New GM Top 100 - how many have you played?

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Enniscrone and Carne are two of my favourites in terms of topography/location. Little to compare them to in England/Scotland (tho' I haven't played Trump Aberdeen, which people have said is similar).
If they are similar to Trump Aberdeen that is praise indeed, especially at a fraction of the price.

sunshine

Visit site
I haven't played many on this list, only 19. I've never played in Ireland and can't see that changing given outrageous pricing / EUR v GBP exchange rate.

Never ceases to amaze me how high Royal Liverpool sits in these rankings. It is a fabulous course (worthy of top 100), but if it wasn't hosting the Open it would be much lower down the list.

Surprised not to see Dundonald on this list. As good as any other links I've played.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
The local course to me is Sherwood. They have advertised for midweek rounds at £90 a Chuck. Suffice to say it has been ridiculed by the locals at that price. Me Ave a feeling it’s to keep the riffraff away.

sunshine

Visit site
The local course to me is Sherwood. They have advertised for midweek rounds at £90 a Chuck. Suffice to say it has been ridiculed by the locals at that price. Me Ave a feeling it’s to keep the riffraff away.

I am guessing that membership is full so they have increased the green fee to manage down the number of visitors. I expect most private clubs are going to do the same this year when (if) they open to non-members.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I haven't played many on this list, only 19. I've never played in Ireland and can't see that changing given outrageous pricing / EUR v GBP exchange rate.

Never ceases to amaze me how high Royal Liverpool sits in these rankings. It is a fabulous course (worthy of top 100), but if it wasn't hosting the Open it would be much lower down the list.

Surprised not to see Dundonald on this list. As good as any other links I've played.

Dundonald is a next 100 course, you won't find a course in the Top 100 without a clubhouse regardless of how good the course is.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
18. Have had chances to play a few more, but not chasing any of them.

The Top 100 is always a controversial exercise. RCD is truly a magnificent course, so no arguments there, but further down gets more questionable.

Remedy Oak is in 100th place. A lovely setting and some nice holes but utterly ruined for me by a few holes that were squeezed in to spaces ill suited to them. The 8th is a dreadful hole that practically ruins the course all on its own, and the 18th is a poor finishing hole where they seem to have run out of space and bodged a hole in. The 2nd would be a better par-5 if the pond had a bit of space before the green. As it stands the average player will always have to lay up.

And The Brabazon. Oh dear. Ryder Cup history does not a good course make. Never has been a good course, never will. Lots of utterly forgettable holes, then a few that are memorable but not for good reasons.

I'll take Bearwood Lakes over either of those any day.
Agree with all those comments on Remedy!

sunshine

Visit site
Dundonald is a next 100 course, you won't find a course in the Top 100 without a clubhouse regardless of how good the course is.

But the list is "Top 100 golf courses", not top 100 clubhouses. If reviewers are marking down courses based on the clubhouse, they should be removed from the panel.

As an aside, when I played Dundonald the portacabin clubhouse was perfectly adequate for my needs.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
But the list is "Top 100 golf courses", not top 100 clubhouses. If reviewers are marking down courses based on the clubhouse, they should be removed from the panel.

As an aside, when I played Dundonald the portacabin clubhouse was perfectly adequate for my needs.

The facilities form part of the marking criteria along with many other factors hence why there is so much variation in published lists. If it was courses only there are a few you could add easily.

The portacabins are fine but it's not a clubhouse, not close.

D

Deleted member 3432

Well they marked down Silloth because it's a bit out of the way :eek::ROFLMAO:

The Lion

Visit site
An update after the main season....played 8 of this list so far now, but more when taken from other lists. Just goes to show there is some diversity of opinion in these course rankings, despite their frequent homogeneity.