Tee shots next to a road or similar

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I played Leven Links on Wednesday and I was put off on a few drives where the tee shot is close to a road and the shot is parallel to it. A sliced drive on any of the first four holes there could either end up on a road or in tthe middle of a caravan park and a slice on the 16th could easily hit a parked car. I ended up aiming way left away from the danger as I was too scared of damaging someone or something if the drive went right. A couple of times I hit a nice gentle fade which was perfect (although not intended), but on a couple of others I went straight left either into bushes or if lucky on to another fairway.

There is a similar tee shot nearer to home on the 4th hole at The Leicestershire, which I've only played once but again aimed well left simply to avoid any danger of ending up on the road.

I rarely hit a big slice, although they do happen occasionally, but it wouldn't take much of a fade in some of these instances to put the ball into a dangerous place

Does anyone else have any similar shots that they don't enjoy and feel that they can't aim where they want to?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Quite common up here, the struie at Dornoch has several roads cutting across the coures, Fortrose has a road running right through the middle of it and muire of Ord the railway line again right smack in the middle.moray old is very close to a road onat least half a dozen holes

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
A decent hook off our 10th or 18th and you're on the road but there are a lot of trees to miss first..
Biggest traffic problem we have at the moment is the 11th tee.
The road is about 20 yards behind you and there's a loose manhole cover that makes a massive CLANK every time e a car goes past.
You have to time your swing so you don't get CLANKED mid shot.
Seen many a car park that is only a minor slice away from the fairway..

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
The pitch & putt course at Ambleside. One hole runs alongside a road full of parked cars, to the right. Having just shanked two consecutive shots onto the tennis court, involving a long walk to retrieve the ball & the amusement of my non golfing daughter, I was super nervous playing the hole. Managed to keep it on the course but had a couple more unmentionables on the way in.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hurtmore in Surrey right next to the A3.

I used to play Gole Farm near Brookwood with a road to the left of the first and for the extremist a railway line just past that.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
The pitch & putt course at Ambleside. One hole runs alongside a road full of parked cars, to the right. Having just shanked two consecutive shots onto the tennis court, involving a long walk to retrieve the ball & the amusement of my non golfing daughter, I was super nervous playing the hole. Managed to keep it on the course but had a couple more unmentionables on the way in.
I can picture that p&p very clearly having been in and through the place very many times. I’ve been tempted to give it a wee go but your observation re the roads and the hosel of your club suggests that maybe I won’t ??

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
The story goes that the longest drive ever was off the 1st at Pike Hills, which runs parallel to the A64. It was found by the driver of a lorry in Scarborough 45 miles away, who recognised the player's marking.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Quite common up here, the struie at Dornoch has several roads cutting across the coures, Fortrose has a road running right through the middle of it and muire of Ord the railway line again right smack in the middle.moray old is very close to a road onat least half a dozen holes
I played Fortrose a couple of years ago and had forgotten that one. If I remember correctly one of the par 3s requires a shot over the road. I guess the difference there is that it’s a minor road and you can see the cars, so it’s a matter of waiting until it’s clear before playing a shot.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
There is, or used to be a par 3 at Wetherby that had a road directly behind it. On the tee was a sign which always made me. chuckle, politely asking players not to hit balls onto the road.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I played Fortrose a couple of years ago and had forgotten that one. If I remember correctly one of the par 3s requires a shot over the road. I guess the difference there is that it’s a minor road and you can see the cars, so it’s a matter of waiting until it’s clear before playing a shot.
It's rammed at the moment with people going to see the dolphins, car park has been so full there were even cars parked in that road a couple of weeks ago, car park is only a hook away ? as well... I hit the roof of a car playing 18th at the old torvean about 12 years ago, shermaned my 2nd, car didn't even stop. Hole has moved slightly, but still possible on the new layout

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
First hole at Prestwick has a railway platform next to the tee.
First fairway is cut right up to the wall the length of the hole.

Kirkby GC has the M57 only a minor hook from the 16th tee but the only thing I have ever seen go over the fence was a pps driver head.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
There is, or used to be a par 3 at Wetherby that had a road directly behind it. On the tee was a sign which always made me. chuckle, politely asking players not to hit balls onto the road.
It was the old 18th. There was a service road (from the car park to the 1st tee and locker room) between the back of the green and the windows of the clubhouse. The hole no longer exists.
The month before work started on rebuilding that part of the course, the city council issued an enforcement (?) notice saying that safety netting had to be put in place or the hole would be closed.

PS. Just been told by my wife it was more likely the old 14th played from the old railway embankment uo to the road behind.

Last edited:

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
16th on the Ashludie at Monifieth links has a road running down the full length of the hole - slicers nightmare - first six holes on the Medal course have the main Aberdeen - London railway right down the right hand side of them - I may have put a couple of balls onto the track in the last few weeks :oops:

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Our course has an extremely busy road running parallel to it for its full length. A couple of years ago, my PP hit a dreadful slice which sailed over the boundary fence and hit the windscreen of an oncoming car, shattering it. The driver lost control and crashed into a bus travelling in the opposite direction. It was carnage.
In total shock I said to him OMG what have you done? To which he replied "I not 100% certain, but I think that if I strengthen my right hand that should cure the slice".

Apologies in advance. I know it is an old one, but I couldn't resist.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Our course has an extremely busy road running parallel to it for its full length. A couple of years ago, my PP hit a dreadful slice which sailed over the boundary fence and hit the windscreen of an oncoming car, shattering it. The driver lost control and crashed into a bus travelling in the opposite direction. It was carnage.
In total shock I said to him OMG what have you done? To which he replied "I not 100% certain, but I think that if I strengthen my right hand that should cure the slice".

Apologies in advance. I know it is an old one, but I couldn't resist.
Had me for a bit there I was feeling sorry for him.:eek:
But it’s obvious it’s his swingpath not his grip.

Boomy

Visit site
We played Leven Links in a pairs competition a few weeks ago.. I think it was on the 3rd or 4th hole, the pair playing with us had the honour so teed off first, then I hit a decent one down the left (by pulling it a touch rather than by aim) Then my PP did a monumental, and booming slice right into the caravan park.. “clang” oops that has definitely hit a caravan roof we commented. PP reloaded and hit one way left (as one might expect) As we were walking down the fairway we noticed a couple standing at the fence, my PP said “oh heck is that a welcoming committee” it was then we noticed the guy was stood at the boundary fence, looking rather frustrated and with his “tap aff” (top off) which wouldn’t be out of place except it was around 09:45 in the morning, mildly Misty and overcast. We were greeted with “yer sh*te at golf and ya nearly hit ma boy” My first thought was ? ‘why would his boy be on the caravan roof’ but deciding it best not to ask I carried on walking, it was then that the Ned by the fence was joined by a 20 something looking lad with a snarling Alsatian type dog ? “you nearly hit us, do ya want ya baw back” before throwing it quite aggressively over the fence. A lucky escape we all thought but then all four of them Mr Ned, Mrs Ned, junior Ned and the hanger on Ned were all shouting advice like “ma granny hits it further than you” and “you need tae go tae specshavers” with “if a was as cr*p as you I’d be takin up fishing” whilst all laughing at their own hilarity. All four of them stood staring ???? as we took our next shots (in fact all 5 as snarling dog was fixated on us too) sniggering incomprehensible words at us. Myself and the other pairing chuckled about it for the rest of the round but my PP’s game was ruined, his nerves were shattered after his run in. I’m so glad my default bad shot is a pull ?

Last edited: