Macintyre Tee Marker Issue

Wildrover

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Interesting scenario on 18th in Dubai today where a sprinkler was preventing Robert Macintyre from teeing up where he wanted to and was legally allowed too. This became an issue for me last year at my own club. I'm right handed and play with a draw, my club got new hole boards [you know hole number SI yardage etc] that are fixed into the ground thus immovable. There is one par 5 where I like to tee up on the extreme left of the markers and stand outside them on the left, quite often when playing off the whites the new board prevents this, effectively halving the size of the teeing area for a right hander. Just find it so frustrating, either put the board further back or don't put the markers directly at the side of it, the tee ground itself is massive?

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Anyone say it to the green keepers or Greens Committee? We have an issue on our last where the tees aren’t perpendicular to the fairway, they aim you way out right into the jungle. No idea how it happens every time?

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Anyone say it to the green keepers or Greens Committee? We have an issue on our last where the tees aren’t perpendicular to the fairway, they aim you way out right into the jungle. No idea how it happens every time?
Why do tee markers have to be square to the fairway?

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Why do tee markers have to be square to the fairway?

Why wouldn’t they be?! This isn’t a dogleg or anything, straight as you like, massive tee ground and the markers point you into cabbage. If it’s a tactic green keepers employ to make life difficult then it’s a strange one, can’t say I’ve seen it many places if it all ??

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Why wouldn’t they be?! This isn’t a dogleg or anything, straight as you like, massive tee ground and the markers point you into cabbage. If it’s a tactic green keepers employ to make life difficult then it’s a strange one, can’t say I’ve seen it many places if it all ??

I don’t mind the tee markers not being level, but I don’t like it when a tee box doesn’t line up with the fairway.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
How many people actually aim where the tee is pointing them? Can you not align yourself properly? ?

You’d be amazed how many can’t figure out why they’re always right.

Habit I guess, presuming they’re perpendicular. And some guys tee right up at one tee or the other like Bob, the tee pegs are square so it presents a non-parallel line. Maybe not a big deal to you but would be to others and my point is there’s absolutely no need for it. I can’t imagine you rock up to too many tour events and the tee box is set up skewways to the fairway.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
At my last club, the GK used to put the tee markers on 18 so close to the boundary fence that if you were over about 5 8, you couldn't swing a driver, or sometimes any wood at all. Quite oftrn in a medal I had to hit 5i off the tee, when the hole called for driver.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
More prevalent at weekends when they've been on the lash ??

I agree, sometimes the lads who put the markers out don't understand how much room there needs to be, ie enough to go back 2 club lengths unhindered and/or stand outside the markers ala MacIntyre.

I do like it when guys get upset that the markers aren't at 90 degress to the fairway though, especially when they haven't hit the short grass for 12 holes... ?

Ha, Hungover green staff might be the missing part of the puzzle ?

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
At my last club, the GK used to put the tee markers on 18 so close to the boundary fence that if you were over about 5 8, you couldn't swing a driver, or sometimes any wood at all. Quite oftrn in a medal I had to hit 5i off the tee, when the hole called for driver.

See it’s that artificial tricking up a hole that I can’t subscribe to. The hole is laid out as it is, and ok there’s a fence that might limit where the tee pegs can go but they should deal with that fairly. To prevent you from playing your club of choice is rubbish course set up imo

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
See it’s that artificial tricking up a hole that I can’t subscribe to. The hole is laid out as it is, and ok there’s a fence that might limit where the tee pegs can go but they should deal with that fairly. To prevent you from playing your club of choice is rubbish course set up imo

For sure. We used to complain like mad, but were never listened to.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
That's a joke. Tee box must be at least 2 club lengths.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
One club I played on one particular par 3 I couldn’t understand why every time I played the hole I hit it right into trees.

Then I realized the tee markers were aiming me that way, after I realized that it wasn’t a problem.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Interesting scenario on 18th in Dubai today where a sprinkler was preventing Robert Macintyre from teeing up where he wanted to and was legally allowed too. This became an issue for me last year at my own club. I'm right handed and play with a draw, my club got new hole boards [you know hole number SI yardage etc] that are fixed into the ground thus immovable. There is one par 5 where I like to tee up on the extreme left of the markers and stand outside them on the left, quite often when playing off the whites the new board prevents this, effectively halving the size of the teeing area for a right hander. Just find it so frustrating, either put the board further back or don't put the markers directly at the side of it, the tee ground itself is massive?

Tee distance markers must be fixed and for competition purposes the tees for the day must be with +/- 10 yards of the fixed distance marker so the fact that the tee is massive could be irrelevant.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Why should the tees be perpendicular to the fairway? Good old fashioned course design ploy so the un observant would aim in the wrong direction. One other trick would be to mow at an angle towards the rough rather than towards the fairway.

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The 2nd tee box at Croham Hurst can be quite off putting unless tees are well forward or back.Croham Hurst 2nd.jpg

Wildrover

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Tee distance markers must be fixed and for competition purposes the tees for the day must be with +/- 10 yards of the fixed distance marker so the fact that the tee is massive could be irrelevant.
I realise this, so why put the hole board right next to the tee meaning everyone has to tee off from the exact same point meaning that area gets badly worn?

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site

Not strictly true. You can have one tee as much as 80 yards out, as long as the others are well back. As I understand it. It's about total length.