Picked up and walked off walking down the 18th.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I never said it was acceptable, I just asked Tashy why he felt he needed to get round quicker. Everyone seems to want to do everything quicker these days and I think that is one of the reasons people a getting so intolerant
If you're looking for the problem 'these days' I would suggest it is a lack of manners rather than looking to do things quicker. I see no evidence of golf being played any quicker. Holding people up and not letting them through is just down right rude.

ademac

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I’m not sure people are ‘getting’ so intolerant.
I’ve always been intolerant of ignorance and bad manners to be honest, there is simply no need to hold up people and ruin their leisure time. It wouldn’t happen in most other activities so why is it happening so often in golf?
As others have said, If people want to take their time and play at a slower pace then let them crack on but they need to be letting quicker players through, it’s just basic manners.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
that is nonsense.

We played on Sunday as a 5. Ok, we weren't holing everything out. But without rushing, we were 3 hours 10 minutes.

Ready golf works a treat.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
why is it rude inconsiderate players always come and apologise after the round, they know full well they are holding up the whole field and are not in the slightest bit sorry. theres a couple of groups that do that at ours, every time the say hope we didn't hold you up knowing full well they did and the whole field behind them.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I don't think it's a case of people wanting to play faster, it's the opposite, people want to play slower.
When I grew up, 4 hours was a nightmare and in those days very rare.
When I grew up 3 hours was a nightmare (y).....on a championship course as well.
4 hours would have you up in front of the committee.
Two balls or foursomes only until 10.30 am worked a treat

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I don't think it's a case of people wanting to play faster, it's the opposite, people want to play slower.
When I grew up, 4 hours was a nightmare and in those days very rare.

Bob, what do you think has changed over the years for four hours to be acceptable and slow play to be so " common".

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
that is nonsense.

We played on Sunday as a 5. Ok, we weren't holing everything out. But without rushing, we were 3 hours 10 minutes.

Ready golf works a treat.

Grant i play ready golf, as does another PP who plays with us now. We like it. However how can a club encourage it. How can players who are stuck in there ways change.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I never said it was acceptable, I just asked Tashy why he felt he needed to get round quicker. Everyone seems to want to do everything quicker these days and I think that is one of the reasons people a getting so intolerant
I don't think it's a question of total time the round takes. For me personally, when I have to stand around and wait before I hit every shot I tend to play terribly. It kills the enjoyment and my golf. It's nothing to do with wanting to get home by a certain time.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Grant i play ready golf, as does another PP who plays with us now. We like it. However how can a club encourage it. How can players who are stuck in there ways change.

I don't know. We all knew each other and someone took the lead on the 1st tee to play ready golf.

But it doesn't always happen at my club, especially in medals. You will still get guys taking time over who has the honour on the tee, and everyone looking across the fairway till someone else hits.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site

You have a EGM and explain this is the way going forward and that is what the club is promoting and wishing the membership to engage in and take forward. You write it into the constitution and you start to take action against persistent offenders. We need to stamp out this slow play epidemic that has swept into golf. And that includes hammering players like De Sham BO!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
why is it rude inconsiderate players always come and apologise after the round, they know full well they are holding up the whole field and are not in the slightest bit sorry. theres a couple of groups that do that at ours, every time the say hope we didn't hold you up knowing full well they did and the whole field behind them.
That makes it worse for me. If they had no idea they were holding people up then they just need it explaining to them, but if they were aware to the point that they apologised afterwards, why did they not just let the groups play through?? Ridiculous.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
That makes it worse for me. If they had no idea they were holding people up then they just need it explaining to them, but if they were aware to the point that they apologised afterwards, why did they not just let the groups play through?? Ridiculous.
yep really Fs me right off

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Bob, what do you think has changed over the years for four hours to be acceptable and slow play to be so " common".

I think it's a combination of many little things which all add up.

How can players who are stuck in there ways change.

They shouldn't have to.
Everybody should be allowed to play at a pace that's comfortable to them.
I've said it all along, fast players out first, slow players out last.
Everyone is happy

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've been to some clubs where there are signs at certain points, could be 6th and 12th, 9th etc, advising how long the round should have taken you up to that point if you are a 2 ball, 3 ball, 4 ball. A little like signs that flash at you when you enter a 30 zone. Not enforceable but quite effective at a low level. That is something simple that can be done easily.

For comps, the pro, or whoever gives you a card, could write on the estimated finish time. After a round get players to go straight into the pro shop and have the finish time logged.

Doing the above should highlight the offenders, build up a body of proof and then it needs the club to take action to speed them up. If the club wont act then all of this is pointless of course.

Jacko's post is a very good one for real stick in the muds.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've been to some clubs where there are signs at certain points, could be 6th and 12th, 9th etc, advising how long the round should have taken you up to that point if you are a 2 ball, 3 ball, 4 ball. A little like signs that flash at you when you enter a 30 zone. Not enforceable but quite effective at a low level. That is something simple that can be done easily.

For comps, the pro, or whoever gives you a card, could write on the estimated finish time. After a round get players to go straight into the pro shop and have the finish time logged.

Doing the above should highlight the offenders, build up a body of proof and then it needs the club to take action to speed them up. If the club wont act then all of this is pointless of course.

Jacko's post is a very good one for real stick in the muds.
I'm not sure about any of that really. I don't mind if a group wants to take their time as long as they let the other groups through quickly. And in fact, a group who has let two groups through will probably add 15 minutes to their round in doing so, so by your methods their round will look even worse when in fact they've done the right thing. Unless allowances are made by them advising that they let two groups play through.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm not sure about any of that really. I don't mind if a group wants to take their time as long as they let the other groups through quickly. And in fact, a group who has let two groups through will probably add 15 minutes to their round in doing so, so by your methods their round will look even worse when in fact they've done the right thing. Unless allowances are made by them advising that they let two groups play through.
They are just suggestions, a starting point. There are always situations which can be explained back in the shop, letting others through etc. If you are not holding anyone up then your time is irrelevant. If however you are holding groups up and the course becomes blocked then it becomes very relevant.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I know this may cause a lot of arguments, but why were you in such a rush? You had enough time for a drink after the round and time in the shop so it wasn’t as if you had to finish in 3 hours in order to then go and save lives!
Might sound a bit flippant but sometimes we should all just slow down a bit. And you did get some extra balls between you 🤪

But a five hour round is plain ridiculous