Met anyone famous?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
James Bolam use to be a member at Wimbledon Common and was a smashing bloke. Dan Maskell was a member too and was a true gent. He actually talked in the same manner as he commentated. Played with him once and I hit a corker of a drive (no really) and he said "well played, well played indeed" as though he was describing a Connors volley. I had to try so hard to stifle a schoolboy giggle. He had his own place in the 19th and always got tea and toast served when walked in without having to ask so playing with him had its perks. James Hunt use to walk his dogs on the Common too and would pop over to the putting green for a chat.

Walked Royal Wimbledon with Faldo and Lyle and a handful of others chatting to them both. They were really friendly and not at all like their dour persona the media portrayed back in the 80's.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
When working for Barclays from 1980 to 96 I dealt with many celebs

Tim Brook-Taylor of Goodies fame,
Angie Best (First Wife of George).
Barbara Castle Labour MP
Clive Walker (Chelsea Player)
Mike Oldfield
Leslie Thomas (Author-Stand Up Virgin Soldiers)
Howard Jones ( Pop Star)
Ted Rogers ( 3,2,1 Game show)
Jack Scott (BBC weather man)

There are others who may spring to mind later.

had a couple of pints with Ozzy Osbourne in the Iron Horse pub (now Flats) in Amersham years ago.

Rob McElwee the BBC weather man is a neighbour and see him quite regularly.

Sir John Quinton, Ex Barclays Chairman, and past Chariman of the Football League is one of my customers

Fragger

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Bringing it right downhill, I once had the dubious "pleasure" of witnessing Lemmy of Motorhead partake in an almost certainly very illegal substance backstage at a gig at Reading Uni. He closed his eyes for 10 seconds and then was back chatting as if nothing had happened.... :D :D

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I stood next to Tele Savales ( Kojak) in a portaloo at the Moor Park 4 Stars tournament in the 80's. He passed wind loudlly and extravagently before saying - 'be lucky kid' and disappearing back to the fairway.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
couple of distant relatives on my Dad's side,
Sylvia Sims, and one only Lefty is likely to remember, Jill Day.

Met Brian May at my uncle's funeral, he used to lodge when he was a student. Nice bloke

Met one of the cast of 'It ain't half hot mum' in Tesco's - Melvyn Hayes

and got scared s*ss on Clapham Junction when I was about 7, when Freddie Mills came looming out of the fog

and of course Mike, Jezz, Paul, Alex, . . .

how could I forget - Johnny Kidd and the Pirates, fixed a sound system for them once

and Dickie Attenborough on the set of Oh What a Lovely War

Lawrence22

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
One I forgot.I went to school with Stevie Morrow. Most famous for scoring the winning goal for Arsenal in the league cup final, only to have his team mates drop him in the after match celebrations breaking his arm.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Met one of the cast of 'It ain't half hot mum' in Tesco's - Melvyn Hayes

I helped a mate do a disco for the cast of 'It ain't half hot mum', when they finished filming the jungle scenes in Frensham years ago They were a good crowd, but i was going to keep it quiet for obvious reasons.. :D :D

forefortheday

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Bringing it right downhill, I once had the dubious "pleasure" of witnessing Lemmy of Motorhead partake in an almost certainly very illegal substance backstage at a gig at Reading Uni. He closed his eyes for 10 seconds and then was back chatting as if nothing had happened.... :D :D

Isn't that what Lemmy should be doing?

I'd be a little disappointed if I met him and he was eating macrobiotic yoghurt!

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Met quite a few of the Leicester Tigers. Back in the days of Dean Richards etc they were in town most nights and the Underwood brothers were always around Rutland (Rory was at Cottesmore for a bit). Martin Johnson before he was famous used to hand out awards at the Leicester Uni end of season dinner. Julian White is a farmer and is always at local agricultural shows. Lewis Moody went to school with a fair few of my mates and Tom Croft was down my local pub for the last world cup final. At the end of the season the TIgers are generally willing to go to many charity events (seeing a drunk Tuillagi is a sight to behold). Then again, rugby players are nowhere near as closeted as footballers and are generally normal blokes who you can see in the local aupermarket etc.

As for the slightly more obscure, I met both halves of the Incredible Hulk (Lou Ferigno and Bill Bixby) and when I lived next to Pinewood Studios as a kid you used to see people from Bond Films and the Superman films all the time. When I was very young I also met what turned out to be Telly Savalas' mum in a lift in LA she took my address and sent personalised signed pictures.

Most recently went to a charity auction where the auctioneer was Julia Bradbury.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site

Isn't that what Lemmy should be doing?

I'd be a little disappointed if I met him and he was eating macrobiotic yoghurt!

Absolutely!

You should have seen the carnage that was the rest of the band/crew/hangers-on/groupies/liggers etc etc.

I ran for my life!!

MoonPig

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Met Iker Casillas the Spanish goalkeeper whilst on honeymoon, went upto the bar in a drunken state to ask the barman to put on a particular song for my wife. He replied that he couldn`t as Casillas had requested the current song. In my drunken state i completely misheard what he said and replied in a non to polite way that i couldnt give two monkeys who cassious was. At this point the bloke next to me tapped me on the shoulder and shook my hand, Casillas was stood there having a drink and christ he is a big lad, i didn`t know what to say and just hoped his english wasnt too good.
Also met Chesney Hawkes (nice fella) and my dad when on holiday many moons ago had a crack at chatting some bird from brookside up played jackie or something who was at our hotel. Very embarrasing looking back on it.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
I dont know anybody famous but had brief encounters and my 15 minutes (more like 2 minutes) on telly on a game show.

Got close to a lot of professional golfers whilst working on European Tour events over the years. We supplied technology as part of the scoring system, distance to pin etc.

Got Seve's autograph on the back of a bar receipt.
Brief hello's with Westwood, Monty, Woods, McGinley, few others, Had a beer with Matt Kuchar and a European Tour director about 10-12 yrs ago before anybody knew him.
Saw Barry Lane jogging through our business park in Wokingham, stopped him and grabbed his autograph years ago.

Non Golf.

Was a contestant on WWTBAM in 2003. Therefore met Chris Tarrant.

Met Roy Castle in a hospital around the time he was suffering from Cancer - said hello and he cracked a joke about his lack of hair god bless him.

Only a few weeks ago bumped into David Gray whilst at Cliveden. He didnt smile and hardly said hello back.

Quite a few years ago was playing a video game in a shop in the U.S. and my brother alerted me to someone behind who stopped to watch. It was Jimmy Connors - a bit random that one.

Thats all I remember right now.

bluenose10

Assistant Pro
www.collingtreeparkgolf.com
Until my recent tripto Vegas 2 weeks ago none really worth mentioning but after this holiday we hung out for 2 hrs drinking and gambling With jermain Defoe, Tom Huddlestone, Ian Wright & Bradley wright-Phillips all were really nice blokes and very down to earth. Also met Floyd mayweather Jr, jay z & beyonce having dinner with rihanna & mange west 4 tables down from us, Antonio banderas & George clooney, Enrique Iglesias and finally Holly Madison (hugh hefners ex fiancée) she was my personal favourite

Sponge1980

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I met John Daly in a bar in St Andrews last year when I was at the Open, got his autograph and a photo.

Cameron Stout who won Big Brother a few years ago was one of the officers when I was in the BB's. He's a teacher in one of the local primary schools now so still see and speak to him a bit.

Not really a celebrity but I've met the guy who fired the torpedo that sunk the Belgrano. He is a member of Reay Golf Club in Caithness and met him at one of their Opens.