Macintyre Tee Marker Issue

D

Deleted Member 1156

If you can't line up properly then I suggest you mark a line on your ball and use that both on the greens and on the tee. If you aim the line where you want the ball to start and square the clubface to it then you don't need to worry about what your eyes are telling you.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
I actually have a recurring nightmare about this.

I am on a tee - with others watching and waiting to play - the tee ground is in a bay and it seems to have back and side walls - and no matter where I put my tee I cannot complete any sort of backswing. And I cannot understand how folks playing before me managed, but I cannot. And as much as I change the position of my tee I just can't - and end up doing an embarrassing little chip off the tee - just to get going.
Me too :eek:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you can't line up properly then I suggest you mark a line on your ball and use that both on the greens and on the tee. If you aim the line where you want the ball to start and square the clubface to it then you don't need to worry about what your eyes are telling you.
It’s not that simple ,should be but it’s not.
Halfway down your brain tells you your aiming to far right/left and a push / pull is very easy to do.
I practice with sticks and no problem.
The brain is a very scary thing. It’s very frustrating.
Most of my practice now is alignment.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Unsurprisingly I do I have the same problem with putting. I made a device consisting of two pegs and a line which I could run from the hole to my ball, the ball and the putter being under the line which is raised.
Using this I can guarantee that my eyes are directly over the ball, that I am aligned perfectly to the putt and that the club is coming back square. I can this and still feel as if I’m aiming too far left. I'm screwed.
Try putting with one eye.
See which one is best.
Then buy an eye patch.
Seriously an optician might be able to help with glasses that even your eyesight up.
Bit extreme but it may work. It might be your dominant eye is to dominant.
I had laser surgery 20 yrs ago but it’s wearing off and this is now a problem again.
But my new glasses do seem to be working, time will tell.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
There's a couple of tee boxes at my place that, for some reason, I always struggle to align myself.
Not an issue on the other 16 holes, but these 2 ...I just can't feel comfy over the tee shot.
It mostly finishes decently but it never feels "right"

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There's a couple of tee boxes at my place that, for some reason, I always struggle to align myself.
Not an issue on the other 16 holes, but these 2 ...I just can't feel comfy over the tee shot.
It mostly finishes decently but it never feels "right"
Yes we have a few tee areas that are round ,so with no lines to aim you they do seem easier to play from.
We have also gone to large golf ball tee markers so no straight lines ,

D

Deleted Member 1156

Halfway down your brain tells you your aiming to far right/left and a push / pull is very easy to do.
Well if your having that much difficulty then maybe golf isn't the right sport for you?

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

It’s the dominance of one eye over the other, I have the same issue.

One way I can combat it is to stand behind the ball, pick a spot in front of it but then look way into the distance at the top of a tree in that line. Further the better. Then walk up and address the ball while looking at that far off spot. The idea is you align your body to the distant target and when you look Down at the ball the Spot is just a reinforcement that you’re in the right place.

However. If I don’t constantly check my alignment in practice rounds by stopping myself every now and then and laying the club at my feet to ensure I’m aligned properly, I will drift right. Imperceptible adjustments in my swing will compensate for this and I won’t realise it until I’m hooking wildly, and then realise I’m way right again. Frustrating yes. But then I heard a tour pro say asked what most pros are out there working on and he said alignment.

Maybe they’re in the wrong game ???

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Wow ?
Me too, sounds like exactly the same recurring dream.
Doesn't matter where I tee the ball up, I just can't make a backswing as there's something right behind the ball in the way. And it doesn't matter where you move to, the same thing happens over and over...
Bizarre.
The additional bit of the nightmare I didn't add but that makes it worse ... is that I am usually rushing to get onto the tee - late turning up at the club and often finding myself getting lost in the clubhouse looking for the visitors changing rooms, and then not being able to find my way to the 1st tee. And then I find it and onto the tee I rush...and then...aaargh!!!

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It’s the dominance of one eye over the other, I have the same issue.

One way I can combat it is to stand behind the ball, pick a spot in front of it but then look way into the distance at the top of a tree in that line. Further the better. Then walk up and address the ball while looking at that far off spot. The idea is you align your body to the distant target and when you look Down at the ball the Spot is just a reinforcement that you’re in the right place.

However. If I don’t constantly check my alignment in practice rounds by stopping myself every now and then and laying the club at my feet to ensure I’m aligned properly, I will drift right. Imperceptible adjustments in my swing will compensate for this and I won’t realise it until I’m hooking wildly, and then realise I’m way right again. Frustrating yes. But then I heard a tour pro say asked what most pros are out there working on and he said alignment.

Maybe they’re in the wrong game ???
Try this Mike Malaska drill on the carpet.
Put a ball and cup 20ft ,from behind the ball put a coin in line but cover it with a scorecard.
Then line yourself up at adress ,remove the scorecard .
The marker looks miles left to me it’s very strange.
Even though I know it’s in-line my brain can’t compute it.
So I mainly have a push as I compensate for this.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The additional bit of the nightmare I didn't add but that makes it worse ... is that I am usually rushing to get onto the tee - late turning up at the club and often finding myself getting lost in the clubhouse looking for the visitors changing rooms, and then not being able to find my way to the 1st tee. And then I find it and onto the tee I rush...and then...aaargh!!!
Mine is I am on the tee and can’t find my bag.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Mine is I am on the tee and can’t find my bag.

This is becoming like a therapy session.

Try this Mike Malaska drill on the carpet.
Put a ball and cup 20ft ,from behind the ball put a coin in line but cover it with a scorecard.
Then line yourself up at adress ,remove the scorecard .
The marker looks miles left to me it’s very strange.
Even though I know it’s in-line my brain can’t compute it.
So I mainly have a push as I compensate for this.

I can completely understand why that would happen. The thing that released me from that push was realising my eyes don’t have to be directly over the ball. They can be behind or over it, whatever allows me to see down the line in parallel. Again hard to undo years of training yourself to be in a certain position over a putt but doable.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This is becoming like a therapy session.

I can completely understand why that would happen. The thing that released me from that push was realising my eyes don’t have to be directly over the ball. They can be behind or over it, whatever allows me to see down the line in parallel. Again hard to undo years of training yourself to be in a certain position over a putt but doable.
Nothing wrong with a little therapy.;)

Spot on .
This is what Malaska says in his vid.
He quotes Nicklaus putting style and says it’s why Jack moves a lot when lining up.
He is trying to get the spot he’s picked on line.