Never up, never in

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I played at the weekend and must have 3 putted at least 8 times, everyone of them because I left the putt short. Part of my downfall is probably using the PuttOut at home on my carpets that I presume have a higher stimp that the current greens (I'm sure that it is a closer match in summer). How do other people adapt to green speeds? I would have thought that after a couple of holes doing it, I should have adapted but I just could not bring myself to hit it any harder :-(

You can't treat putting like a science, imo, it's an art. Not that I'm great, but I don't beat myself up about it.

The big thing with putting is every day is different. Different green speeds, different amounts of grass, different slopes, different moisture, different temperature.
Putting practice in the bank is invaluable.

Trying to practice different length putts, especially before playing a round. Trying to be positive and get the long putts to the hole.

I have done this before, but practising dozens of the same putt over and over again, I don't place all that much value on. It doesn't replicate real life. Far better to be spending time on different length putts. For most handicap golfers, avoiding 3 putts is key. So get the longer putts up near the hole and while you might hole the odd one, be positive with the shorter uphill putts to try and make your score.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Notwithstanding the obvious fact that a putt left short can never go in, I'll just make the point that I'd far rather leave a putt 6 inches short than 3 feet past.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
i was under the impression that the opposite was true on putter weight.

heavy for summer and fast greens and ligher for slow. don't ask me why, i'm sure there is an explanation somewhere... fyi i use the lightest of my bladed SC milled face putters in the winter and switch to the heavy one around may.

but use what ever works best for you at the end of the day
No that sounds backwards to me, haha.

Wolf

Visit site
I always spend a few minutes before teeing off on putting green practicing long putts of 30ft+ the aim isn't to hole it but to get the feel for distance, finish off that with half a dozen 3 footers before heading to the tee.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Notwithstanding the obvious fact that a putt left short can never go in, I'll just make the point that I'd far rather leave a putt 6 inches short than 3 feet past.

Of course, but for some reason people readily accept leaving one 3 foot short put panic when it goes 18 inches past.

Putting is also an attitude.

Embrace the panic.(y)

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Incorrect.

You will have the extra information of seeing the borrow (if any) around the hole on one that goes past. You have no information on the last few feet if its short.
This is right ,and I would add if you leave a left to right putt short you still have a left to right tiddler left.
If you get it past the hole you then have a right to left putt which I always find easier.

JollyRedDevil

Club Champion
Visit site
Years ago when I used to play with one friend on a regular bases, we had this bet that you gave 10p to the other if your put was more than half a club length short. Amazing how a 10p bet made you go passed the hole every time.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I must admit I usually don't bother going on the practise green before a round, I often used to find they're a different speed to the ones on the course anyway. Genuinely had rounds in the past where the practise green was quick, then I left everything short for the first 5 holes as those greens were all slower.

If I do have time I'll sometimes just hit a few four-footers until I hole a couple, just for that faux-confidence you get from hearing a golf ball drop into the hole. :p

CountLippe

Visit site
A good analogy I find is to imagine throwing a ball at someone for them to catch. You don't think too much about how hard to throw it, you subconsciously work it out. Same with putting, look at a point just past the hole and let your subconscious do the rest.

Robin Hood

Visit site
The only good putting advice I was given was do two practice putts, one where you know it would be short, and one knowing it would be too long.
You should intuitively get the best distance with your actual putt.
However always remember a short putt never goes in......

YandaB

Visit site
Thanks all for some excellent suggestions this has been a very helpful thread (y) I am sure that I will be able to put some of these into action and hopefully next weekend (weather willing) I can make some improvements.

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
This is right ,and I would add if you leave a left to right putt short you still have a left to right tiddler left.
If you get it past the hole you then have a right to left putt which I always find easier.

I still disagree, but we can remain friends :)
If putting is all about just knowing the line on those short putts, then everyone would putt them in time after time
But they don’t, because putting is mental, especially the short ones
So in my view, I don’t mind if I am short or long because that’s the likely statistical outcome
And I would rather be in a positive frame of mind when facing the one back or up than be worried - I tend to put the second ones in more often when I’m in a positive mind space :)
Anyway, each to our own :)

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
There are times when it's not a good idea to get it up to the hole.
My home course has a lot of greens with big slopes that can get very fast in the summer.
You REALLY don't want to send any uphill putt past the hole. Even a 6 incher back down the slope won't be conceded, and for good reason.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Like the OP I use a putting mat in the winter and it bears no relationship to the soggy uneven greens on a course.

I use a heavier putter in winter in an attempt to try to keep the same stroke going without having to make such a big swing with my lighter summer putter.

Having said that the winter greens are so soft and bumpy that all you can do is pick a line and make a good strike. If it goes in great - if not then don't get too exercised this time of year.:mad:

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Most of my casual golf is matchplay and I think that this helps my putting. As mentioned above, statistically a large percentage of long putts will miss so all I try do do is leave the ball close enough to be within "gimmie" range (think dustbin lid). Sometimes they will drop (y)

Chico84

Visit site
A good analogy I find is to imagine throwing a ball at someone for them to catch. You don't think too much about how hard to throw it, you subconsciously work it out. Same with putting, look at a point just past the hole and let your subconscious do the rest.

My first golf instructor told me this too. It really works!

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

The big difference being that when you throw a ball for someone to catch you are looking at the target during the throw/stroke, never ever the ball... which is why i look at the hole on long putts, not the ball (y)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I thought myself a good putter until after a round with a scratch player corrected my thinking - he said I might well have putted OK but I'll never be a good putter until my misses inside 6ft were a lot fewer, and when I missed I missed past the hole.

YandaB

Visit site
I like to feel that this is what I am doing, however the change in "air density" from home to course messes with my head.