Dangerous dogs?

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Maybe dogs should earn the right to be off the lead in public outdoor areas etc

So until a dog has demonstrated the ability to obey its owners commands without fail in everyday situations like being in same space with playing/shouting children, interacting with other animals, traffic noise, ppl on bicycles, people playing ball sports etc, then it must be kept on a lead

Once it passes its ‘badges’ then it has more freedom

To be fair, where i live now a lot of the dogs are working dogs or are used in shoots at the weekend and so they are immaculately trained.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I don’t know ask him!

Why does any dog chase a man down and rip his throat out.?
Waiting until after the event is to late!

I bet the family of the guy killed this week are asking similar questions.
Owning a dog is much like being a parent. If you encourage a dog to be aggressive it probably will be, if you encourage a child to be aggressive then it probably will be. Some breeds of dog are more prone to being aggressive due to their breeding (a bit like people)

I've had three Springer Spaniels and they have been the loveliest companions that I've loved like my children and they have given back as much to me.

If all dogs need to be muzzled when outside then likewise a number of humans shouldn't be let out unless handcuffed.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Owning a dog is much like being a parent. If you encourage a dog to be aggressive it probably will be, if you encourage a child to be aggressive then it probably will be. Some breeds of dog are more prone to being aggressive due to their breeding (a bit like people)

I've had three Springer Spaniels and they have been the loveliest companions that I've loved like my children and they have given back as much to me.

If all dogs need to be muzzled when outside then likewise a number of humans shouldn't be let out unless handcuffed.
Maybe dogs of a certain size and weight need public muzzling. Complicated I know but something needs doing.!

small dogs are very aggressive at times but at least most people could stop them relatively easily.
Some of the big dogs though???
if you pull one of them off somebody you have to let go at some stage , your then in grave danger from it.
Plus you have to contend with the owner!

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Maybe dogs of a certain size and weight need public muzzling. Complicated I know but something needs doing.!

small dogs are very aggressive at times but at least most people could stop them relatively easily.
Some of the big dogs though???
if you pull one of them off somebody you have to let go at some stage , your then in grave danger from it.
Plus you have to contend with the owner!

I've seen suggestions of dogs over 40kg or similar. I guess the issue lies with breeds like Irish Wolfhounds and Great Danes who are both generally very placid breeds. So maybe bull type breeds over a certain weight...then how is it policed? That's always the issue I suppose but responsible owners won't take any chances but the dodgy ones will ignore the rules and then the risk remains.

I'm conflicted and don't know the answer. I do know I'm worried for my dog's safety when encountering anything that looks pit bull type. A guy in the village has two and one followed me home once. Fortunately it was young and very much a puppy and just excited. When I told the guy he had no control over his dog he clearly had no idea what that even meant. Ranted about how the people in the village were against him and his dogs. He did go on to muzzle one and also walk at times when it's quiet - BUT I still dread encountering him when I'm out with my two. We were most comfortable when he was enjoying some time away from the village for drug dealing. Served his time and then moved back to the social housing in the village!

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've seen suggestions of dogs over 40kg or similar. I guess the issue lies with breeds like Irish Wolfhounds and Great Danes who are both generally very placid breeds. So maybe bull type breeds over a certain weight...then how is it policed? That's always the issue I suppose but responsible owners won't take any chances but the dodgy ones will ignore the rules and then the risk remains.

I'm conflicted and don't know the answer. I do know I'm worried for my dog's safety when encountering anything that looks pit bull type. A guy in the village has two and one followed me home once. Fortunately it was young and very much a puppy and just excited. When I told the guy he had no control over his dog he clearly had no idea what that even meant. Ranted about how the people in the village were against him and his dogs. He did go on to muzzle one and also walk at times when it's quiet - BUT I still dread encountering him when I'm out with my two. We were most comfortable when he was enjoying some time away from the village for drug dealing. Served his time and then moved back to the social housing in the village!
There is no easy answer but something has to be done.
it’s a difficult one.
but a small dog dosnt do the damage one of those bully things does..

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There is no easy answer but something has to be done.
it’s a difficult one.
but a small dog dosnt do the damage one of those bully things does..
I would say though, that a small dog biting your ankle is just as likely to make you afraid of dags, and that happens more often.
Thats no apology for the Bully XL, I dont see a need for them.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would say though, that a small dog biting your ankle is just as likely to make you afraid of dags, and that happens more often.
Thats no apology for the Bully XL, I dont see a need for them.
Yes it might scare you as it did to me when very young.
but a small dog won’t rip half your leg off.
Thats the difference to me .
You only have to listen to what doctors were saying about the damage these dogs do.

Nobody takes the cat equivalent (tiger/ lion ) for a walk in the park.
But they are kept as pets.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
As I've said in an earlier post, it's the people who own these as a status symbol, have no idea how to own and control a dog, or deliberately train them to be aggressive and then let them roam loose off the lead, that are the issue. I am not condoning the breeding of XL Bullies. In fact I feel sorry for them, and pocket bullies, and any other animal bred to meet the aesthetic requirements of humans irrespective of the long-term issues that animal faces. Or the impact on other people as is the case here.
The problem is that if (when) they ban XL Bullies, the type of people who own this particular breed will either obtain them illicitely or simply move to another breed, or a breed manipulated to meet the particular perverse needs of the owners.
It is too easy for people to get dogs such as these. Money is the driver for the breeders. There is nothing to control the breeding and sale of them. If you want to buy a pedigree with documentation, the kennel club at least has a say. If you want to get a rescue, then the rescue organisations will check the owners and accomodation for suitability. I wouldn't mind betting that most of the XL Bully owners would not pass the vetting process.
Legislation on ownership is the only way forward but, TBH, those who want to own dogs such as these will ignore any requirements and carry on without meeting those requirements. The same way that people drive cars without insurance, tax and MOT.

Last edited: