Hello From Sunny Newcastle - Newbie Golfer needing Some advice

ribuck

Visit site
Hello,

Just thought i'd do a quick post to introduce myself and say hello, from not so Sunny Newcastle. I'm a complete golf green horn, and by that i mean i've literally had one lesson with my local golf course pro. Anyway before i ramble on too much, i'll get straight to the point - Help, Help and oh yes help.

The Golf Pro loaned me a few clubs for the first lesson, but i need to get some of my own ideally before the next lesson in 2 weeks time. So like an over enthusiastic dog greeting your leg, I went off in the search on the tinterweb for possible options for my first set of clubs. At this point, it's probably a good idea to describe myself so you dont have to guess. I'm 5' 10.5" and yes the .5" is important ;-) i'm medium build or Tubbs as my wife likes to refer to me and 46 years old. So not a spring chicken. My godness, it's starting to sound like some strange dating site profile.

So i'm looking for my first set of clubs or to be more specific my first set of Irons. I'm not interested in box set, and primarily want to concentrate on irons unless i find a cracking deal on a good quality set of full clubs. I'm looking for some beginner clubs that re going to be very forgiving and a bit easier to strike as i have Zero experience.

So i'm trying to keep my budget to £500-£700 but will push it a little further if people recommend a particular set of Irons.

So far i have narrowed it down to the following 3 choices :-
1) Clevland HB Turbo Irons (Graphite 6 -> SW) Approx £499
2) TaylorMade Sim2 Max OS (Steel 6-PW) Approx £749
3) Cobra Speed XL Full set (10 clubs) - Approx £699

So i just wanted to get people views - I'm less bothered about the cost, and move concerned about ease of use - something that isn't going to punish me and slap me around the face every time a hit a mis-strike - which in fairness will probably be around 90% of the time to begin with.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Cheers,
Rich.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
You get way better value for money with second hand, even if they're only three years old say, they could easily be £250 cheaper and no worse off. A set of Ping G400s, or Callaway Rogues for example. Or Mizuno JPX900.

RichA

Visit site
Hi Rich. I am a returner to golf and most definitely not an expert, however, I've gone through buying, selling and trying various clubs in the last year.
If I were you, I'd consider getting a set of game improvement clubs around the £200 mark and saving the remainder for when, in 6 months time, you inevitably decide you'd really like to get a new set of your choosing that you feel fit your game.
Your dimensions should fit any of the 100s of iron sets on eBay.

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi Rich. I am a returner to golf and most definitely not an expert, however, I've gone through buying, selling and trying various clubs in the last year.
If I were you, I'd consider getting a set of game improvement clubs around the £200 mark and saving the remainder for when, in 6 months time, you inevitably decide you'd really like to get a new set of your choosing that you feel fit your game.
Your dimensions should fit any of the 100s of iron sets on eBay.

This for me. All of the mainstream manufacturers produce cavity back irons and the choice 2nd hand is huge, prices have risen somewhat in the last year or so, but still a huge saving over new and the tech isn't a big difference between new and 10 year old irons. Stay away from muscle backs and blades and you will be fine, keep on with a few lessons and get out and play, then maybe look to upgrading in a year or so when the itch needs scratching........because it will!

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I wouldnt buy new straight away. You may find/ probably will find that you want to change equipment quite quickly even though they are new. Depends on a lot of things but for your money Id buy used and build a whole bag to play with before buying new kit.

Ive built you a bag via golfbidder mostly made up of Ping G30. Ping G equipment is great quality, forgiving and reliable (and a nice well known brand name too)

Irons 5-SW - https://www.golfbidder.co.uk/product/1118455/Ping_G30.html - £376

56 degree wedge (good all rounder) - https://www.golfbidder.co.uk/product/1115337/Ping_Tour-S.html - £49

3 wood (optional) - https://www.golfbidder.co.uk/product/1117964/Ping_G25.html - £99

Driver - https://www.golfbidder.co.uk/product/1116386/Ping_G30.html - £178

Next day delivery - with you by your next round at the weekend!

Fabia999

Visit site
As the above(s) said, I personally wouldn't buy new right away. Your game is going to come on massively in the next few months I would make a decision then when you understand more about your game, that doesn't mean you can't get a solid set of irons for now. If the stuff starts with Ping G you'll be getting some solid and forgiving. Try get yourself somewhere that sells nice irons and has a simulator so you can see your numbers.

Welcome to Golf! Hope you enjoy it!

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As others have said, second hand is an opportunity to buy a great set of clubs at a decent price.

In actual fact, I bought my current set off ebay, c.£260 for a nearly new set of irons that would have been £500 or so new.

Iron tech hasn't changed a great deal over the last few years, so even a 4 or 5 year old set in good condition will be perfect. Get your pro to stick a new set of grips on them and save yourself the cash for more lessons, or to buy a driver or whatever else you fancy.

If on the other hand money is no object, speak to your pro, or another local expert, and get a new set! Try a few game improvement options and see which you like best.

ribuck

Visit site
Hi All, Many thanks for all the replies. I'm more than happy to get second hand clubs, so putting the second hands vs new to one side, as complete beginner - how do people feel about more traditional "Game Improvement" clubs vs the Hybrid clubs like the Clevlands as reading reviews and watching youtube, they appear to be the most forgiving, but not sure if the design would hinder me later on before i buy a new set

So out of the many different more traditional style or cavity back "game improvement" clubs - are there any that stand out as being just that little bit better ?

RudeBhoy - I'm having lessons at Tynemouth Club at the moment, but haven't decided which club will eventually be my home club.

Cheers,
Rich

Last edited:

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Seems to me that what would be best for you would be if one your local forumers here could accompany you to the Killingworth shop and answer your questions as you browse. How about it chaps?

ribuck

Visit site
I'm having a cheeky long weekend as i finished work today for the week, so might just pop down in the morning after I drop the kids off at school and see what they have got. Hopefully they might have a simulator, so i can try them.

ribuck

Visit site
the problem i have is that i dont know what i'm looking for and the shop could sell me any old crap. So any recommendations for good game improvement irons will be greatly Welcomed.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm having a cheeky long weekend as i finished work today for the week, so might just pop down in the morning after I drop the kids off at school and see what they have got. Hopefully they might have a simulator, so i can try them.
They do have a simulator, just ask before you start whacking as they will tape up any clubs you want to use to protect the faces.

It's been mentioned already but anything from the Ping G series would be ideal. Callaway and Taylormade will also offer good 'sympathetic ' options. If the head looks big and deep it's likely to help you.

Don't be afraid to get your phone out when you are in there. See clubs you like, tap in the brand and type and ask for reviews. They will soon tell you whether they will help you. Then ask to try them on the simulator.

Also remember that you need to like the look of them. Psychology is a big chunk of golf and pulling out a club you think looks good will help.

If you aren't convinced by anything you see then walk away. There are always other options.

ribuck

Visit site
I guess i google best game improvement irons of 2020 & 2021 and make a list and see if any come up second hand.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Don't be afraid to go back earlier than that. Anything from around 2015 onwards will do the job ? (I picked that date by googling the release date of my own g25 irons)

Irons age very well so don't be afraid by a set 5-6 years old. The tech on them wont have leapt forward by too much. Not enough to justify for you at this point.

Cherry13

Head Pro
Visit site
Would fully recommend the golf factory. I’ve been going for years and they are great.
Explain your situation when you go in, they’ll likely recommend a few different sets and let you on the sim if free.
Hint - the stuff at the front of the store is the expensive stuff, head to the bottom where they have clubs stored in the bags as opposed to the racks and that’s where you’ll find the ‘cheaper’ options.