Mizuno? Titleist?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I posted a few days a go about my trip to Mizuno's and the clubs that they recommend for me. I have now been to the range a couple of times and preferred the MP53' to the JPX800 Pro's but, the main problem was that the MP53's didnt go any further than my current TM Tour Burners and I was in two minds about shelling out just fo a better trajectory and a slightly better dispersion rate.

Well! Today whilst hitting the Mizuno's I was given a Titleist AP2 with a Project x 5.5 shaft to try and - WOW- did they fly! A great trajectory, yards longer than the Mizuno's and the dispersion was practically zero!

Has anyone got any views on the AP2's?

Chris

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
AP2s are good clubs, and used by many Tour players. They should not inherently be any better (or possibly even as good) as MP53s, so presumably the shaft fit suited you better. Some players find that PX gives them a few extra yards because of the flat penetrating trajectory.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I don't think you'll find any bad clubs from any of the major manufacturers.

The secret is finding the one that suits you best.

Also, I wouldn't be bothered about finding extra yards with my irons, unless you're very short with your current ones.
Accuracy is where your scores will improve.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Accuracy is where your scores will improve.
Thats where the Titleist seemed to be better

If you want to change I'd always go for the most accurate over the longest. In this case that seems to be the same club.
Maybe worth trying the PX shaft in the MP53?

I thought you were after more distance from what you said in your opening post.

the main problem was that the MP53's didnt go any further than my current TM Tour Burners

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Don't the TM burners have stupid strong lofts in them? You won't find anything longer than them because the 5i is really a 4i in disguise. Ignore the distances, and go for dispersion, or what makes you happy.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Don't the TM burners have stupid strong lofts in them? You won't find anything longer than them because the 5i is really a 4i in disguise. Ignore the distances, and go for dispersion, or what makes you happy.

I may have given the wrong impression Murph, it is always more important to get accuracy and I don't lack distance anyway 8 iron = 150 yards

Cheers for comments

Chris

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
I've had my AP2's since they were first released (must be 2 years now) and wouldn't change them for any other current club out there unless I suddenly became a little more consistent to do the titleist MB's justice.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
If you are really keen on the Mizzy why not do what Gary suggests and try the PX with the MP53's

Trouble is HJS that I am now more keen on the Titleist

Chris

Blimey you change your allegiance more than me. Looks like my I15 experiement is over and the TP's are staying for a while longer. GM announced three new TM models next year so I'll hold fire and look at them first

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Another vote for the Titleist AP2 Chris. However I will say that I have played some shots with a mates MP57s and I managed to hit some good shots with those as well. Chances are they are pretty much of muchness but pay special attention to the shaft. I have regs which I can hit very well but the ball flight is very high.I'm looking to knock that down a bit and hope that the CF session next year will help. I'm told a DGS300 shaft should help but we will see.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Blimey you change your allegiance more than me. Looks like my I15 experiement is over and the TP's are staying for a while longer. GM announced three new TM models next year so I'll hold fire and look at them first

I certainly think that we are as bad as each other HJS

Chris

redcatjazz

Hacker
Visit site
Hi,

Just my two cents - and not to confuse the issue any further - but in my opinion you would be remiss if you don't try the Nike VR Forged split-cavity irons. They are absolutely brilliant clubs. I just tried them against the Ping S57, Mizuno MP 63 and 53, Titleist MBs and CBs and a few others, and they just felt the best to me. I picked up a new set 3-PW and couldn't be happier. Again, this is just one man's opinion, but I think they should be in the lineup when shopping for new clubs. Plus they are now being offered all over at a discounted price as Nike has just issued a new line.

Cheers,
Jason

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Another vote here for the AP2's like brendy I have had them for two years I also have the 5.5 project X shaft in mine.

However they dont fit that shaft as standard now so you might be better off buying a second hand set?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Another vote here for the AP2's like brendy I have had them for two years I also have the 5.5 project X shaft in mine.

However they dont fit that shaft as standard now so you might be better off buying a second hand set?

No, you are right , they are a custom fit and add about £10 per club. I decided that they were best for me though and for that reason decided to go with them. I also had multi compound grips which were extra too. I sold my TM's though to help offset the cost

I am hoping to hit them off grass for the first time on Friday! :D

Chris

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Hi,

Just my two cents - and not to confuse the issue any further - but in my opinion you would be remiss if you don't try the Nike VR Forged split-cavity irons. They are absolutely brilliant clubs. Jason

You are probably right Jason but I didnt want to confuse matters by hitting too maby makes and models. When I blew out Mizuno I hit the Titleist as well as any club I have tried so I decided to go with them. Thanks for the suggestion, I am sure it will help others

Chris