Massively frustrated

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Have been playing mediocre for most of this season. Took the plunge about 6 weeks ago and had a lesson. The result was a pretty instant change, and for a month I was playing my best golf ever. Then it stopped. Just like that. And for 2 weeks I went from bad to worse to the point when it was downright embarrassing. The absolute low point being last Friday - went to the range, started off hitting my irons ok, then after about a dozen decent iron shots, everything started going wrong, couldn't hit a thing, shanking everything. Switched to the driver, hit a couple of bad drives, then managed to break the shaft of the driver, about half an inch above the hosel. Was totally shocked and gutted. Obviously I'd hit the ball with the shaft rather than the club face! I was so gutted, I walked off the range, leaving about 50 balls lying there.

Anyway, obvious thing was to book a lesson. Had one yesterday, explained what was going wrong, pro took a look and told me what I subconciously knew - that I was hitting the ball with the club face so open, everything was coming out of the toe or even off the hosel.

He suggested a few changes which made a big difference, and I was hitting the ball great. Had an hour practicing after the lesson, and was really happy.

Had a game with my mates today up at Hexham. Got there early, had a good bit of practice and was hitting the ball lovely. Got on the course, started well, very nice par on the par 5 first. Then it started going downhill. Rapidly. Duffing drives and slicing/shanking irons. The more I tried to do what the pro told me to do, the worse it got. Was so frustrated, I ended up walking off at the 11th and leaving the rest of them to it.

Am in two minds whether to pack it in for a few months or to persevere. It is really no fun when it's this bad.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Feeling it me man. Feeling it. Back end of last season my game went tits up. I made a decision to play off the yellows next season if things didn't improve. I didnt wait till next season. I started playing off them 6-8 weeks ago. Am back enjoying me golf and above all else that's the main thing even though I have won 90ish quid in that time.
Take two steps back, and have a re think. Your not at work, no ones bending your ear, the squirrels are chasing around for nuts and the courses are looking glorious. Enjoy going out, go back to basics. Keep it at basics and course manage.
PS, grow a tash.😉

D

Deleted member 21258

A mind full of swing thoughts or negative thoughts is not a good thing for a free flowing swing. Keep those to practise and enjoy/play golf and laugh at the bad shots. Hard to do..

Son was similar 12-18 months ago when he had quite a few lessons, ended up shanking loads and loads, direction terrible, tops, nervy putting etc. I have got him to simplify things, no lessons and just practising a couple of vital things which for him was his hand path(very high hands at impact and on the downswing hands very out from the body from the top) and his putting stroke. Thankfully the turn around for him, has been massive this year. Simple is best unless you have all the time in the world to practise, a swing needs to be free flowing as number 1.

Best of luck, golf is like beating yourself up, constantly.

Last edited by a moderator:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Feeling it me man. Feeling it. Back end of last season my game went tits up. I made a decision to play off the yellows next season if things didn't improve. I didnt wait till next season. I started playing off them 6-8 weeks ago. Am back enjoying me golf and above all else that's the main thing even though I have won 90ish quid in that time.
Take two steps back, and have a re think. Your not at work, no ones bending your ear, the squirrels are chasing around for nuts and the courses are looking glorious. Enjoy going out, go back to basics. Keep it at basics and course manage.
PS, grow a tash.😉
Is this why you are looking to move to the red tees ( see other thread) I thought I could detect a motive. Lol.

Had a bit of this myself this year it can be a very cruel game and your on your own.
As Tashy says chin up and try not to let it get to you ,when you get tense the game is harder.
Smell the flowers!!!

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
2 snapped irons on Sunday after shooting +1 gross on Saturday in the medal.
Did something I’ve never done, walked off the course before I snapped every club.
So close to calling quits for the exact same reasons as yourself. (Even down to the swing faults)
Giving myself a few weeks off before I look at a club again.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Have been playing mediocre for most of this season. Took the plunge about 6 weeks ago and had a lesson. The result was a pretty instant change, and for a month I was playing my best golf ever. Then it stopped. Just like that. And for 2 weeks I went from bad to worse to the point when it was downright embarrassing. The absolute low point being last Friday - went to the range, started off hitting my irons ok, then after about a dozen decent iron shots, everything started going wrong, couldn't hit a thing, shanking everything. Switched to the driver, hit a couple of bad drives, then managed to break the shaft of the driver, about half an inch above the hosel. Was totally shocked and gutted. Obviously I'd hit the ball with the shaft rather than the club face! I was so gutted, I walked off the range, leaving about 50 balls lying there.

Anyway, obvious thing was to book a lesson. Had one yesterday, explained what was going wrong, pro took a look and told me what I subconciously knew - that I was hitting the ball with the club face so open, everything was coming out of the toe or even off the hosel.

He suggested a few changes which made a big difference, and I was hitting the ball great. Had an hour practicing after the lesson, and was really happy.

Had a game with my mates today up at Hexham. Got there early, had a good bit of practice and was hitting the ball lovely. Got on the course, started well, very nice par on the par 5 first. Then it started going downhill. Rapidly. Duffing drives and slicing/shanking irons. The more I tried to do what the pro told me to do, the worse it got. Was so frustrated, I ended up walking off at the 11th and leaving the rest of them to it.

Am in two minds whether to pack it in for a few months or to persevere. It is really no fun when it's this bad.

I've been there. Seems totally inexplicable how you can hit it well one minute then it all goes pear shaped.
In my case I have found it to be a combination of two things. Trying to "hit " the ball, as opposed to swinging through it, and second, slowing the tempo.
The slower I tried , the better I hit it. Sounds daft, but it works- for me.
Whatever, I wish you the best of luck.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Back when I had lessons I always reckoned the first round after a lesson was going to be bad due to too much concentration on how to hit the ball rather than where to hit it.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I find after a productive lesson I play well, with everything as it should then it starts to slide after about 2 or 3 weeks till I get to a month/5 weeks after and it all goes ratty. If I deliberatly slow down and regather myself I find it comes back so that come week 7 or 8 after the lesson I'm playing well again. The hardest thing is to not regress back to your old swing/action as that is what your body is used to doing and feeling.
The biggest killer of a lesson I find is going to the range, and hitting off mats. If I stick to just playing I find my lesson work stays with me longer as I dont have those "getting rapid" sessions that just ingrain faults back into my game.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
I feel your pain, I have the same frustration right now. Hitting it well 6 weeks ago, then it all went wrong, topping hole buckets. Lesson last week, went better during and directly after, yesterday topping half the bucket, and a quarter I hit the mat well before the ball. If I do the drill he told me to stop tipping it I increase the other fault. It stops me going out on the course because it’s not worth doing right now as it isn’t fun at all.
I still have 3 lessons to take, usually wait a month, but I think I might book one this week again.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Is this why you are looking to move to the red tees ( see other thread) I thought I could detect a motive. Lol. 😂😂😂😂

Had a bit of this myself this year it can be a very cruel game and your on your own.
As Tashy says chin up and try not to let it get to you ,when you get tense the game is harder.
Smell the flowers!!!

dronfield

Visit site

Hi

Been in exactly same position - had a good lesson on a Thurs, then first 2 tee shots on Sat morn were shanks in front of the whole fiddle! You immediately start thinking "what am i doing differently?"

I have lost confidence in the past and taken time away from game, including making excuses to mates as to why not available to play etc - not sure this achieved anything.

As has been said, the right approach is to forget technique and just think where you want to hit it - easier said than done, especially when you have just had a lesson!

We all hit and expect to hit bad shots, but it really is sole destroying when they are as destructive as tops, shanks etc.

Stick at it - a couple of good shots and your confidence and enjoyment will return.

Rich

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Been there and know and feel the pain. Have had lessons, gone out and worked on the changes and then hit the course like an abject beginner to the point of wanting to walk off. I usually go back to the range and catch the pro and say look I'm doing x, y and z and its not right. He'll watch me hit a few balls and tell me I've regressed and doing this or that. We'll get a fix and I'll hit some balls and get and play a few holes and be back on track. As someone who has had 5790 swing thoughts in his head at any given time, simply stand there with an empty head and trust what you've worked on

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
I’m another who feels your pain but one thing that sticks out for me in your comments is that you seem to be going for lessons for a “quick” fix.

For me golf is massively high maintenance. With the time you have you have to get the right mix of games, practice and lessons. You’re heading into the perfect time of year to keep your lessons up and get more practice in on the range. My advice would be to get your game in shape ready for spring with lessons and then have a maintenance lesson about monthly through the spring/summer.

Also don’t be afraid to switch coaches if you feel things aren’t working. One coach never suits everyone.

P.s. nice course Hexam.

Carpfather1

Head Pro
Visit site

Sound like me all season I’ve struggled with heel rockets all season and the more I tried to sort it out the worse it would get ,I stopped entering comps in the end and playing my normal weekly knock with my work friends because I felt so embarrassed at how bad I was playing . Been having lessons and put some changes in place and thank god I haven’t had a heel rocket since my misses are coming toe side now and I’m hitting my irons well only thing is my driving and fw woods have gone out the window but that’s another story .

I really feel your pain with this I wasn’t enjoying my golf at all when I went through this I nearly knocked it on the head at one stage .My thoughts were I used to be a solid 10 capper (12 now) so thought it’s there somewhere I’m not letting it beat me.

Stick at it and don’t let it beat you! there’s light at the end of the tunnel the less swing thoughts you can have the better just swing a club (easier said than done )positive thoughts hope you can get back on track .

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
No better today I'm afraid.

Had 30 mins practice before going out. Started off hitting it really well for 15-20 balls, then it gradually got worse and worse. No idea why.

Went out and played hopeless, spraying the ball everywhere but straight. Did say to my PP that I was only going to play 9 if I played as badly as yesterday. Was every bit as bad from 1-7, then from nowhere, some decent stuff came out on 8 and 9 so we agreed to play on until 12. Wouldn't you know, 10 and 11 were disasters, 3 lost balls over 2 holes! We agreed to cut our losses and packed in then.

Confidence is totally shot, going to have a few days off and try to forget about golf.