Choose Your Tee Markers?

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Funny how ingrained the old tee colours are in the physci. (White, Yellow, Red)

Played somewhere recently with 4 sets of tees. Colours used were none if the above. We looked at length and course rating and chose a set of tees and off we went.
This is the way.

A lot of golfers would have a lot more fun teeing it forward, and giving them a more realistic chance of par or making birdie.

I have run events for my society and always, without doubt, the first question would be 'Can we play off the whites'. No is the answer...however I always caveat and say, if you shoot 6 under on the yellows, then maybe you can go back (our society days are usually 36 holes). Guess what....they never do, and always have plenty of fun.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Played somewhere recently with 4 sets of tees. Colours used were none if the above. We looked at length and course rating and chose a set of tees and off we went.

We switched ours from

Red (ladies)
Yellow (tee off day)
White (comp)

To

Yellow (tee off day / ladies)
White (members)
Black (comp)

Majority of visitors and societies now play off the yellows speeding them up as it's shorter and less tough from them

Some nutty members still want to play off the blacks even though their like 7700 yards

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

Yeah through this thread and others I refer to white/yellow simply for easy understanding with forum readers. In reality the colours are yellow/blue (there's a white too but not much used)

edit: the full list is...
white - tournament
yellow - comps
blue - general
red - ladies
green - beginners/juniors

all open, any day
If they want any tee box protected ahead of a tournament/comp etc then the markers will move to another teeing area

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
I forgot about matchplay. So I guess at clubs where space is restricted for prepared areas there's a semi-permanent sign at 1st tee for 'Tee of the Day" to let match use the tips
I also guess that didn't apply at the course the fella that wrote the article was playing

Thinking on another aspect, where its too small a prepared area, is this the way some courses were built and its never been improved/corrected, or is it courses lengthening to squeeze in extra yardage to the property footprint
In our case it is the way the course was originally built back in the early '90s. The majority of our back tees are like islands, rather than one long continuous tee box with tee markers at different points. In some cases a few tons of earth could help give a bit more forward or sideways space to the teeing area but not everywhere.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Only if the red tee permanent markers on those holes are no more than 10 yards away from the white markers.
Then my statement about whs locking positions in is correct. I am sure in the future they will be able to isolate holes and then make up the required rating for the course.. which would be super cool. The game is not about boring repetitive games it’s mixing the challenge up changing lines and using weather and geography to challenge..
Or is it just me that sees the game like that ? Might explain why I find US tour golf a touch boring

wjemather

Visit site
Then my statement about whs locking positions in is correct. I am sure in the future they will be able to isolate holes and then make up the required rating for the course.. which would be super cool. The game is not about boring repetitive games it’s mixing the challenge up changing lines and using weather and geography to challenge..
Or is it just me that sees the game like that ? Might explain why I find US tour golf a touch boring
If clubs want ratings for a composite set of tees (e.g. 6 reds, 6 yellows, 6 whites), they can request it - many clubs have. However, if it turns out those composite tee sets aren't being used, they won't be rated next time around.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If clubs want ratings for a composite set of tees (e.g. 6 reds, 6 yellows, 6 whites), they can request it - many clubs have. However, if it turns out those composite tee sets aren't being used, they won't be rated next time around.
No split it per hole that’s the way forward, it’s probably a simple fudge factor they can use .

We switched ours from

Red (ladies)
Yellow (tee off day)
White (comp)

To

Yellow (tee off day / ladies)
White (members)
Black (comp)

Majority of visitors and societies now play off the yellows speeding them up as it's shorter and less tough from them

Some nutty members still want to play off the blacks even though their like 7700 yards
I am sorry but I think I would ask to play the whites .. some times the red is too close to pay a green fee for.. I am not being snobby it’s just what’s the point I probably would find somewhere else to play, not make any fuss.

wjemather

Visit site
No split it per hole that’s the way forward, it’s probably a simple fudge factor they can use .
All holes are rated individually from each tee, so producing composite ratings is quite straightforward. However, allowing free reign for club, or players, to pick and choose on each hole day-to-day would be absolute chaos.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I am sorry but I think I would ask to play the whites .. some times the red is too close to pay a green fee for.. I am not being snobby it’s just what’s the point I probably would find somewhere else to play, not make any fuss.

Our yellows are 6200 yards so not too short in the main

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site

A lot of courses have changed and now use colours like Black, Gold, Blue, Green to get away from "historical gender based prejudices".

Whenever I go and play a new course then I'll always look to play from a set of tees that deliver a yardage of 6200-6400 yards and distances to par 3's that are no more than 180 yards.

D-S

Visit site
We’re changing away from colours to numbers. So we will have courses called 65, 63, 60, 57 and 53. Their lengths are 650”, 6300 etc. etc.
Should be ample choice and we aim by a rerating and building of a few new platforms to have all 5 in play in the main season and 60, 57 and 53 open all year round and all off grass.

sjw

Visit site
We have red, blue, yellow and white. Red, yellow and white are what you'd expect. Blue was brought in to give us a year-round set of qualifying tees while the whites and yellows go in for the winter months.

On the thread topic, you can play whichever ones you want. Well, at least, I think you can. No-one has ever told me otherwise.

Last edited:

stevieb15

Hacker
Visit site
At my club white tees are members' summer tees, equally, we play all summer competitions from them, winter and visitors are yellow and we also have black and blue which are used for some senior events, I've never seen any of our ladies playing other than from red.
We play away at least once a month and always ask which tees we should use and never take offence when told yellow, which is most of the time.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Never understood members tees, seems a bit pretentious to me. Do these players have also have separate bar areas, locker rooms or car park ( seen this before) for members and visitors? Also, what tees do members guests play from?