Shafts, lofts, height and distance

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I bought some second hand TM p790s about a year ago, regular shafts, ns pro 950gh. I’ve never quite taken to them despite my handicap coming down by 3 shots since I bought them. I think the reason I don’t love them is that although they go well when hit properly (7i about 155-160), I don’t get much height with them. Our course is covered in bunkers and I often need to get decent height to stop the ball on the green, but I don’t get that with these clubs.

A few weeks ago I picked up a bargain set of titleist ap2 712 irons, again regular shafts, ns pro 950gh neo. I hit them pretty well, get lovely height with them, however, I don’t get as much distance with them, 7i is about 140-145. Not a big deal up to around 160, but when I’m having to hit a 5 iron to a 170 flag a lot has to go right!

Couple of things I’m thinking. When I bought the titleists the seller said that the shafts were upgraded and that he’d had the same shafts put into his new set he loves them that much. Can shafts really make that much difference to both the feel of a club, the trajectory and distance?

Secondly, any idea how much a pro would charge to swap shafts over?

Much of this me thinking aloud, so any thoughts are welcome.

Neeko1988

Visit site
In my experiance shafts make a massive difference! Especially with Strong lofted irons like the P790’s. Check the lofts of the p790’s compared to the AP2 you will prob find the AP2 are more traditionally lofted and that’s why they go higher and not as far

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
There’s definitely a difference in the lofts, 7i is 35 degrees in ap2 and 30.5 in the p790s, which I guess is roughly 1 club. The ap2 7i does have a nice bit of height on it, like an 8 iron really!

So it’s likely that these 2 shafts are making very little difference.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
The difference between a ns pro 950gh reg and let's say a PX 6.5 would be huge, but between a ns pro 950gh and the neo, my guess is nothing at all.

The flight and distance differences are from the lofts and the flight characteristics of the two sets of clubs (heads).

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am a naturally very high ball hitter I once went on a 'Holy Grail' search of shaft that produced a lower flight but gave up. Different shafts in the same head (I had 3 matching TM TP heads so could do on course testing).

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I've got the TM790's with PX 6.0 They go for miles, but I'm looking at less jacked clubs next time as my 7 normally carries 164 yards but can shoot to 180+ suddenly without warning off normal lies. Which is making me look at clubs like the ZX7 and I230's next time.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Glad I posted this thread, interesting replies.

150 has been the benchmark 7i for me for years, increased a bit by the p790s, but dropping down to 140ish is a bit much. Like I say, it’s not so bad from 7-pw having to club up, but having to hit 6+ perfectly to get 150+ is a bit of a test.

We’ll see anyway, I’m enjoying the dabbling.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
When I got fitted for irons by Ping at Gainsborough they noted that I hit the ball way too high with my existing clubs and tried different shafts to try and get a lower flight. The flight was better in the best shaft for me, but still too high and so they put me in the strong lofted Power Spec lofts to get the flight closer to optimum.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Glad I posted this thread, interesting replies.

150 has been the benchmark 7i for me for years, increased a bit by the p790s, but dropping down to 140ish is a bit much. Like I say, it’s not so bad from 7-pw having to club up, but having to hit 6+ perfectly to get 150+ is a bit of a test.

We’ll see anyway, I’m enjoying the dabbling.

It's cold now too dont forget. The ball wont fly as far now as it does in the summer.

Jason.H

Visit site
NS pro 950gh neo, which I would’ve though would be pretty much the same as the others?
Generally speaking light regular shafts will give a mid/ high flight. You can learn to hit a higher trajectory with some very small set up changes. Something to work on over the winter.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Factually true, but I think the difference can be forgotten. Likely about a foot difference on his 7 iron.
1-2 yards per 10°F is the going rate.
So a drop from 75°F to 45°F can drop your distances 6 yards simply on temperature
Add in the temperature of the balls, extra clothing etc and you can easily see 10 yards difference on a 7 iron.....which is what 99.999% of golfers experience....
But not you, apparently......