Tee shots next to a road or similar

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The 8th tee on the Park Course at Cams Hall has the main A27 running behind it and there are traffic lights directly behind the tee. Not a problem in terms of where your tee shot goes but you're always expecting some clown to shriek something as you are about to hot your shot.

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The direct line of the tee shot of the 8th at Gosport and Stokes Bay goes over part of the MOD property of Fort Monkton, similar to the Road Hole at St Andrews. Any sort of slice and your ball is ending up on MOD property.

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Also, the 3rd at Bramshaw Forest runs alongside the Bramshaw cricket ground. From the tee you can see the boundary fence. If you hook your tee shot its going onto the outfield!

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The par 5 7th at Queens Park is rather close to the A338 as well. There's fencing up but it does play on your mind when on the tee that if you hook it badly then your ball is likely to be troubling the traffic!

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The tee shot on the 7th at Burley is one not to slice on either as its a bit close to the road down to the A35! (On a roll with these now :D)

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
And the 17th at Boundary Lakes (the course next to Hampshire's Cricket Ground) runs alongside the Nursery Ground. On more than one occasion I've been watching a game only to see a small white ball appear on the outfield!

sunshine

Visit site
The Piccadilly line runs straight through the middle of Wyke Green. There are holes running parallel to the tube but it would have to be a pretty spectacular hook/slice to hit a train (I'm sure I could manage it).

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
My club has a busy road running down one side. The 14th runs parallel to it, and was a short par 4, making it worse as people would often try and drive the green. Unfortunately the other week somebody must have got that wrong as apparently a ball went in the road and hit a passing car. Council weren't happy, and our club didn't have the money to put high nets up, so they've now shortened it to a little par 3 with a temp green - there were already plans to change the 14th and 15th around so that hole is no more, essentially. Shame really as I liked it, got my only ever eagle there.

The 17th is also by the road, but they've put the tee right in the back right corner so you have to hit more away from the road to get around the right hand trees, so that one should alright now.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Our second, a par 5 heads back towards the town with the green sitting adjacent to what is undoubtably the busiest road in town. The out of bounds fence sits about 15yds behind the green, but the road is actually about 15 feet above the level of the green, probably another 20yrds back and protected by thick shrubbery.
As we all know, most amateurs tend to come up short rather than go long, and consequently the road is very rarely threatened. However, playing with my mate, I watched in amazement as he hit his third shot into the green, thin.
It airmailed the green, then the boundary, sailing towards the road, hit a lamppost and bounced back into the centre of the green. Two putt par, simple.

Patster1969

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hurtmore in Surrey right next to the A3.

I used to play Gole Farm near Brookwood with a road to the left of the first and for the extremist a railway line just past that.
Have played at Hurtmore, a PP hit a huge hook over the top of the trees on the left towards the A3 - we were awaiting a screech of brakes or a crash. Luckily, nothing.
Gole Farm was my first introduction to golf as a kid - my grand-dad took my there (I was maybe 12). One of the first times we played, we watched a lady on the first tee take out a fairway wood (the hole was probably 80 yards max), hit a real bouncing bomb/dambusters top (it probably didn't reach 15 foot off the ground) and after about 6 or 7 bounces, plopped into the hole for a 1 - my grand-dad asked if drinks were on her at the clubhouse to be met by a stoney silence (I don't even remember her being that excited about the hole in one, as it only says 1 on the card regardless of how you hit it).
I'm sure the pond that was on the right side of the green had it's own magnetic field, as I put a lot of balls in there, as it came into play on both the 1st & the 2nd green).
The 18 hole par 3 at Hoebridge used to have a copy of holes that ran along the road. I've hit a big slice over the fence when they used to have the tee right at the back, took a very big bounce off the road (narrowly missing a car) and bounced over the big wall into the school grounds on the other side of the road - I didn't bother looking. I think they've actually changed the hole slightly now.

Last edited:

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
10th at North Wilts.
In one County Championship my PP was going well [second round] then snap hooked two identical shots which ended bouncing down the busy road.

Lochcarron has a very intimidating road running through it.

Last edited:

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
I think it was Looe in Cornwall, the driveway up to the club runs parallel to the first hole, person was playing with cracked a drive straight down the road, it bounced all the way down the drive then turned left down the road at the end

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
10th at North Wilts.
In one County Championship my PP was going well [second round] then snap hooked two identical shots which ended bouncing down the busy road.

Lochcarron has a very intimidating road running through it.
The Lochcarron road has always been fairly quiet when I've played.
I used to be a member at Loudoun Gowf where the road was pretty busy alongside the course, father in law nearly hit a car when I played with him.

Visit site
The 18th at North Berwick. A pal of mine (sadly no longer with us), managed to put his ball over the road and into the back yard of the first house on the right. Made a hell of a din when the ball struck the dustbin. My pal (who had terrible eyesight), said "where the f7&k did that go?" We replied....."listen"!! Very funny moment, and I always think of him when I play that hole.
Sadly, I probably won't play North Berwick ever again, at £150/round. Not worth it IMHO.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The 18th at North Berwick. A pal of mine (sadly no longer with us), managed to put his ball over the road and into the back yard of the first house on the right. Made a hell of a din when the ball struck the dustbin. My pal (who had terrible eyesight), said "where the f7&k did that go?" We replied....."listen"!! Very funny moment, and I always think of him when I play that hole.
Sadly, I probably won't play North Berwick ever again, at £150/round. Not worth it IMHO.
Played the 18th at NB in a tense bounce match, there was a slight haar and you could not see the green.
I was two shots down and my big hitting opponent hit a great drive which I guessed would probably be on the green.
I launched into my drive which went right, towards the car park.
Listened fearfully for any noise, nothing.
Walked down the right hand fairway hoping I stayed in bounds or had a re-bound off a wall or car.
One ball was lying in the middle of the green.
My opponent then shouts this is yours, I'm over the back.
Unfortunately he chipped up dead close.:(