men's handicaps

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
thats why i put comp handicap, i don't think you can play a comp with a handicap over 28 (men) or at least you can't at ours
I think the competition just means that it is currently active and valid for playing in competitions as opposed to lapsed but still used for the purposes of playing courses that specify a handicap limit or social golf.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think the competition just means that it is currently active and valid for playing in competitions as opposed to lapsed but still used for the purposes of playing courses that specify a handicap limit or social golf.
Er...nope.

A competition handicap is a status, indicated with a (c) in CONGU records, that may, or may not, be relevant to any particular competition entry as set by the competition committee. It requires 3 Q scores to be returned in the previous calendar year. Supplemental scores are Q scores.

Handicaps don't lapse, lapsed is not a status anymore. If you leave a club you no longer have a CONGU handicap. What happens on rejoining being a seperate matter.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Er...nope.

A competition handicap is a status, indicated with a (c) in CONGU records, that may, or may not, be relevant to any particular competition entry as set by the competition committee. It requires 3 Q scores to be returned in the previous calendar year. Supplemental scores are Q scores.

Handicaps don't lapse, lapsed is not a status anymore. If you leave a club you no longer have a CONGU handicap. What happens on rejoining being a seperate matter.
Thanks, what is a handicap without a (c) beside it? I assumed it meant it was lapsed.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Committees may restrict entry to comps based on handicap. Most elite national comps have such a limit (eg The Brabazon etc)
a) to reduce the number of entries
b) to maintain the standard of play.

However. Clubs must make provision for all members to enter and play off full handicap in a reasonable number of qualifiers, in order to maintain a handicap that relates to their ability.
Clubs may also allow entry to all but restrict prize winning to those with a low (say 18) handicap. But the full handicap must be used for handicap adjustments and CSS calculations.

To confirm. The current CONGU upper limit is 54 for men and women and has been for a couple of years at least.

Last edited:

Swango1980

Visit site
Thanks, what is a handicap without a (c) beside it? I assumed it meant it was lapsed.
This is from CONGU:

Competition Handicap
A Competition Handicap is a CONGU® Handicap of a player who has returned at least three Qualifying Scores in the current or previous calendar year. Such a handicap is annotated with a ‘c’ symbol after the numeric value of the handicap. Clubs may use the possession of a ‘c’ status handicap as a qualification for entry to competitions.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
This is from CONGU:

Competition Handicap
A Competition Handicap is a CONGU® Handicap of a player who has returned at least three Qualifying Scores in the current or previous calendar year. Such a handicap is annotated with a ‘c’ symbol after the numeric value of the handicap. Clubs may use the possession of a ‘c’ status handicap as a qualification for entry to competitions.
Thanks I've seen that though , what I was wondering is what it means without the (c)

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Without a 'c' it simply means that the player did not return 3 qualifying scores in the last calendar year. It does not mean the handicap has lapsed. It is still a fully fledged CONGU handicap eligible for competition play. But a club may use it as a qualification for entry.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Without a 'c' it simply means that the player did not return 3 qualifying scores in the last calendar year. It does not mean the handicap has lapsed. It is still a fully fledged CONGU handicap eligible for competition play. But a club may use it as a qualification for entry.
Thanks, that's interesting when I was injured a couple of years ago and couldn't put in cards, the following year none of my scores appeared in the medals untill I had completed the three rounds, I'd assumed my handicap was used but was inactive or had lapsed.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks, that's interesting when I was injured a couple of years ago and couldn't put in cards, the following year none of my scores appeared in the medals untill I had completed the three rounds, I'd assumed my handicap was used but was inactive or had lapsed.
It would have been Inactive (ie with an 'i' status). It could not have been lapsed.

Active/Inactive was the nomenclature then.

HamiltonGuy

Visit site
We’ve got quite a few men who are over 28 some over 40. No restrictions on handicap, no one over 28 have won anything as far as I can remember and they certainly aren’t slowing up the field. In my experience it’s usually the scratch guys that take longer than the new starts ...

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
However. Clubs must make provision for all members to enter and play off full handicap in a reasonable number of qualifiers, in order to maintain a handicap that relates to their ability.
/QUOTE]
Out of interest, what qualifies as "a reasonable number"?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have a question relating to this. If your handicap is say, 35, and you enter a tournament where the upper handicap limit is 28 (thus, you play off 28 for that competition) - do you still go up 0.1 afterwards if you were like, 33 over par? Or if you went round 27 over, would you get a very small cut, relative to playing off 28, or would you still get the large cut relative to being off 35?

Swango1980

Visit site
I have a question relating to this. If your handicap is say, 35, and you enter a tournament where the upper handicap limit is 28 (thus, you play off 28 for that competition) - do you still go up 0.1 afterwards if you were like, 33 over par? Or if you went round 27 over, would you get a very small cut, relative to playing off 28, or would you still get the large cut relative to being off 35?
Nope, if you were 33 over par (and under CSS), your handicap would get cut, not go up because you were worse if you played off the upper limit. In terms of the competition, your score would be based off a 28 handicap, but in terms of your handicap and CSS calculations it would be your actual CONGU handicap that would count. The definition below, including its caveat, may help in terms of what is deemed NOT acceptable as a qualifying score:

"scores returned in a competition played with less than full handicap allowance unless scores are recorded with full handicap applied and a Competition Scratch Score calculated – see definition of a Qualifying Competition "

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Where I play if the handicap limit is set at a figure you cannot enter if if your handicap is above that figure. We have none where it is 28 because we consider that number to have no significance other than historical, although certain sections such as the senior may still be clinging on to it.

AS per Swango 1980 However any adjustments to handicap have to take your stableford points based upon your actual handicap and not the playing handicap in to consideration. A player playing under such circumstances should always put his gross score on the score card and allow for his actual handicap if it is a stableford competition before entering NR.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Out of interest, what qualifies as "a reasonable number"?
Whatever a competent handicap committee considers it to be to enable it to make an assessment come annual review time.
IMO not less that 1/2 doz (may be 10).

Except for the honours board comps, all our medals and stablefords are unrestricted. The HB comps are only limited for prizes and progression to any KO rounds.
Our Rabbits section comps are limited to caps over 15. U16 can play but are only eligible for smaller prizes.

Incidentally, EG have ruled that if a stroke play comp is an eliminator for a knock out match play series, players who were limited in the eliminator must play of their full handicap for the KO rounds.