Olympics - Paris 2024

Bazzatron

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I mentioned this the other day. I think I worked out that if they ran that pace at a 5K Parkrun, they'd finish in about 18 minutes. That would be around the top of the leaderboard at many parkruns, and may well win it at quite a few.

It would be top 20 at least as ours. If I got lapped by someone walking I'd never go again.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I mentioned this the other day. I think I worked out that if they ran that pace at a 5K Parkrun, they'd finish in about 18 minutes. That would be around the top of the leaderboard at many parkruns, and may well win it at quite a few.
And there I was wasting my effort running them in circa 28 minutes! Next time I'll bloody walk it!

Swango1980

Visit site
I spent all my youth training for events like the egg and spoon race, and the three legged team race. Only for all that hard work and training to go to waste, as it doesn't feature at the Olympics. If only sports day had included the cross country waddle, it might actually have been worth all the effort.

Bazzatron

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I've just watched a video of the steeple chase pit without any water in it and apparently it's 12 feet from the...fence bit to where they land. Thats sounds massive.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
I've just watched a video of the steeple chase pit without any water in it and apparently it's 12 feet from the...fence bit to where they land. Thats sounds massive.
I once judged a track competition and there was a guy who finished the steeple chase with dry shoes. He came near last, but his target was to keep the shoes dry and get a couple of points for his team. So on a max effort one can clear the whole pit from the beam.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Maybe it is just me but the Olympics seems to lose a bit of momentum after week one. I think it is because of all the heats and actually less happening in the way of results and, equally, there appears to be less GB medal hopes. Not sure what was on in the Stade De France and the velodrome in week one but is there any argument to run more of the heats early on so as the games builds to a crescendo of finals rather than as we have now.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Maybe it is just me but the Olympics seems to lose a bit of momentum after week one. I think it is because of all the heats and actually less happening in the way of results and, equally, there appears to be less GB medal hopes. Not sure what was on in the Stade De France and the velodrome in week one but is there any argument to run more of the heats early on so as the games builds to a crescendo of finals rather than as we have now.

100%. I think there's a feel that the most important element is the track and field but I'm not sure. The fact it's going on from 9am to 9pm every day does kind of monopolise I suppose. Either that or I've got Olympics fatigue!

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
100%. I think there's a feel that the most important element is the track and field but I'm not sure. The fact it's going on from 9am to 9pm every day does kind of monopolise I suppose. Either that or I've got Olympics fatigue!

But even then, showpiece events like the 100m are already done and dusted. I mean it is not as if the Velodrome was used for anything else so surely they could run heats last week and have a week of finals this week etc.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The rugby 7s were in the SdF during the first week so they couldn't have athletics then. Also, If they have too many events at once, then the spectators can't watch as much - both in person and on TV.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
But even then, showpiece events like the 100m are already done and dusted. I mean it is not as if the Velodrome was used for anything else so surely they could run heats last week and have a week of finals this week etc.
With the cycling, they have to spread the events a bit as many competitors do multiple events at each Olympics.

Swango1980

Visit site
For me, I felt it has gained momentum after week 1, now that the Athletics is on. Week 1, to me, is the warm up week. Showing some sports I've never really watched. Bit of swimming, bit of diving, etc. Then Week 2 I'm more glued to it, just because the Athletics is on.

Also like the fact some of the big races are spread out over the week, especially the shorter distance races. So, don't mind the fact that the 100m is early on and the 200m is later in week. Then enjoy the relay races at the end of the event.

That being said, I guess if you get really into the Olympics in Week 1, fatigue is always likely. Especially if one has been sitting down most of the day watching it. I pretty much limit myself to an hour or 2 each evening after work, so still feels fresh.