Moving tee markers to help alignment

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
...which is why I think that the direction of play arrow in the rule book is superfluous. Players choose a direction of play - could be anything.
Permitted rectangular teeing area is defined by the tee markers and not direction of play.

NearHull

Visit site
I am rather surprised/taken aback by players believing they have a right to move daily markers. Even if you are not in a competition, others may be. The course is laid out by the greenkeepers under the oversight of the Competition/Greens Committee, it is not up to a player to change the course - even by a few inches or feet by moving a marker to conform to their perception of which way the tees should face.

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
I always smile at players [...] that want to put the ball at the very front edge of a teeing area - really is a few inches going to make that much difference to what shot you have next.

I have watched players set up in an absolute mud bath of an area of the tee because it is the very front which was chosen by most players whereas going back a yard or two gives a near pristine area.

I'm baffled by this too. I generally give myself a foot or so (sometimes more) just in case I make an absolute horlicks of my stroke. If I just succeed in knocking the ball off the tee I want it to remain in the teeing area so I can re-tee for my second stroke. I realise this may sound daft and defeatist, my driving isn't that bad! It's only going to matter 0.0000001% of the time; but going back a foot never penalises me, so why not?!

Swango1980

Visit site
I'm baffled by this too. I generally give myself a foot or so (sometimes more) just in case I make an absolute horlicks of my stroke. If I just succeed in knocking the ball off the tee I want it to remain in the teeing area so I can re-tee for my second stroke. I realise this may sound daft and defeatist, my driving isn't that bad! It's only going to matter 0.0000001% of the time; but going back a foot never penalises me, so why not?!
Why don't you always tee off 2 club lengths behind the markers? That way you might increase those odds to 0.0000006%

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
Why don't you always tee off 2 club lengths behind the markers? That way you might increase those odds to 0.0000006%
I'll take up your suggestion. Just to maximise the potential benefit, I will measure two club lengths every time I tee up the ball. I will do this until my playing partners batter me with their six irons and throw my corpse into the woodchipper.

Swango1980

Visit site
I'll take up your suggestion. Just to maximise the potential benefit, I will measure two club lengths every time I tee up the ball. I will do this until my playing partners batter me with their six irons and throw my corpse into the woodchipper.
I can't wait to play with you when you hit a drive 5/6 the length of 2 club lengths, and you twirl the driver at the top of your follow through (like when Tiger or Rory flush one), proud of the fact that you know you can re-tee your golf ball for the second shot and that your methodology has finally paid off :)

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
I can't wait to play with you when you hit a drive 5/6 the length of 2 club lengths, and you twirl the driver at the top of your follow through (like when Tiger or Rory flush one), proud of the fact that you know you can re-tee your golf ball for the second shot and that your methodology has finally paid off :)
5/6 of two club lengths would be about 6 feet. That wouldn't even make it into my top ten worst drives. 😁

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Tough school at Torksey o_O