Choose Your Tee Markers?

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
At my club, we have very small teeing areas, much smaller than is recommended (according to the club emails). Some of the par 3 teeing areas are a 3rd of the size that they should be and need careful management to stop them getting ruined. This is possibly one of the reasons that we only use the whites for competitions. People like Sunshine need to appreciate that the rules are there to protect the course for the benefit of everyone and they can't just do what they feel like.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Protecting tee imo is a get out excuse

Green staff are there to sort out tees and how much extra traffic do they think will happen

We were told the same by our old greenkeeper - new one said it’s nonsense and there is no issues with people playing off any tee

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
At my club, we have very small teeing areas, much smaller than is recommended (according to the club emails). Some of the par 3 teeing areas are a 3rd of the size that they should be and need careful management to stop them getting ruined. This is possibly one of the reasons that we only use the whites for competitions. People like Sunshine need to appreciate that the rules are there to protect the course for the benefit of everyone and they can't just do what they feel like.
Our white tees are relatively small as well but the green staff do a great job of moving the markers daily so areas don't get overly compacted and are on top of filling divots (yes we the members have asked for the divot boxes back as they were before Covid). They keep them in grat condition and never an issue playing off them at any time

sunshine

Visit site
So you have little respect for other club's wishes/conventions?

I don’t think it’s equitable for a club to reserve nice pristine tees for the members and expect visitors to play off some scruffy forward tee like a second class citizen. Visitors green fees are now generally very high and therefore expectations around presentation should be high too. It’s quite a simple equation.

In my experience, if a club treats visitors with respect, then visitors are more likely to respect the course in return.

Last edited:

sunshine

Visit site

Green staff are there to sort out tees and how much extra traffic do they think will happen

We were told the same by our old greenkeeper - new one said it’s nonsense and there is no issues with people playing off any tee

Absolutely. I understand a short par 3, most players will be taking a divot so takes time to recover. But majority of holes, players are hitting driver off the tee, many people wear spikeless shoes now, so just moving the markers around regularly is fine.

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site

When I played on Saturday, we went off the whites and someone on the back 9 asked us if we were playing a competition, they weren't very happy about it when we said no :LOL:

D-S

Visit site
It is pretty poor design if you have back tees that are too small to accommodate normal wear.

This means that your daily/yellow tees need to be enormous to withstand the vast, vast majority of rounds.

I’m surprised clubs haven’t prioritised enlarging these tees in their project work over the years. If they are old courses that have been lengthened then it hasn’t been done correctly as they must have decided to build inadequately sized tees, if they are newer courses then the original design is poor.

Allowing play off multiple tees spreads wear which is sensible.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It is pretty poor design if you have back tees that are too small to accommodate normal wear.

This means that your daily/yellow tees need to be enormous to withstand the vast, vast majority of rounds.

I’m surprised clubs haven’t prioritised enlarging these tees in their project work over the years. If they are old courses that have been lengthened then it hasn’t been done correctly as they must have decided to build inadequately sized tees, if they are newer courses then the original design is poor.

Allowing play off multiple tees spreads wear which is sensible.
I will use our 6th hole as an example. It is a par 3, about 120 to the middle, depending on tee. One single teeing area which is about 4-5 yards wide and about 15 yards long. We have to fit red, yellow and white onto this. We can't go left as that is a farmers field, we can't go right as that is the 5th green. No room at the back as that is also the farmers field and going forward would make the hole way too short. This isn't a new course and has not been lengthened so your facts are a bit off in this case.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I will use our 6th hole as an example. It is a par 3, about 120 to the middle, depending on tee. One single teeing area which is about 4-5 yards wide and about 15 yards long. We have to fit red, yellow and white onto this. We can't go left as that is a farmers field, we can't go right as that is the 5th green. No room at the back as that is also the farmers field and going forward would make the hole way too short. This isn't a new course and has not been lengthened so your facts are a bit off in this case.

15 yards really doesn’t seem enough to accommodate three sets of tees for a medium busy golf course (especially when you consider the 2 club length needed behind each set of markers) that’s half the 15 yards used up before markers are even moved to rest grass and with little option to expand its hard to see how it works

I wonder if its a viable option to group the white/yellow & red together so its all the same length for that hole ? That way the three sets can be moved daily back/forth along the prepared area for even wear?

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
15 yards really doesn’t seem enough to accommodate three sets of tees for a medium busy golf course (especially when you consider the 2 club length needed behind each set of markers) that’s half the 15 yards used up before markers are even moved to rest grass and with little option to expand its hard to see how it works

I wonder if its a viable option to group the white/yellow & red together so its all the same length for that hole ? That way the three sets can be moved daily back/forth along the prepared area for even wear?
It’s why we don’t play from whites apart from in competitions to give us a little more room for the red/yellow

wjemather

Visit site
I think since the advent of WHS, and how we're supposed to put cards in all the time to MyEG, I don't think clubs should be denying access to certain tees. Any half-decent player that comes to my course, if they were forced to play off yellows I think they'd be a bit miffed about how few shots they'd get, and they'd much prefer to put a card in off the whites. Similar to how senior men should be able to play off the reds now, rather than the club looking down on them and saying they are the ladies' tees. Times have moved on, and people should really be able to play any tees appropriate to them, otherwise what was the point of rating all the tees for everybody?
Who is going to pay for existing tee boxes to extended to accommodate the increased traffic (if there is even room to extend them)?

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
The question really goes to all those who think everyone should be able to play whatever tees they choose.

We have some very small white tee and it’s not caused us an issue with having all tees open

WHS allows you to enter GP scores across any tee rated

Your club are restricting members ability to get a HI that’s more reflective of playing the course at its main length

D-S

Visit site
Make the tee longer, 120 from the back 90 from the front - a tee 30 yards long by 5 yards wide should be fine to accommodate the three tee seta,

sunshine

Visit site

I think D-S has covered the facts pretty well. As stated, looks like poor design.