Picked up and walked off walking down the 18th.

Swango1980

Visit site
I agree with the OP, and that slow play is a real problem. Some players are just plain ridiculous when it comes to pace of play, never being ready, long pre-shot routines, etc.

However, I was just wondering on the flip side, and to a lesser extent, does anyone ever have an issue with the very fast players. Not in general, but the ones who have the attitude that "I expect to play a round in 2-3 hours, and anyone who delays me for a second will feel my wrath". You know the types, hands on hips, shouting, demanding to go through immediately, hitting their shots when you are barely out of range. The group in front may be playing at a fairly average, normal sort of pace, but don't rush their golf like the guy behind. They may well be thinking of a point to let him through, but don't do it absolutely immediately, because it will also destroy the rhythm of their own round. So, instead try and wait for a better opportunity to do so in the next hole or so. Sometimes, I think for those types of people, golf isn't really for them. You have to expect to be held up a little bit every now and then, and if you can't handle it then that is a weakness in your golfing mentality. Of course, as per first paragraph, 5 hours is crazy long and most golfers should expect to be let through in that situation.

I also heard that some research had been done in finding out how much the game sped up by allowing players to putt with the flag in. Apparently, it turns out it has actually slowed the game down. Not sure if this is conclusive, but I can imagine it to be true. I'm sick of having to ask players if they want the flag in or not no matter how far away they are. In some groups, I've to take it out, put it back in again for the next guy, then take it out, then put it back in again, etc. Crazy.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I agree with the OP, and that slow play is a real problem. Some players are just plain ridiculous when it comes to pace of play, never being ready, long pre-shot routines, etc.

However, I was just wondering on the flip side, and to a lesser extent, does anyone ever have an issue with the very fast players. Not in general, but the ones who have the attitude that "I expect to play a round in 2-3 hours, and anyone who delays me for a second will feel my wrath". You know the types, hands on hips, shouting, demanding to go through immediately, hitting their shots when you are barely out of range. The group in front may be playing at a fairly average, normal sort of pace, but don't rush their golf like the guy behind. They may well be thinking of a point to let him through, but don't do it absolutely immediately, because it will also destroy the rhythm of their own round. So, instead try and wait for a better opportunity to do so in the next hole or so. Sometimes, I think for those types of people, golf isn't really for them. You have to expect to be held up a little bit every now and then, and if you can't handle it then that is a weakness in your golfing mentality. Of course, as per first paragraph, 5 hours is crazy long and most golfers should expect to be let through in that situation.

I also heard that some research had been done in finding out how much the game sped up by allowing players to putt with the flag in. Apparently, it turns out it has actually slowed the game down. Not sure if this is conclusive, but I can imagine it to be true. I'm sick of having to ask players if they want the flag in or not no matter how far away they are. In some groups, I've to take it out, put it back in again for the next guy, then take it out, then put it back in again, etc. Crazy.
I've actually never played with anyone who was like that. I think the too-slow types who never let you through far, far outweigh the number of people who want to play too fast.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

i don't agree, golf etiquette says you should always let faster groups though, why should a single or even a 2 or 3 ball have to wait on every shot just because it would ruin the rytham of a slow coaches round? play as slow as you like but let faster groups through end of.

I'm a pretty fast player, but i don't ever run to my ball, but still get round in a decent time, that to me isn't having to wait on every shot.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 21258

My son when I just play with him, almost runs off like a rocket, its fast. Find I am lagging behind him and panting to keep up. Makes for a lovely gentle stroll / walk after work, I find.:p:LOL:

Not played with many, that are super fast and for the last year or so, I have been trying to adjust my speed slower according to pace of play, as I find waiting on shots (especially in bad weather) does my head in.

Swango1980

Visit site
i don't agree, golf etiquette says you should always let faster groups though, why should a single or even a 2 or 3 ball have to wait on every shot just because it would ruin the rytham of a sloch coaches round? play as slow as you like but let faster groups through end of.

I'm a pretty fast player, but i don't ever run to my ball, but still get round in a decent time, that to me isn't having to wait on every shot.
I agree with that. But I was talking about a group who are not in any way known to be slow coaches, but there was a particularly rapid player behind. I also agree that the faster group should be let through at some point. However, in another situation, sometimes a group behind catches up with another group, yet the group behind is not necessarily quicker. It is just that the group in front may have had a particularly bad hole that slowed them down more than normal, or a group in front of them may have temporarily slowed them down, before getting back to a quicker pace. Sometimes, it doesn't make sense to immediately let the group behind through if it is not obvious that they are actually much quicker. However, if it is not obvious initially, it may become obvious within a hole or so.

So, I'm not saying slow groups should not let faster groups through, far from it. I'm just saying a very few players expect to be let through almost immediately when they may not, overall, be that much quicker than the group in front.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I agree with that. But I was talking about a group who are not in any way known to be slow coaches, but there was a particularly rapid player behind. I also agree that the faster group should be let through at some point. However, in another situation, sometimes a group behind catches up with another group, yet the group behind is not necessarily quicker. It is just that the group in front may have had a particularly bad hole that slowed them down more than normal, or a group in front of them may have temporarily slowed them down, before getting back to a quicker pace. Sometimes, it doesn't make sense to immediately let the group behind through if it is not obvious that they are actually much quicker. However, if it is not obvious initially, it may become obvious within a hole or so.

So, I'm not saying slow groups should not let faster groups through, far from it. I'm just saying a very few players expect to be let through almost immediately when they may not, overall, be that much quicker than the group in front.
when it comes to letting anyone though there is an old saying.... No time like the present. why wait you get caught and you can see someone waiting... just let them through, there are ways to let groups though that don't involve you all standing around.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Basically, everybody should be able to play at their own pace which is comfortable for them. And the only way for that to happen, the ONLY way, is for slower groups to let faster groups through on the course.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site

No, I simply let those players through. Not difficult then relax knowing I'm not holding up a faster player.

Even if the course is "rammed" I'll always still offer the player to play through but explain its backed up. Usually the person agrees and is happy to wait, however the occasional time they do want to go through on they go and I then watch them getting frustrated in front of me and not behind me.

Swango1980

Visit site
No, I simply let those players through. Not difficult then relax knowing I'm not holding up a faster player.

Even if the course is "rammed" I'll always still offer the player to play through but explain its backed up. Usually the person agrees and is happy to wait, however the occasional time they do want to go through on they go and I then watch them getting frustrated in front of me and not behind me.

So, let me get this clear. Course is rammed. You are being held up by a group in front (who no doubt are being held up by groups in front of them). There is a group being held up behind you. So, as a result you let them through, only for them to be held up anyway. Presumably, if course is rammed, you will continue to have groups come up behind you. Do you just stand aside and let the whole world pass, or is there a point at which you say, enough is enough?

I thought the general etiquette was if you had lost a hole to a hole and half to the group in front, it was a good idea to let faster groups behind through. It makes no sense to let a group through who will clearly just be held up by the same group you are being held up by, unless you know that group (and potentially the slow groups in front of them) will also let them through. If you are a player frustrated about being held up by slower groups in front, rightfully, I hardly think the first thing in your mind is to let people behind you through, who may be no quicker than you at all.

If you are playing in the last group of a competition, do you let social groups behind through, even if you are being held up by groups in the competition in front of you?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
So, let me get this clear. Course is rammed. You are being held up by a group in front (who no doubt are being held up by groups in front of them). There is a group being held up behind you. So, as a result you let them through, only for them to be held up anyway. Presumably, if course is rammed, you will continue to have groups come up behind you. Do you just stand aside and let the whole world pass, or is there a point at which you say, enough is enough?

I thought the general etiquette was if you had lost a hole to a hole and half to the group in front, it was a good idea to let faster groups behind through. It makes no sense to let a group through who will clearly just be held up by the same group you are being held up by, unless you know that group (and potentially the slow groups in front of them) will also let them through. If you are a player frustrated about being held up by slower groups in front, rightfully, I hardly think the first thing in your mind is to let people behind you through, who may be no quicker than you at all.

If you are playing in the last group of a competition, do you let social groups behind through, even if you are being held up by groups in the competition in front of you?

a hole and a half!!!! are you kidding. No.. you should let faster groups through, in general a 3 ball will be faster than a 4 balls and a 2 ball will faster than a 3 ball and a single will be faster than a 2... simples. if you are not keeping pace with the group in front, you are losing pace, not wait till its 1 and half holes to do so

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I know it was a long post, but as I said it was a nine hole comp. a lot of members play nine holes then coffee and home. The back nine is millionaires golf.. When we got on the 13th fairway and was waiting for the green to clear, we saw two guys on our 17th green. In essence the next group were four holes in front.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I know it was a long post, but as I said it was a nine hole comp. a lot of members play nine holes then coffee and home. The back nine is millionaires golf.. When we got on the 13th fairway and was waiting for the green to clear, we saw two guys on our 17th green. In essence the next group were four holes in front.
They were Prob Labour Voters and wanted to hold you up:ROFLMAO:

Swango1980

Visit site
a hole and a half!!!! are you kidding. No.. you should let faster groups through, in general a 3 ball will be faster than a 4 balls and a 2 ball will faster than a 3 ball and a single will be faster than a 2... simples. if you are not keeping pace with the group in front, you are losing pace, not wait till its 1 and half holes to do so
??? If you are teeing off on a par 3, you need to be at least a hole behind the group in front before teeing off, even if you are quicker than them. You make a mess of that hole, you could be further behind, yet still catch them up as you are generally quicker. So, the guideline is that by a hole and a half or so, it will become more apparent that you are slower. Calm yourself down ;).

I also never said you had to wait one and a half holes before letting them through. It was a reference to how far the group is in front of you, not how long you should wait before letting a faster group through. Clearly, if they are obviously quicker, ideally you let them through asap.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
??? If you are teeing off on a par 3, you need to be at least a hole behind the group in front before teeing off, even if you are quicker than them. You make a mess of that hole, you could be further behind, yet still catch them up as you are generally quicker. So, the guideline is that by a hole and a half or so, it will become more apparent that you are slower. Calm yourself down ;).

I also never said you had to wait one and a half holes before letting them through. It was a reference to how far the group is in front of you, not how long you should wait before letting a faster group through. Clearly, if they are obviously quicker, ideally you let them through asap.
never heard of a hole and a half, if i were behind a group and they had already left the green before we got there we hve lost ground on the group in front simple as that

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site

No you let faster players through period.

Four balls very rarely chase four balls to get through. It's usually 1 or 2 balls who are pushing 4 balls. Hence why you let them through as they have more chance of progressing through the field.

However as I say - my experience is one that the vast majority of players in this situation except that they're not going to progress.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I never said it was acceptable, I just asked Tashy why he felt he needed to get round quicker. Everyone seems to want to do everything quicker these days and I think that is one of the reasons people a getting so intolerant
It’s not that he wants to do it quicker!
He just dosnt want to do it that slowly, there is a difference.
Standing around on every shot is not good for your game or blood pressure.

dronfield

Visit site
Following a particularly bad experience at our club I recently raised a thread on here re slow play. Unfortunately, despite a lengthy email from the club advising all members of their responsibilities re pace of play (prompted by an incident on the course during a medal), last week's 4BBB took 4 hours 40 mins to complete!
Certain slow groups have been identified, so will be interesting to see what action the club decides to take - would imagine options are limited.