Shafts, lofts, height and distance

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
1-2 yards per 10°F is the going rate.
So a drop from 75°F to 45°F can drop your distances 6 yards simply on temperature
Add in the temperature of the balls, extra clothing etc and you can easily see 10 yards difference on a 7 iron.....which is what 99.999% of golfers experience....
But not you, apparently......

Very true. I’ve always swapped to soft balls in the last couple of weeks (fed up losing decent balls under leaves!), and so 1-2 yards from that maybe, 5 from the colder weather and extra layers, we’re getting closer to the 150 7 iron mark.

Food for thought.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Very true. I’ve always swapped to soft balls in the last couple of weeks (fed up losing decent balls under leaves!), and so 1-2 yards from that maybe, 5 from the colder weather and extra layers, we’re getting closer to the 150 7 iron mark.

Food for thought.

Concentrate on hitter it straighter rather than longer.:)

D

Deleted member 1147

I played on Friday and a solid 5 iron was going 150 yards. :eek:
I don’t think hickory shafted 5 irons, with 45 degree lofts, go much further for even the biggest hitters ?

Patster1969

Assistant Pro
Visit site
So a drop from 75°F to 45°F can drop your distances 6 yards simply on temperature
Add in the temperature of the balls, extra clothing etc and you can easily see 10 yards difference on a 7 iron.....which is what 99.999% of golfers experience....
Agree with that - I'm likely half a club/a club more at the moment

Newtonuti

Visit site
Morale of the story, always keep your balls warm.