What would your club do with £1 Million?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Be careful what you wish for.
At my last club they demolished a block of flats and built houses on the land.
Two weeks into people moving in and compo claims for damage to cars and houses started coming in.
We had to build a new tee and make the oob 30yrds inside the fence to try to make players aim away from the houses.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I was really meaning you would bank £1 Million after allowing for any changes required, e.g. if you sell 4 holes, you can lay out replacement holes on the other side of the course on land that wouldn't be suitable for development.

There are a lot of clubs that have suffered from under investment and could easily spend a lot of cash just redoing bunkers and tee boxes as well as drainage works.

10 years later you could be back where you started and now don't have any land to sell.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I imagine we would carry out the course alterations recently recommended by Tim Lobb. Clubhouse has recently been extended, new practice ground facilities, nets etc upgraded, so only tweaks to the course left.

toyboy54

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I would go along with Garush34s ideas .....new equipment for the greenkeeping staff,realignment of some tees/new sand in bunkers/pathways-astroturf pathways,cover the costs of the new indoor swing centre(complete with all electronic measurement devices)plus invest the balance in a well paying bank account to provide a safety net for the future.
Also invest in our practise area which is about a mile away from the 1st tee(thinking a cable car system as our place is also known as Pyrenees-rather hilly)with new bunkers etc!
All this would be with SWMBOs permission of course!!!!

Jimbo

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Good luck to all you folk looking for a well paying bank account. You will do very well to get interest at anything approaching the current rate of inflation.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Wishful thinking really, as we have absolutely no spare land. But if we somehow had a million windfall, it would go straight into the "new cluhouse fund". We desperately want/need a new clubhouse and need about £5 million.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Wishful thinking really, as we have absolutely no spare land. But if we somehow had a million windfall, it would go straight into the "new cluhouse fund". We desperately want/need a new clubhouse and need about £5 million.

Maybe i'm just out of touch but 5 mill sounds like a mega budget, must be some design

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Maybe i'm just out of touch but 5 mill sounds like a mega budget, must be some design

Only got some "indicatives" so far, but everyone who knows about these things is talking some £4-6 mill so i plumped for the middle.

(But its got to be good - apart from one or two of the tallest buildings up in central London, we have the absolute best view in the whole of London. And of course, they can see us ...)