Tee shots next to a road or similar

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
We played Leven Links in a pairs competition a few weeks ago.. I think it was on the 3rd or 4th hole, the pair playing with us had the honour so teed off first, then I hit a decent one down the left (by pulling it a touch rather than by aim) Then my PP did a monumental, and booming slice right into the caravan park.. “clang” oops that has definitely hit a caravan roof we commented. PP reloaded and hit one way left (as one might expect) As we were walking down the fairway we noticed a couple standing at the fence, my PP said “oh heck is that a welcoming committee” it was then we noticed the guy was stood at the boundary fence, looking rather frustrated and with his “tap aff” (top off) which wouldn’t be out of place except it was around 09:45 in the morning, mildly Misty and overcast. We were greeted with “yer sh*te at golf and ya nearly hit my boy” My first thought was ? ‘why would his boy be on the caravan roof’ but deciding it best not to ask I carried on walking, it was then that the Ned by the fence was joined by a 20 something looking lad with a snarling Alsatian type dog ? “you nearly hit us, do ya want ya baw back” before throwing it quite aggressively over the fence. A lucky escape we all thought but then all four of them Mr Ned, Mrs Ned, junior Ned and the hanger on Ned were all shouting advice like “ma granny hits it further than you” and “you need tae go tae specshavers” with “if a was as cr*p as you I’d be takin up fishing” whilst all laughing at their own hilarity. All four of them stood staring ???? as we took our next shots (in fact all 5 as snarling dog was fixated on us too) sniggering incomprehensible words at us. Myself and the other pairing chuckled about it for the rest of the round but my PP’s game was ruined, his nerves were shattered after his run in. I’m so glad my default bad shot is a pull ?
When we had a forum meet there years ago, the guy we were playing with hit it at the caravan park and cleared it, he wasn't so lucky on the (think it was) 15 where he hit it 3 streets into the town , with a loud smash and a car alarm going off:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Seahouses has a very nervy one. Morpeth has one behind a hedge but still very much there. They are not good for the nerves, ir the drivers ?
Before I played golf we walked along a footpath at Seahouses that runs between two fairways from the road to the clifftop. Almost a suicide mission. On reflection we would probably have been better off on the fairway or walking down the middle of the road.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
A couple of holes at Epsom are close to a busy road, but one in particular is mental - the 11th, I think. A par 5 and whilst it is a wide fairway, hitting a hook could very easily cause a big accident.

Who is actually responsible for any damage caused by an errant shot?

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
There is a similar tee shot nearer to home on the 4th hole at The Leicestershire, which I've only played once but again aimed well left simply to avoid any danger of ending up on the road.

Forty years ago my best mate lived with his parents in a house about 200 yards from that tee, across the road. He was never short of golf balls!

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
A couple of holes at Epsom are close to a busy road, but one in particular is mental - the 11th, I think. A par 5 and whilst it is a wide fairway, hitting a hook could very easily cause a big accident.

Who is actually responsible for any damage caused by an errant shot?

You are or hopefully the club's insurance.

There are clubs that force members to only hit an iron off tees like that.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Hawick has a beauty. The 1st and 18th are both par 3's and have a shared green, which is only a few yards from the boundary fence, the other side of which, is in truth, a fairly quiet road, but you still need to pick the right time to tee off.

Seacroft is even better. Every hole on the way out seems to have Gibraltar Rd as its right-hand boundary, and that road was pretty busy on the day.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I've played both these courses many years ago.

Looking back at the 1st at Selkirk. Try not to go long and left with your shot to the green.

Selkirk.jpg

At Clyne, take care when playing the hole that crosses a road.

Clyne.jpg

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
This is the 9th at Machrie Bay on Arran, the A841 passes just in front of the green as you can see.

It's a 246 yard par 4 and stood on the tee it's hard to see the road but this is drivable distance for many with modern gear, luckily it's not a busy road.

1627200734427.png

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
The 16th & 17th at Sheringham are right beside The Poppy Railway line, with proper Choo Choo puffers ?

One really does not want to slice one there ?

sunshine

Visit site
Never played either but seem to remember, Verulam GC may have a tee over a road and Berkhampstead as well.

Verulam has a par 3 over a road, there is a big net to stop any thinned shots from hitting a car.

Berkhamsted has 2 tee shots across a road. 5th/14th the tee is next to the road and your playing partner needs to watch the road and tell you when it’s clear. Apparently if you are on your own you need to play from the ladies tee on the other side of the road.

The 9th/18th the road is in a valley and you hit your drive over the cars below. Quite intimidating if you are nervous with the driver :eek: It’s a good hole though

sunshine

Visit site
Obvious answers but 18th at North Berwick and the Old Course are very similar with a road all the way down the right and the most direct line to the green is tight down the right.

I saw plenty of pros clattering their ball into the buildings down 18 during practice for the Open at St Andrew’s.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Verulam has a par 3 over a road, there is a big net to stop any thinned shots from hitting a car.

Berkhamsted has 2 tee shots across a road. 5th/14th the tee is next to the road and your playing partner needs to watch the road and tell you when it’s clear. Apparently if you are on your own you need to play from the ladies tee on the other side of the road.

The 9th/18th the road is in a valley and you hit your drive over the cars below. Quite intimidating if you are nervous with the driver :eek: It’s a good hole though
Used to cycle around that area in the 90s a lot, There was a course, on the way to out of Hemel a 9 holes, Bowxmore common maybe that had a few holes with downhill holes with the greens next to the main road

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
Minchinhampton Old Course is on common land, with 5 seperare milding busy roads running through it. One green sits in the corner of a cross roads, where shots of around 10 yards off line (left or big) finish on or beyond the road.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I've hit a tram at Mitcham as the tracks runs through it. Hythe has the seafront with cars/people right next to it. Nearly hit a car at Wildernesse but that was a snap hook over the trees protecting the road.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
The 4th (?) at Irvine - where the edge of the green literally touches the wall which separates the course from the railway line.

And I seem to recall several greens at Gullane's three courses are right by the road?