Macintyre Tee Marker Issue

NearHull

Visit site
Many golf courses do not allow two yards behind the measured back tee for men and women.
I came across this issue on a few tees whilst rating courses in 2019. The tombstones were sometimes within a couple of feet from the rear edge of a raised tee box. The daily tee markers were then a little forward.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I came across this issue on a few tees whilst rating courses in 2019. The tombstones were sometimes within a couple of feet from the rear edge of a raised tee box. The daily tee markers were then a little forward.
On many occasions I have also seen tees where you could not make a proper swing due to the close proximity of boundary fences and trees/shrubs.

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I also hate tee markers that you point in the wrong direction, it's just a psychological thing. If the markers are aiming right of the fairway, so I have to adjust and aim left, at the back of my mind I feel like I'm going to slice it more so it goes the way the tee markers are aimed. I know that's weird but golf is played between the ears as they say.

On the upside, it does increase the chance of your mate teeing up in front of the markers when they're not in line, so you can take the mick and call him a cheat. Mostly happens when the right marker is further forward and he only looks up at that one. :D

Swango1980

Visit site
We played at an away course a few years ago, and there were trees to the left side of the 1st tee. My mate teed up (right-handed) on left side of tee. He his a tree in his backswing, which resulted in an air shot. Good start to the round :)

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Of course the rating would have been done as if the fixed stones were 4 yards forward of the back of the tee pad. If all 18 holes had the same issue the official length would be 72 yards shorter ;)

It happens on a lot of courses where they were trying to squeeze out an extra few yards to get their old SSS up for the white tees.

sunshine

Visit site
I remember playing at the Addington and the tee markers on one hole were right at the back of the tee box. If you teed the ball up in line with the markers it was just on the back edge of the tee, so your back foot was standing in the rough. I did wonder if someone had moved them as a joke, but the standard of the tee boxes that day was so poor we might as well have been teeing off from the rough anyway.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I remember playing at the Addington and the tee markers on one hole were right at the back of the tee box. If you teed the ball up in line with the markers it was just on the back edge of the tee, so your back foot was standing in the rough. I did wonder if someone had moved them as a joke, but the standard of the tee boxes that day was so poor we might as well have been teeing off from the rough anyway.
I've had that at Haste Hill before (no surprise) on the 9th tee. They had the markers so far back that your right foot was about 4 inches lower than your left. ?‍♂️

HeftyHacker

Visit site
The 16th at my club has a big dog leg right with low trees up the right. The perfect line is straight over the trees and more right than feels sensible. You need about 200 yards to comfortably clear the trees and get on the fairway in prime location so not asking too much.

Both the tee and the markers face straight down the visible fairway, and for the life of me I cannot hit it in the desired direction. I can set up perfectly and I still end up pushing it left and straight down the visible fairway, often onto the 3rd which runs parallel, adding about 70 yards to the length of the hole ?‍♂️.

The only time I've ever ended up in the right spot was when I hit a huge slice. Feared the worse and found my ball on the centre line of the fairway.

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
How many people actually aim where the tee is pointing them? Can you not align yourself properly? ?

You should be able to align yourself properly, but many (including me) can't. Our 14th is a driveable par 4 for average hitters, 250ish to the centre of the green, slightly downhill, quite straight and there's a hedge parallel to the right and trees parallel to the left. SI 18 and rightly so. In the winter, the tee box moves 30 yards left and the parallel framing of the hole completely changes. A large proportion feel on their alignment that they are aiming far too much to the left (they're not) and correct themselves. Lot's of balls a long way right in the winter!

Golfnut1957

Visit site
I also hate tee markers that you point in the wrong direction, it's just a psychological thing. If the markers are aiming right of the fairway, so I have to adjust and aim left, at the back of my mind I feel like I'm going to slice it more so it goes the way the tee markers are aimed. I know that's weird but golf is played between the ears as they say.

On the upside, it does increase the chance of your mate teeing up in front of the markers when they're not in line, so you can take the mick and call him a cheat. Mostly happens when the right marker is further forward and he only looks up at that one. :D
This. Our Par 3 14th has a Tee raised tee box which aims right of the green. I really struggle with alignment often over compensating and finishing left.

On your second point. I have a mate who insists on teeing up bang in line with the two markers as if that extra inch will make all the difference. The number of times he gets it wrong and finds himself in front of the markers. We look out for it constantly, then let him address the ball, only telling him immediately before he starts swinging, so he has to go through the whole rigmarole again, with us all laughing at him.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Very strange. The only situation I can imagine there being a problem is on a blind tee shot, probably on a links course over a mound or something. If people don't look at the hole in front of them and take aim accordingly then they will never shoot decent scores :unsure:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
At my last club, the GK used to put the tee markers on 18 so close to the boundary fence that if you were over about 5 8, you couldn't swing a driver, or sometimes any wood at all. Quite oftrn in a medal I had to hit 5i off the tee, when the hole called for driver.
I actually have a recurring nightmare about this.

I am on a tee - with others watching and waiting to play - the tee ground is in a bay and it seems to have back and side walls - and no matter where I put my tee I cannot complete any sort of backswing. And I cannot understand how folks playing before me managed, but I cannot. And as much as I change the position of my tee I just can't - and end up doing an embarrassing little chip off the tee - just to get going.

azazel

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I actually have a recurring nightmare about this.

I am on a tee - with others watching and waiting to play - the tee ground is in a bay and it seems to have back and side walls - and no matter where I put my tee I cannot complete any sort of backswing. And I cannot understand how folks playing before me managed, but I cannot. And as much as I change the position of my tee I just can't - and end up doing an embarrassing little chip off the tee - just to get going.
That's weird - I have a very, very similar recurring dream.

For the people who can't aim in the right direction if the tee box isn't squared up to the target, how do you manage if you're in the rough and/or there isn't a nice straight fairway leading you to the green?! Once the ball is teed up surely the target in front of you is all that matters rather than anything to the side of you?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
That's weird - I have a very, very similar recurring dream.

For the people who can't aim in the right direction if the tee box isn't squared up to the target, how do you manage if you're in the rough and/or there isn't a nice straight fairway leading you to the green?! Once the ball is teed up surely the target in front of you is all that matters rather than anything to the side of you?
Trust me, I don't concern myself with what the fairway is doing. :LOL:

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Very strange. The only situation I can imagine there being a problem is on a blind tee shot, probably on a links course over a mound or something. If people don't look at the hole in front of them and take aim accordingly then they will never shoot decent scores :unsure:
On the 14th hole in question, I look at pin location, choose my target, pick a point just in front of me on that line and align myself to that thus ensuring that I am aiming at the target. And having done all that for some deep-rooted phycological and completely irrational reason I feel uncomfortable over the ball and feel as if I am aiming in the wrong direction....go figure.

Probably the same reason I can birdie every hole on the course but never during the same round.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
On the 14th hole in question, I look at pin location, choose my target, pick a point just in front of me on that line and align myself to that thus ensuring that I am aiming at the target. And having done all that for some deep-rooted phycological and completely irrational reason I feel uncomfortable over the ball and feel as if I am aiming in the wrong direction....go figure.

Probably the same reason I can birdie every hole on the course but never during the same round.
I have the very same problem.
It’s your eyesight.
I can line up on a hole where I think I am lined up ok.
Put my club on my toe line and be aiming miles right.

Same when putting.
Watched a Mike Malaska vid on you tube about it, very good it is.
He lines up on the green behind the ball puts a tee on his line in front of the ball.
Then takes a stance and the tee looks like it’s aiming very left.
It’s an optical illusion but does affect your aim.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
I have the very same problem.
It’s your eyesight.
I can line up on a hole where I think I am lined up ok.
Put my club on my toe line and be aiming miles right.

Same when putting.
Watched a Mike Malaska vid on you tube about it, very good it is.
He lines up on the green behind the ball puts a tee on his line in front of the ball.
Then takes a stance and the tee looks like it’s aiming very left.
It’s an optical illusion but does affect your aim.
Unsurprisingly I do I have the same problem with putting. I made a device consisting of two pegs and a line which I could run from the hole to my ball, the ball and the putter being under the line which is raised.
Using this I can guarantee that my eyes are directly over the ball, that I am aligned perfectly to the putt and that the club is coming back square. I can this and still feel as if I’m aiming too far left. I'm screwed.