Putting fuel in to your tank

Cherry13

Head Pro
Visit site
Fill it up to full around pay day when it’s low enough… wait a few month, then fill up again.
Pre c19 it was once a month, and always ensure if setting off on a long trip I do so with a full tank.

D

Deleted member 15344

The recent fuel problems left me pondering.

What do you do normally?

Me I have always only half filled my tank and let it go to about just above red before refilling.

My reasoning- the more fuel you have in the car the worse the MPG and the all the extra weight at the rear of the car brings a noticeable difference in the cars handling and performance.

EC61DC49-1D2F-4CD9-BEE3-ACC043C916B6.jpeg

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site

What do you do normally?

Me I have always only half filled my tank and let it go to about just above red before refilling.

My reasoning- the more fuel you have in the car the worse the MPG and the all the extra weight at the rear of the car brings a noticeable difference in the cars handling and performance.

What car do you drive?

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
What car do you drive?
Must be one like this :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

shopping

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
My car hits me with the red light when there are 80km left in the tank. I then fill up during the next supermarket run, preferably mid week evening rather than the weekend. Less busy.

Why my warning and distance left numbers are I’m in when everything else is in miles I have no idea.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm sure the extra 0.00001 mpg is worth it

I'll leave you to do your own maths

Reducing weight means reducing fuel cost. A recent study found that for every 100-kg reduction, the combined city/highway fuel consumption could decrease by about 0.4 L/100 km for cars

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Reducing weight means reducing fuel cost. A recent study found that for every 100-kg reduction, the combined city/highway fuel consumption could decrease by about 0.4 L/100 km for cars

I can get 5 people including Massive car seats and still get 50mpg out of a tank

It makes next to nothing difference

Pointless way of thinking

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Modern house, I've just put the washing on and will transfer it to tumble and she will put away in morning whilst I prepare kids breakfast
It was meant as a joke. Never mind ?. Just like when you suggested your Wife thinks the car funds it's self ?

Last edited:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

"Can you save money at the bowser by only half-filling the fuel tank?" https://theconversation.com/amp/can...wser-by-only-half-filling-the-fuel-tank-36260

Highlight of the article is the figures of litres used per 100km

8.16 compared to 8.06 over 100km

Really worth the 0.1 of a litre over 100km

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site

What car are you driving where you can reduce 100Kg of fuel?
I have a pretty standard 59 litre tank and that fuel weighs c. 45Kg tops.

Also not sure that any of the cars that we drive have suspension, transmissions and chassis configurations that we would sense the difference in handling of twenty something kilos of weight from the missing half tank of fuel. I know my car certainly isn’t precision engineered enough for that level of sensitivity.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I just go to petrol station on whatever day I notice I won't have enough fuel for the days expected journey/s (inc a reserve for an unplanned 2 hour traffic jam)
Then I get the bloke to stick £20 worth in for me

Repeat

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

What do you do normally?

?

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Me it depends on what I am going to be driving over the next week. If it is miles then I will fill it. If not then £30. It does advise that if you are not going a great distance, do not fill your car because the mpg will be better.
On a side note, our local rag gave advise on storing Fuel etc. I gave them a Tashyboy bollocking for helping folk to hoard.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I just go to petrol station on whatever day I notice I won't have enough fuel for the days expected journey/s (inc a reserve for an unplanned 2 hour traffic jam)
Then I get the bloke to stick £20 worth in for me

Repeat
2hr jam? That must be pretty much the length of the island?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
2hr jam? That must be pretty much the length of the island?

Yeah pretty much :)

But going through rush hour each day its too easy to come across a minor accident that means everyone's crawling/stopping/crawling for a few km's, so i don't let the fuel get too low (i.e light on)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
One for those with electric cars - Do you plug in every night or do you let it run down to 1/4 as most seem to do with petrol / diesel cars?

Equally, did you start off charging each night but now ease off as you get more comfortable with range?

I'm not being funny, I'm wondering if going electric changes your habits.