Panic buying fuel

• Thread starter Deleted member 18121
  • Start date

Have you been an panic bought fuel today?

• Yes

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • No

Votes: 76 98.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Spent 2 hours driving round to find a petrol station without a massive queue and realised when we found one that we were driving our all electric car ??
There was a viral video a few months ago where someone in America was at a petrol station trying to find the fuel cap.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Was only joking! Not all good though, our power supplier has gone bust so filling up my carers leccy motor is going to get dearer ??

Switch to octupus sharpish .. get on go see what they offer for go itself .. ATM the go part is still cheap when you get on it...you have to have an electric car to have it so u start off £££ then goes down

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Do tell me then who is responsible for panic buying? And who whipped them up?

There's no shortage of fuel and only two fuel companies who have been suffering extreme difficulties with their distribution.

There are a number of factors affecting there recruitment of drivers but if it suits you to pretend that it is attributable to our leaving the EU then good luck.

It is perfectly obvious that Brexit is an important part of this. If you choose to stick your head in the sand, then good luck, and point me toward media reports of similar fuel shortages in nearby EU countries. CNN is pretty clear why it is happening.

I am sure you realise that if people hear that there is likely to be a shortage, some who need the commodity will go and get some asap. That is only common sense and prudence. Unfortunately, this creates a greater demand and shortages and it becomes self-fulfilling because even a Brexiter in denial cannot make their care move without fuel.

I haven't tried to buy any fuel, by the way, don't need much anytime soon.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 18588

It is perfectly obvious that Brexit is an important part of this. If you choose to stick your head in the sand, then good luck, and point me toward media reports of similar fuel shortages in nearby EU countries. CNN is pretty clear why it is happening.

I am sure you realise that if people hear that there is likely to be a shortage, some who need the commodity will go and get some asap. That is only common sense and prudence. Unfortunately, this creates a greater demand and shortages and it becomes self-fulfilling because even a Brexiter in denial cannot make their care move without fuel.
There is no fuel shortage merely difficulties being experienced by Texaco and Esso in their distribution.

The situation has been exacerbated by irresponsible reporting by MSM.

And, not that it's relevant, I am not a Brexiteer. Quite the reverse in fact as I actively campaigned for remaining within the EU.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Well as a relative of mine owns a logistics company I can only say that he doesn't find any interest among the younger generation to be trained as HGV drivers or other manual occupations.

No shortage of applicants for IT/admin positions regardless of many not having relevant qualifications or experience.
Conclusive evidence right there.
Is that not what you have done in post #100 with your remarks on the over 50's?
Errrr yes. That was entirely my point ??‍♀️

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site

I haven't tried to buy any fuel, by the way, don't need much anytime soon.

There are no shortage in EU like there is no shortage in the U.K.

https://www.itv.com/news/2021-09-24/why-fuel-supply-issues-are-prompting-petrol-stations-to-close

just a small supply issue with BP that has been whipped up by the media. All which I have no doubt your aware of but don’t let that stop you whipping that dead horse eh?

D

Deleted member 18588

Conclusive evidence right there.

Errrr yes. That was entirely my point ??‍♀️
Slightly more evidence than you have managed to provide.

I presume from your response that you are suggesting that it is OK for you to generalise .

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I really can't understand the inability of so many who can't see/accept the obvious, and immediately blame whoever they are not happy with at that moment in time.

Two of the major fuel retailers have had delivery problems for a while now. Based on normal turnover, the fuel outlets (garages) are able to reasonably predict what (various grades of) petrol and diesel they need in 2 days time and order accordingly. Recently these two retailer's garages have been experiencing delayed deliveries and are now having to predict up to 4 or 5 days in advance what they will need – often before the current delivery is due. Don't forget that they have to pay upfront for the fuel so they can have paid for 2 deliveries that they may not have received. And if they have ordered (say) 75/100,000 ltr of various fuels then that's a lot of dough.

Part of the fuel driver's training includes knowing how to balance their load (obviously for safety reasons) and if the garage got their guess wrong about the quantities of various grades of petrol and diesel required, they may not get all that they ordered i.e. different grades of petrol in different tanks on the tanker plus diesel is heavier than petrol, so the driver has to assess a safe loading and the garage doesn't necessarily get all that they wanted and the rest goes back.

So. If they haven't been able to fill all their tanks, in a couple of days that garage could run out of some grades of fuel so regular customers go to garage down the road. With greatly increased custom, that garage runs out and even if not one of the affected two, can't get a delivery for 2 more days so when they run out their regular customers go elsewhere. The media hear about it and invite Corporal Jones to do his “Don't panic Mr Manwaring” and Frazer says “We are all doomed I tell you”.

Yes, there is an overall shortage of HGV lorry drivers (including those additionally qualified for fuel deliveries) – as there is in the EU and this is more to do generally with pay and working conditions and younger people not wanting that type of job rather than other “influences”. There is no shortage of fuel – just a supply hiccup to a couple of major supply chains. And for anyone remotely interested, I did fill up a week ago before all this started as I was down to 1/3 tank (can't understand why anyone would deliberately run on the dregs).

Wow. Managed to avoid both the B and the G words there.

Oopps

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I really can't understand the inability of so many who can't see/accept the obvious, and immediately blame whoever they are not happy with at that moment in time.

Two of the major fuel retailers have had delivery problems for a while now. Based on normal turnover, the fuel outlets (garages) are able to reasonably predict what (various grades of) petrol and diesel they need in 2 days time and order accordingly. Recently these two retailer's garages have been experiencing delayed deliveries and are now having to predict up to 4 or 5 days in advance what they will need – often before the current delivery is due. Don't forget that they have to pay upfront for the fuel so they can have paid for 2 deliveries that they may not have received. And if they have ordered (say) 75/100,000 ltr of various fuels then that's a lot of dough.

Part of the fuel driver's training includes knowing how to balance their load (obviously for safety reasons) and if the garage got their guess wrong about the quantities of various grades of petrol and diesel required, they may not get all that they ordered i.e. different grades of petrol in different tanks on the tanker plus diesel is heavier than petrol, so the driver has to assess a safe loading and the garage doesn't necessarily get all that they wanted and the rest goes back.

So. If they haven't been able to fill all their tanks, in a couple of days that garage could run out of some grades of fuel so regular customers go to garage down the road. With greatly increased custom, that garage runs out and even if not one of the affected two, can't get a delivery for 2 more days so when they run out their regular customers go elsewhere. The media hear about it and invite Corporal Jones to do his “Don't panic Mr Manwaring” and Frazer says “We are all doomed I tell you”.

Yes, there is an overall shortage of HGV lorry drivers (including those additionally qualified for fuel deliveries) – as there is in the EU and this is more to do generally with pay and working conditions and younger people not wanting that type of job rather than other “influences”. There is no shortage of fuel – just a supply hiccup to a couple of major supply chains. And for anyone remotely interested, I did fill up a week ago before all this started as I was down to 1/3 tank (can't understand why anyone would deliberately run on the dregs).

Wow. Managed to avoid both the B and the G words there.

Oopps
This is more a question than disagreeing. Surely the fuel outlets don't physically pay for the fuel upfront, I would imagine they have an account that is invoiced and they pay within an agreed number of days. It's quite normal for companies to have around one hundred days for payment.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Driving to work today.. queues at every Garage on the 25 mile trip

Few guys at work have run out of fuel and using the wife's car

How long before something important is missed because of these idiots

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
This is more a question than disagreeing. Surely the fuel outlets don't physically pay for the fuel upfront, I would imagine they have an account that is invoiced and they pay within an agreed number of days. It's quite normal for companies to have around one hundred days for payment.

I must admit that I don't know about the very large chains, but the smaller independents certainly do (according to a friend who owns a BP one) and it's not a credit rating thing.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Driving to work today.. queues at every Garage on the 25 mile trip

Few guys at work have run out of fuel and using the wife's car

How long before something important is missed because of these idiots
Indeed, and something that many have over recent weeks said and been very exercised about - and that the government is now legislating to prevent. You just couldn’t make up what’s happening in and to our country at the moment.

Anyway - desperately hoping that the fuel delivery issue is resolved very quickly for the many who need to travel for their work; if they can’t travel they can’t do the job; and if they don’t do the job they don’t get paid. Words of good intent are great - but what is required is action that makes a difference now.

Last edited:

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I went out to do some conker collecting with the boy at 8am this morning and the petrol station was over flowing.
My car is on the light and 10 miles into that so I have around 30 miles in it. I won’t go out out until all those who need it for their journey to work have got theirs .. so Monday I will have a look but not so bothered, the other car has 3/4 of a tank and does 39mpg average so that will last.
I don’t see the connection to Brexit, I see a connection to the media causing mass panic, I don’t even think the HGV driver situation is that bad, there is and are lots of other transport methods and then smaller vehicles can be used in urban areas as well… it’s just looking at the problem and being pragmatic we have an impatient society who likes to spend money on frivolous purchases . Cannot wait for my hot tub .. it will make my life complete ?

D

Deleted member 18121

Heard an interesting conspiracy theory this morning.... Allegedly this panic is created to get rid of the last of the e10 petrol so that e5 can take over. And as we all know, the ethanol content in the new petrol degrades older car's engine components quicker and therefore pushing us faster towards an all electric ownership.

Tin foil hats at the ready.... Or some truth in it. Who knows.