Tee Marker Width

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Is there a regulation on how far apart they should be?? We had a ridiculous situation on the 18th yesterday where they had been placed too close together to even stand between them, so we all had to tee up a foot or two behind them - except for the left-hander who was able to stand outside the right marker. Right-hander couldn't even do that because it was over at the left side of the tee box.

One player remarked that it was likely the apprentices may have put them out and didn't know what they were doing. There was three holes where I felt they were too narrow but this was the narrowest.

Here's a photo so you can see how daft it was:
https://ibb.co/BrffDVS

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Is there a regulation on how far apart they should be?? We had a ridiculous situation on the 18th yesterday where they had been placed too close together to even stand between them, so we all had to tee up a foot or two behind them - except for the left-hander who was able to stand outside the right marker. Right-hander couldn't even do that because it was over at the left side of the tee box.

One player remarked that it was likely the apprentices may have put them out and didn't know what they were doing. There was three holes where I felt they were too narrow but this was the narrowest.

Haha!

Can you be sure that some joker hadn't moved them earlier in the day, or the previous day?

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

My first thoughts were, why didn't the first group out just use a bit of common sense and move the markers to an acceptable distance apart, then remembered it's not allowed.
We have a team who open for comps and part of the duties is to go walk the course to check that nothing has been tampered with overnight.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
In my old guide the R&A used to recommend 6 or 7 paces.
They also made the comment that left and right handers should have the same opportunity to place the ball in the same place (so no extreme left or right of the box).

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Haha!

Can you be sure that some joker hadn't moved them earlier in the day, or the previous day?
Impossible to tell! One of our group assumed that and was about to pick up the right one to move it, when another player stopped him and said you can't move the tee markers in the rules, which makes sense of course. So we just had to deal with it. We were the first group out at 8am though, so who knows. The guy who reckoned it was the apprentices greenkeepers also remarked "this is what you get when people who don't play golf are putting the markers out".

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
In my old guide the R&A used to recommend 6 or 7 paces.
They also made the comment that left and right handers should have the same opportunity to place the ball in the same place (so no extreme left or right of the box).
This was about as far left as you can go on the tee box as well (as you can see in the picture) so the right-handers effectively only had about a foot wide area in which we could tee it up.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you were the first group.........I'd have moved it. Fair for all.
As mentioned - we believed there was a rule that prevents you just moving the tee markers willy nilly so we left them alone. ??‍♂️

It's like the rules discussion we had about out of bounds markers - I was told you can't just assume what was meant, you have to play it as it is, even if that means an illogical straight line that cuts off a perfectly playable area of grass. Same thing here I guess - as illogical as it seems we just have to play it as it is.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
As mentioned - we believed there was a rule that prevents you just moving the tee markers willy nilly so we left them alone. ??‍♂️

It's like the rules discussion we had about out of bounds markers - I was told you can't just assume what was meant, you have to play it as it is, even if that means an illogical straight line that cuts off a perfectly playable area of grass. Same thing here I guess - as illogical as it seems we just have to play it as it is.
I get that, and you are right. However, we will just keep this between the 2 of us so the rules fans don't go into hypderdrive ;), if the first group moves it a bit wider then no harm done. You all agree to it, everyone happy. The picture you showed is plain daft. That patch will have been trashed by the end of the day.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
As we don’t have to tee up on the line between the markers there is no substantive issue whatsoever that I can see. Just tee up a foot behind the line. That said I might not like it that much myself as I never tee up with tee marker between me and my ball.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

As you obviously had the phone with you, why didn't you ring the club/Pro shop and ask about it - sending the pic as 'WTF'?!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
As we don’t have to tee up on the line between the markers there is no substantive issue whatsoever that I can see. Just tee up a foot behind the line. That said I might not like it that much myself as I never tee up with tee marker between me and my ball.
It's just that usually you get a bit of scope to choose where you tee up, i.e. right side to hit a fade or give a better angle through trees etc. Here we had no choice whatsoever, there was really only one playable teeing spot.

As you obviously had the phone with you, why didn't you ring the club/Pro shop and ask about it - sending the pic as 'WTF'?!
Obviously none of use thought of that, but I'll probably send the pic to the office on email today and ask what the crack was.

Albo

Visit site
Was this in a comp or just a general play round?

For me I'd move it regardless. Its a game we play for fun, its not our career, nor live and death in any way. Who cares if its a comp and you get DQed.

I don't understand why anyone in any circumstance wouldn't just move it to a sensible place