Dangerous dogs?

D

Deleted member 15344

Sorry i meant to type, can be dangerous to others ... oh wait, I did!

All smoking is not anti-social, (there's even cigar clubs) but it definitely is a problem to certain non-smokers
All smokers don't cause issues through secondary smoke, the 3rd party may also be smoking

All smoking is dangerous - every single person whether actually smoking or taking in second hand smoke is at risk

Smoking is anti social to anyone not smoking when they are exposed to the smoke

Anyone smoking near someone whether inside or outside is causing an issue to that persons health

I can’t catch cancer from a dog , I’m not at risk of lung and breathing issues from being near a dog.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I'm not sure dogs are banned from many places to be honest. Just seems to be a policy amongst shops. Plenty of dog friendly pubs, cafes, shops etc out there. They are allowed on public transport too. If you spend 2 days a week in a room with a smoker it's going to cause you health issue. Do the Same with my doggos and youre just going to make 2 new friends.

Listen I get it, we can all come up with a scenario that puts either dogs &/or smoking in a bad light, dog owners and those that like dogs will naturally find a positive perspective for their side of the fence… but its really just a matter of degrees/likelihood as to how one is perceived positively or negatively to the other

Dogs are banned or prohibited in plenty places while not banned in others, same as smoking

The most severe downside of both is of course tragic

paddyjk

Banned
Visit site
All smoking is dangerous - every single person whether actually smoking or taking in second hand smoke is at risk

Anyone smoking near someone whether inside or outside is causing an issue to that persons health

I can’t catch cancer from a dog , I’m not at risk of lung and breathing issues from being near a dog.
Hmmm to be fair my Frenchie stinks the place up. 🤢🤢

paddyjk

Banned
Visit site
Listen I get it, we can all come up with a scenario that puts either dogs &/or smoking in a bad light, dog owners and those that like dogs will naturally find a positive perspective for their side of the fence… but its really just a matter of degrees/likelihood as to how one is perceived positively or negatively to the other

Dogs are banned or prohibited in plenty places while not banned in others, same as smoking

Which places . I can't think of any to be honest.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

You are if it has its jaws round your throat :eek:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Which places . I can't think of any to be honest.

Not really gonna start a list but hospital seems obvious, haven't checked but away from some obvious ones like that I'd guess football stadiums, cinemas etc and just for the extreme... there was a thread on here about dogs on golf courses and I recall there was some that didn't permit dogs (but I think smoking was ok) :giggle:

paddyjk

Banned
Visit site
Not really gonna start a list but hospital seems obvious, haven't checked but away from some obvious ones like that I'd guess football stadiums, cinemas etc and just for the extreme... there was a thread on here about dogs on golf courses and I recall there was some that didn't permit dogs (but I think smoking was ok) :giggle:
Smoking is banned , dogs allowed or not is a policy choice.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site

Why are you labouring to connect Dangerous Dogs to Smoking? It’s a False Equivalence.
These XL dogs are just too aggressive and powerful to be around in everyday society… owners invariably want them for their reputation, even cropping their ears to make them look more demonic.

In my opinion (as a lifelong dog owner) these breeds should be phased out. They should be registered and neutered/spayed. Only allowed in public muzzled.

Smoking is antisocial and a killer but you are comparing Apples with Oranges.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Why are you labouring to connect Dangerous Dogs to Smoking? It’s a False Equivalence.
These XL dogs are just too aggressive and powerful to be around in everyday society… owners invariably want them for their reputation, even cropping their ears to make them look more demonic.

In my opinion (as a lifelong dog owner) these breeds should be phased out. They should be registered and neutered/spayed. Only allowed in public muzzled.

Smoking is antisocial and a killer but you are comparing Apples with Oranges.

No intent to labour, I posted an observation on the similarity of calls/suggestion of bans in these areas given the recent smoking one in the Lounge… then it was questioned/disputed or asked for clarification... so I did

I fully agree about the apples and oranges, they're both different but... they're both still fruit

D

Deleted member 15344

You are if it has its jaws round your throat :eek:

“IF” and it’s a situation that only happens with certain type of dogs and in certain situations where the dog has been treated badly or has been bred a certain way

But all smoke will cause issues , all smoke will cause health issues

I’m going to guess you are a smoker ?

I used to smoke and thankfully I quit because of the dangers , because of how anti social it was

I’m firmly in the belief that the rules should be stronger

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
“IF” and it’s a situation that only happens with certain type of dogs and in certain situations where the dog has been treated badly or has been bred a certain way

But all smoke will cause issues , all smoke will cause health issues

I’m going to guess you are a smoker ?

I used to smoke and thankfully I quit because of the dangers , because of how anti social it was

I’m firmly in the belief that the rules should be stronger

I'm fully of the belief that the rules for keeping a dog should be stronger

D

Deleted member 15344

I'm fully of the belief that the rules for keeping a dog should be stronger

As do a number of people 🤷‍♂️

But that still doesn’t make it a valid comparison to smoking

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Bare with me…

Is a wolf a breed of dog, or vice versa? Once upon a time the answer was “no.” More recently, scientists have determined that the answer is they are more closely related than previously thought. An example of that closeness is they can be crossbred, unlike dogs and foxes. But wolves don’t make good pets, even those that have been raised from pups in domestic surroundings because there’s still too much ‘wildness’ in them.

I’ll put the bully XL in that camp. Too close to wild, too many innate (wild) characteristics that haven’t been bred out. And I believe every breed fits somewhere on that sliding scale between still a bit too wild and totally docile.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
As do a number of people 🤷‍♂️

But that still doesn’t make it a valid comparison to smoking

I have zero issue with someone having a dislike, loathing even hatred towards smoking but it follows some ppl will have the same opinion about (all) dogs (dislike/danger/smell/litter etc etc) thus making the comparison of the two valid, and both viewpoints are as valid/true as the other.

To attempt to point score for which is the less stinky/dangerous etc etc is not really on

edit: oh and like the ex-smoker, (that is somehow supposed to carry some weight of sorts) I'm an ex-dog owner, having had two great dogs for over a dozen years (mother and daughter)

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Bare with me…

Is a wolf a breed of dog, or vice versa? Once upon a time the answer was “no.” More recently, scientists have determined that the answer is they are more closely related than previously thought. An example of that closeness is they can be crossbred, unlike dogs and foxes. But wolves don’t make good pets, even those that have been raised from pups in domestic surroundings because there’s still too much ‘wildness’ in them.

I’ll put the bully XL in that camp. Too close to wild, too many innate (wild) characteristics that haven’t been bred out. And I believe every breed fits somewhere on that sliding scale between still a bit too wild and totally docile.
Yes I agree.
some people have big cats as pets.
but would you be comfortable sitting in a pub if the next table had a Tiger sitting under it.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I read there were 9000 recorded dog attacks last year, up by 1000 on the previous year.
only a very small number made high profile were by a Bully XL.
How many on here who have a dog, have had them “nip” someone unprovoked or even provoked? That is a dog attack.
I seems to me many dog owners are defensive or their animal insisting they are safe, yet most dog attacks happen in a home. I say this as a dog lover, and one who only has had rescue dogs and will do again, once all my grandchildren are here and growing.
Too many people have a dog, and them after that children.
Too many people have a dog and assume everyone else loves it.
Too many people let their dog run free around people and we all know showing fear to a dog can cause them to get fearful themselves and start barking.

Midnight

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Talking about the banning of any dog is always going to be emotive , there are lots of different views in regards to the rights and wrongs of it.

There are people who have a fear of dogs(quite rightly so) due to a bad incident who would more than likely like all dogs to wear a muzzle.

There are lots of dog owners who will disagree with this , so if you do disagree what is the answer ??

I have friends who are not gangsters/criminals/pretending to be hard who have this breed of dog and they are the softest dogs I have seen, however if they turn they are going to do some serious damage like most dogs will. These owners don't allow there dogs to run off leash unless in a rented/secure field, they have already told me they will muzzle their dogs if told to.

In reference to muzzles, they need to be the correct ones , certain muzzles dogs can get out of and can still nip/bite through. Also one thing people don't realise is dogs can easily be taught muzzle attacks as a less lethal way of putting a person down/protecting themselves , it is still very painful when you are hit by a dog like this.

I have no idea what the answer is in regards to this type of dog , in my opinion the dangerous dog act needs refreshing/updating .
I have no doubt that certain people who own this type of dog will now be looking at other dogs for replacements i.e Cane corsa and other breeds.

Have a look at the German and Swiss dog laws , they won't solve the issue with this dog but will help with other dog owners and ensuring they have some form of basic training.

I have written the above as a dog lover, a dog owner, a ex dog handler and someone who has investigated dog bites.

The last thing I want to write is well done for not turning this post in a slagging off each other post, which could be easily done .

Midnight ...