look on my face. He came over and apologised for the slow play. This is the bit that rubbed me up even more. He said " every Tuesday we play a pound front and back nine and a pound overall, stableford. But on the last Tuesday its Medal and every shot counts". I just said " Clive that's a five hour round".
I went into the club shop and told the pro what had gone off whilst buying a pair of FJ boots. He and another pro knew who I was on about. It was purgatory, pure purgatory. The ignorance of standing on a green when everyone has putted out and filling in a scorecard. Youngest player is about 65.
Flippin rant over.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I know this may cause a lot of arguments, but why were you in such a rush? You had enough time for a drink after the round and time in the shop so it wasn’t as if you had to finish in 3 hours in order to then go and save lives!
Might sound a bit flippant but sometimes we should all just slow down a bit. And you did get some extra balls between you 🤪

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Played today for the first time in 6 weeks. The four of us got to the 1st tee and the fourball in front were just walking off the green. We played the first and second and promptly waited on the 3 rd tee for the four guys to get out of range. It became apparent the four in front of us were waiting for the four in front of them. It was the same on every hole til the 10th. At that point we lost a player who went to work. The fourball in front of us played the front nine again. We got to the tenth and the other fourball was just walking off the tenth. We had to wait for them to clear the 11th before we could play our approach shots. It was the same on every soddin hole. One of our group spent every opportunity looking for balls. He found 38. Stood on the 18th tee (previous hole is a par 3) and they are 200 yards down the fairway. We were waiting again. It was purgatory. We had been out 4 hrs and 25 mins. I knobbed me drive, spent another five mins looking for balls whilst we waited, knobbed me ball again and it started bladdering it down. By this time I had lost the will to live. They had teed off 15-20 mins before us and still not finished. I picked up and walked off. Waited at the side of the green for me PP and shook hands. It was a nine hole comp, but I was bogged off.
Chucked the clubs in the car and went into the 19th. One of the guys looked at me and I must of had a look on my face. He came over and apologised for the slow play. This is the bit that rubbed me up even more. He said " every Tuesday we play a pound front and back nine and a pound overall, stableford. But on the last Tuesday its Medal and every shot counts". I just said " Clive that's a five hour round".
I went into the club shop and told the pro what had gone off whilst buying a pair of FJ boots. He and another pro knew who I was on about. It was purgatory, pure purgatory. The ignorance of standing on a green when everyone has putted out and filling in a scorecard. Youngest player is about 65.
Flippin rant over.
Report them to the club. Put the ball in their court to take action

Tashyboy

Visit site
can i have the shortened version?

thats the shortened version. I never mentioned about the fourball that played the front nine again played in the same medal comp as those that played the whole 18 holes. like i say there ignorance tipped me over the edge. its ok for them there round was not stop start like ours.

Tashyboy

Visit site
I know this may cause a lot of arguments, but why were you in such a rush? You had enough time for a drink after the round and time in the shop so it wasn’t as if you had to finish in 3 hours in order to then go and save lives!
Might sound a bit flippant but sometimes we should all just slow down a bit. And you did get some extra balls between you 🤪

when i arrived at the course, the computer was down. i couldn't sign in and the guy was chasing shadows. i told him i would call back after the round. which i did. i had time but is that the point. theres slow and theres slow. if they have the time. why not let us through.

Tashyboy

Visit site
Tashyboy....I was being slightly flippant with my reply but I really do get your frustration at their total lack of golfing manners.This sort of behaviour really does 'rip my knitting'(Glasgow area expression).
Maybe try Garyinderrys suggestion next time and if that doesn't work then shoot them!!
Jim

Rip my knitting:D(y)

ademac

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I know this will make some people think I am a knob BUT if I ever get held up by a slow group and it seems like they aren’t going to let me through I always ask them to let me through, politely at first.
If they refuse, which has happened in the past, then I’ll tell them that it’s basically the rules of golf and I’m going to play through regardless and if they want to stay in the way then that’s their issue, this usually has the desired effect.
It’s not ideal, it makes things awkward and I really don’t like it or set out to be confrontational, however sometimes I can’t see how there is any other option?

Just to add- I will always let quicker groups behind mine go through and am very conscious of it.

Last edited:

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
So you think 4 hours 25 minutes is acceptable. Glad I don't have to play behind you.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
So you think 4 hours 25 minutes is acceptable. Glad I don't have to play behind you.
I never said it was acceptable, I just asked Tashy why he felt he needed to get round quicker. Everyone seems to want to do everything quicker these days and I think that is one of the reasons people a getting so intolerant

Birdie2

Club Champion
Visit site
I never said it was acceptable, I just asked Tashy why he felt he needed to get round quicker. Everyone seems to want to do everything quicker these days and I think that is one of the reasons people a getting so intolerant
I understand the sentiment of what you're saying but I'm not sure I agree. The guy even came over in the clubhouse to apologise for slow play. If even he knows that it was a problem, the OPs group should have been let through, simple as that. It winds me up when slower groups are oblivious to the fact that they are slow. Personally, I've no problem if people want to play at a more relaxed pace, but let the rest of us through!!!

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
He didn't want to get round quicker, just wanted to play without having to wait before playing every shot. There's not a lot you can do to slow things down if you're playing at your natural pace.